Male with bladder stone--need a good vet

TWP_2

Post   » Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:40 pm

The recommendation from K-State veterenary hospital was that twice a day was perfectly fine, so long as the maximum daily dose was not exceeded.

If you are particularly concerned, you can switch to 0.3 mL once a day, but it is really not a concern.

luvmypigs2

Post   » Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:59 pm

Oreo's twice a day dosage is vet recommended.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:45 pm

We have split Metacam dosages into twice a day with noticeable benefit, no ill effect, and with our vet's okay.

This was not done for more than a few days (4-6) at the time, however.

Becky

Post   » Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:25 pm

I believe the protocol for metacam/meloxicam is twice daily for the first three days, then once a day.

In this particular case, it seems to me that controlling the pain is pretty important. Poor little guy.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:51 pm

I agree with Becky. Considering Peppi's condition, pain control is the biggest goal. Ultimately, for Gilbert, we worked out with our vet to give him about 75% of his daily dose in the evening, and another 25% in the morning to help with the breakthrough discomfort.

JudiL-MetroGPRescue
Poop Obsessed

Post   » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:29 pm

I agree with controlling pain. Its just that meloxicam is an NSAID, and this class of drug does carry potential GI problems. Both of the vets I use said they wouldn't prescribe it more than once a day, but if they absolutely had to for some reason, they would supplement with Carafate to offset any problems.

There is no written protocol for this med. Anyway, I just wanted to be sure that the potential GI issue was not forgotten.

TWP_2

Post   » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:04 pm

One of the primary benefits of Melixicam over other NSAIDS is a lower incidence of GI problems. Much better than, say, Ibuprofen or Naproxen.

Jim

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:24 pm

Anyway, I just wanted to be sure that the potential GI issue was not forgotten.

This is a good point. Our vet urged us to monitor Gilbert carefully. He wasn't bothered by it at all; Henry was more sensitive to it.

Becky

Post   » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:53 pm

I've had three different vets Rx metacam for both guinea pigs and cats and every single time, it's been twice a day for the first three days, then once a day after. Whether this is written protocol or not, it certainly seems to be the way it is given.

Of course people should be aware of possible GI issues, however, for you to write in bold not to give it twice a day--that you're not supposed to give it more than once a day when that is what extremely competent and trusted vets have done in the past might give the impression that this is a life-threatening drug when in fact, it's been extremely important to the recovery and longevity of many, many animals.

Yes, there's a potential for GI issues, just the same as there is for any NSAID. But when I dislocated my elbow, believe me, the GI issues were the least of my problems. I took the prescribed large doses of Advil.

capybara
Supporter in '13

Post   » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:53 pm

Hi all, sorry for the slow response. Still trying to shake this cold and I haven't been online much.

I noted the concerns with GI upset and twice a day Metacam. As Becky said further up, in Peppi's case, we are more concerned with keeping him as comfortable as possible. We've had him on twice a day doses since Tuesday, and I don't think it is causing him any trouble. His poops look normal, although small. He's not eating much, but I think that's from his illness rather than the Metacam.

We actually did ok for a couple days with handfeeding. We had added sweet potato baby food to his CC and he really liked that, but now he's sick of it again. He fought us last night and we could only get about 5 or 6 CCs into him. He has also lost more weight, hovering now at about 900 g. Peppi is also sitting around puffy more often throughout the day, and while I would not consider it an impaction per say, because they do come out easily when on our lap, he sits around so much that poos just kind of sit in his butt. Unfortunately, I think Becky is also right that his teeth may be starting to overgrow slightly. He has developed a bad habit of chewing on our clothes, blankets or whatever he can get to when he is out on our lap. I think his teeth might feel weird to him, but at this stage of his illness, filing is not an option. He still wants his treats.

Vinod just got some Thermacare wraps to put under his bed, so I hope that will make him feel nice and warm.

I had two guinea pigs at different points while growing up that got very sick. I think they were both put to sleep (unfortunately by a parent while I was at school). It was obvious that they felt really bad, because they ignored our attention and lost interest in all food, even veggies. Peppi has been very hard for me to read and I think it may be a personality issue. Despite his continued interest in his favorite foods, he looks very uncomfortable most of the day. We have an appointment Monday for an x-ray. I think that seeing the stage the stone is at now will help to solidify in our minds the right thing to do for him at this point.

Thanks as usual for all your help, and sorry (as usual) for the long post.

Serena
It started with Louie...

Post   » Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:11 pm

Thanks for the update and give Peppi a kiss for me.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:18 pm

I'm sorry Peppi is having such a hard time. Kisses from all of us, especially Henry.

Also, the Thermacare wraps should help. We found we had really good luck with those and the generic brand at Walmart (they are packaged differently - the ones for your back come with two individual packs for each use, so you actually get four heat packs). Gilbert and Sully both really liked sleeping on them - it helped a lot with the discomfort.