Male with bladder stone--need a good vet

Brandilynn
Who's your Branni?

Post   » Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:40 pm

I am sorry and ditto on Peppi knowing how much you love him.

What good piggie people you are.

capybara
Supporter in '13

Post   » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:10 pm

An update. (I'm so terrible at updating these threads.)

Peppi has some great days and some so-so days. I was surprised yesterday, when he seemed happy and active, that when I picked up his cuddle cup to dump out his poos, the Carefresh underneath was stained pink from his pee. I found other evidence of bloody pee around the cage. He's already on Bactrim.

We took him in to Dr. Voss today, and he thinks we are going to see things like this more and more as the stone grows and continues to irritate his bladder. Peppi has also lost 50 grams over the last couple days, so we're going to have to kick it into gear on handfeeding the Critical Care again. He usually ate 2 big lumps on his own in the cage daily, but is starting to lose interest in it. I can't tell if he's just sick of the CC or losing his appetite, but he goes crazy for pellets, Critter Berries, veggies, and is still eating his hay what appears to be a normal amount. We ordered the apple/banana flavored CC, but unfortunately he turned his nose up at it.

Despite the weight loss, he seems happy today. I'm worried that with him starting to get even skinnier that this is the beginning of him going downhill, but I hope that's not the case. He is a tough one to figure out. He has always been such an energetic old guy; sort of a tough bruiser type, that even though I know his personality so well, it's difficult for me to tell if he's just very good at hiding his discomfort.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:36 pm

Big hugs to you and Peppi, Capybara. I'm so sorry you're both having to go through this. I hope he continues to have more better days than so-so days.

Joannt
Wheekness for Pigs

Post   » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:12 pm

We too are sorry to hear about Peppi's ordeal and hope that he continues to have more good days ahead of him.

Evelyn sends him piggie kisses.

Serena
It started with Louie...

Post   » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:56 pm

I always hold my breath when I see your thread bumped up. I am so glad to read that Peppi is still with us and doing well but sorry to hear about some of those setbacks. Each day he has with you is a blessing and I hope he continues to have many more.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:30 pm

So sorry he is not doing as well, capybara. I wish you the best.

capybara
Supporter in '13

Post   » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:06 pm

The last few days with Peppi have been really up and down. After my last post, we started handfeeding, and got his weight back up to 1000 g pretty easily just by supplementing him with 20-30 cc Critical Care each day. He seemed to be doing well, but yesterday he had a bad day. He spent most of it sitting puffed up next to the haypile. A couple times I saw him drinking, and he ate some pellets when I put them in, but he wasn't very active otherwise. He still wants all his veggies. His weight dropped back to 950 and remains there today.

I'm not sure what to do. Yesterday and today, our attempts at handfeeding haven't gone well. He gets really upset and tries to dig at the towel and keeps fussing and hiding his head. We only got maybe 6-10 cc into him yesterday, and so far only 1 today. I would normally be more aggressive, but I'm not sure it's fair to stress him out so much when he has what has become a terminal illness. What would you guys do?

I'm so worried I'll make the wrong decision. If he keeps losing weight, maybe he's saying it's time to go. But he still wants his veggies and Critter Berries. He still enjoys being pet and held. That's why I just don't know. I know I keep asking for the same advice, but we're having a hard time deciding what is best.

We're supposed to go to MI in a couple days to visit family. Originally, we planned to bring Peppi and Chester along and we had even found a couple vets nearby if anything happened while we were there. Now I'm not sure if we will postpone or cancel the trip. I'm not sure if it's fair to bring him along if he continues to feel this way.

Sorry for writing a book. As usual, thanks for all your support and any advice you can give.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:32 pm

Oh, Capybara, I'm so sorry you and Peppi are going through this.

Gilbert was the same way. He might look miserable much of the time, but he would still come out and eat and be affectionate towards us.

I don't know if your pigs have had a lot of travel experience. I imagine that, just like people, some travel better than others. I am just speculating, but I would guess that being in a strange, new place surrounded by lots of strange, new people might add to Peppi's stress.

My gut feeling is to watch pain levels and food and water intake. I have no doubt, though, that whatever decision you make, it will be the right one, because you're making it out of the profound love you have for your little pig.

Mr Capybara

Post   » Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:02 pm

Hello,
This is Capybara's husband... aptly named Mr. Capybara....

My wife's sick from the holidays so I thought I should come on here and update this thread. (plus I need to help her out with GP postings more often)

We did end up deciding to bring Peppi and his cage-mate Chester with us on our trip to Michigan. They did fine in the car and really seemed to enjoy the extra attention at my parents house. His weight was stable throughout the trip. During the last few days before we left MI he was sitting in one area for extended periods of time, but not in a relaxed way, more puffed up. But overall because he likes people so much he liked the extra attention that the few people that visited our house gave him.

Now that we're back he's still pretty off and on, but his weight has gone down from 950g to 925g. He goes from nibbling hay, drinking, and sitting around being all puffy. He's not as interested in his pellets as he used to be. He used to be a pellet freak! But he's still nuts over any veggies or fruits. It's going to be a tough decision when to make the call to have him put to sleep... Our vets in tomorrow morning, but after that they don't get back till Tuesday.

Well that's the update... hope everyone here had a good Holiday!

Becky

Post   » Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:35 pm

Have you taken a look at his teeth? They might be slightly overgrown. That happens sometimes when they eat less.

There will be good days and bad days for your guy. I wouldn't give up on him until he decides he doesn't want to eat. When his kidneys start to go, so will his appetite completely, including hand feeding. Until then, keep him hydrated and warm.

I know it's a nebulous thing to say, but you will know when it's time. Doesn't sound like he's there yet.

How much metacam/meloxicam is he getting?

Mr Capybara

Post   » Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:03 am

He's getting .15ccs of Metacam once a day.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:25 am

Oh, Capybaras, I'm so sorry. I hope that he'll get through the weekend okay.