Moby - Hyperthyroidism

pinta

Post   » Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:17 pm

I think we do a different test in Canada. We need 0.5cc blood for the test. Last pig we did, Bliss, a skinny, had some taken from each leg. Gretchen was more generous - bled like a stuck pig from the forearm.

You may need less blood to do the test.

Allysse

Post   » Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:46 pm

Moby's tests are taken from the jugular vein, in the neck. I don't know how much is taken.

AliceMcmallis
Supporter in '08

Post   » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:33 am

My vet takes blood from the jugular as well. I am also in Canada so she probably takes the same amount as pinta stated for the T4.

edited to add: My vet anaesthetises pigs when she takes the blood from the jugular.

AliceMcmallis
Supporter in '08

Post   » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:23 pm

Apparently I lied without knowing it. I spoke with my vet and she no longer takes blood from the jugular. She learned a new technique for taking blood while at a conference in Florida early this year.

It's very difficult to explain though, so she asked that if anyone's vets are interested they can email me and I will provide her email address so they can contact her directly. I believe it's taking blood from the vena cava (sp?) but I could be mistaken. She also confirmed that she takes 0.5 ccs at a time.