Male with bladder stone--need a good vet

capybara
Supporter in '13

Post   » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:35 pm

Oh! I just forgot; there was something else important I had on mind. Peppi's had what the vet thinks is a sebaceous cyst on his side for several months now. It's not "attached" at all; it moves freely beneath the skin. It has been getting larger slowly, but it doesn't seem to bother him. His bladder stone x-ray showed nothing that indicated it could be a tumor or anything dangerous, but I am concerned since it slowly grows.

I hate to put him through another surgery down the road. Should I have them remove it while he's under, or would two incisions be more trouble and discomfort for him? I'll ask the vet's opinion as well.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:25 pm

If the vet has time to remove it, I would do so. The cyst my Snowflake had removed, she hardly even noticed it was gone. I do not thing it will affect the recovery.

TWP_2

Post   » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:42 pm

I'd say do it. One time under anaesthesia is better than two, and I really doubt that the second incision will be all that much more to worry about.

The only problem might be if the vet doesn't feel comfortable repositioning him for a second surgery after doing the first.

Jim

Serena
It started with Louie...

Post   » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:22 pm

I vote for remove the cyst, also. Good luck tomorrow. I hate bladder stones, the surgery and the recovery time.

Just keep him in a small cage for recovery. Don't handle him much. Give pain meds as needed even if it looks like he doesn't need any. And keep him warm, too. Cuddle cups work nice but so do those muscle pads that warm up that people place on their backs and such. What are those called again?

Good luck and my offer to watch him still stand if needed. I could meet you have way or something. We'll be thinking of your little guy tomorrow.

Edit to say: Tell your vet to keep the stone and mail it in for that bladder stone study. See becky's sticky on top of the med forum.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:51 am

Cyst removals aren't too bad. My pigs who have had abscess or cycst removals on their bodies recovered without a hiccup. Blackberry is recovering from a long bladder surgery - a week later and she's still not back to her normal self, but every day sees improvement. Those abdominal surgeries really take it out of them.

I used a mineral water bottle filled with warm water after Blackberry got home (didn't have anything else), next to her cuddle cup. Worked well.

Becky

Post   » Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:35 am

Oh, Serena, good point!

Yes, yes, yes! Please have the stone sent in. They need every single one of them they can get and they're running short of time.

Good thoughts headed Peppi's and your way.

capybara
Supporter in '13

Post   » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:14 pm

Thanks all! My Peppi-man is at the clinic right now. Dr. Voss is very nice and seemed very confident, and Peppi was in high spirits last night, so I'm hoping all will go well and he'll be back to his old, pushy self in no time.

I will also ask him to save the stone for the study. I forgot this morning--I hope he keeps it long enough for me to tell him.

capybara
Supporter in '13

Post   » Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:20 pm

I'm happy to report that Peppi is back home. The surgery went well, and they were able to remove the cyst, too. The stone looked like it was about 1/8 in. in diameter. I asked him to hold onto it to send for the study.

Peppi is a little groggy, but he just ate 4 CCs of Critical Care [edited] right from his little cage, and nibbled some hay, so I hope he continues to be cooperative so I don't have to get him out and force feed him large amounts at once.

Thanks again for all your help and well wishes! It meant a lot to me to have everyone's support.

luvmypigs2

Post   » Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:39 pm

That's great! Sending thoughts and prayers for an uneventful recovery.

TWP_2

Post   » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:40 pm

I hope you mean 4CC of Critical Care and not Metacam!

Glad to hear he made it through surgery safely. I know very well how agonizing that wait can be! All crossables are crossed in the hope that he has, as LMP2 said, an uneventful recovery.

Vaseline on the incision site does a pretty decent job keeping the itch factor down and providing some extra protection. Keep on top of the Metacam and any other painkiller drugs, and definitely stay on the full course of antibiotics.

Jim

capybara
Supporter in '13

Post   » Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:12 am

Oh crap. Yes I did mean 4 CCs of Critical Care! Sorry if I gave you or anyone else a heart attack! Too late for me to edit it.

We just gave him more Critical Care and his Bactrim, and noticed one of his first poops of the night, which is a relief. When we had Momiji spayed for cysts, it took a while for her to poop, and it was really scary.

TWP_2

Post   » Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:58 am

We might ask Lynx to go in and edit that, since it is at least remotely possible that someone might search for Metacam and think that was an OK dose.