Male with bladder stone--need a good vet

Becky

Post   » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:05 pm

His personality and will is what is making this so hard.

I most humbly suggest that he is telling you he's not ready yet. Ups and downs are normal. When the downs dominate his life, then you can ask him if it's time.

Serena
It started with Louie...

Post   » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:28 pm

If he is able to sleep so deep like that, he must be doing better. I agree with Becky, too. You will really know when it is time.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:31 pm

I'm glad the heat is helping to keep little Peppi more comfortable.

This is such a hard time for both of you.

capybara
Supporter in '13

Post   » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:33 am

Thanks for all your concerns. Don't worry, we don't plan to make any hasty decisions. Peppi was really bad last weekend, so we thought it was going to be time soon. Vinod discussed some options at length with the vet on the phone. We didn't go in for an x-ray at the time. We decided it would be too stressful and wouldn't make enough of a difference in our decision to put him through that.

Peppi has had a pretty decent week. His weight has yo-yo'ed a little. He's been enjoying the heat pads. Yesterday has me more worried again, though. He's starting to get kind of swollen looking in his bladder area, above his penis. No redness or anything that looks infected, but I am starting to think that the stone is just getting really big. Is there any chance this thing could cause a rupture? Or any kind of toxicity? We have a vet appointment on Tuesday (earliest we could get) that we plan to keep no matter what for a hopefully as stress-free as possible check.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:43 am

Is Peppi still able to urinate? Yes, the stone could get really huge, I suppose, but my first concern about being able to feel his bladder is whether or not he can still urinate.

capybara
Supporter in '13

Post   » Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:20 pm

Yes, he is able to urinate. He rarely cries when he does anymore. I don't know if it's because the Metacam is helping, or if the stone has grown big enough that it doesn't have room to bounce around and irritate the bladder.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:52 pm

How's our little Peppi doing?

Joannt
Wheekness for Pigs

Post   » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:47 am

Any chance that he has passed the stone? I know Evey passed a wonkin big one that they told me she would "never pass." It completely covered Lincoln's head when set on a US penny. I know she is a girl but there have been others on here who have had similar experiences with their boars passing sizeable stones.

I hope Peppi is doing well.

Mr Capybara

Post   » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:51 am

Don't worry Peppi's still around!

Sorry we haven't posted recently. Haven't been in the mood...

But Peppi's still hanging in there, we're still feeding him critical care during the day. He's still wants attention when we come nearby, but now he rarely leaves his bed. We have a cuddly cup set up with heat pads, which is where he spends most of his time. When he sits in the cup he's not in a relaxed position, he's puffy and hunched up.
Just today his weight was only 750g before I fed him in the evening.

We're getting worried that he's slowly wasting away, but as we've said before his personality still comes through and makes our decision even harder.

On January 16 I took him to the vet and got an x-ray. The stone was bigger but it still wasn't filling up his whole bladder. But it's definitely irritating him more. On that day our vet said he's probably got two or three more weeks where he's not totally uncomfortable. And by judging by his behavior that probably seems accurate.

I'll try and keep you all posted, Emily's not really up to posting right now. Any thoughts or advice as to what you all think? If he loses any more weight he'd have already lost half of his body weight. I'm not sure how fair it is to keep him around if he's that weak/skinny.

-Mr.Capybara
Last edited by Mr Capybara on Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:56 am

Thanks so much for updating us. Jim and I think about Peppi almost every single day. We hope you are able to enjoy more days with him.

Hugs to you both and chin rubs to Peppi.

Mr Capybara

Post   » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:08 am

I edited my last post for an incorrect date and a few other thoughts/information.

Thanks for the nice thoughts, we have been giving him alot of attention during these last few weeks.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:58 am

Mr. Capybara - I sent you an e-mail.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:06 am

Mr.Capybara, this is such a difficult time for you both. I'm sorry that it seems time is running out. I know you're doing the best you can to keep him comfortable.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:21 pm

"Any thoughts or advice as to what you all think?"

I think he will let you know. I think you and Capybara will know -- in your hearts -- if and when his will and spirit falter. Walk with him until then.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:29 pm

I'm so very sorry you're all having to go through this.

I think you'll know when his quality of life is no longer good enough.

Serena
It started with Louie...

Post   » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:17 pm

Yes, you will know. Well said guys. You will see it and you will feel it. It's hard to explain but I've been there just like so many others. I feel for you and wish you the best.

capybara
Supporter in '13

Post   » Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:46 am

Hi all,

Unfortunately, Peppi is beginning to develop bumblefoot. I think it's from the pressure on his feet from inactivity. He's in his bed most of the day. We picked up some chlorhex and Vet Wrap from the vet's, and got some triple antibiotic oinment, and began his first treatment last night. I have to thank GL for the info on here; it's been so helpful in figuring out how to do this! Only his front feet are forming scabs. The back feet are a little red near his ankles, but haven't formed any scabs or sores yet. I feel so bad to see his little feet wrapped up in these mini Vet Wrap "casts". He has been such a little sweetie, cooperating very well with all his treatments.

He's still dropping a little weight day by day. I'm not sure how hard it will be to beat the bumblefoot. He's already been on Bactrim. I think with his poor health he may not be able to beat the infection. We're going to be diligent with watching his quality of life with this new development. Thanks again for all of your kind thoughts and advice.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:03 am

Poor Peppi. He didn't need bumblefoot on top of everything else.

I wish I could offer you advice, but I don't have any experience with bumblefoot. I hope it doesn't cause him too much trouble.

Give him some love for me.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:46 am

So sorry. The redness may be from standing in urine if he's not moving around much. See what you can do to try to keep the environment drier (I know this is tough -- you're probably spot cleaning already -- maybe be more diligent). Do provide opportunity for the foot to be in the open air too.

It sounds like several things are going on. If his feet are swelling, it may have to do with fluid retention.

Becky

Post   » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:41 pm

The other possibility is his kidneys are having a difficult time. Ditto on the extra hugs.

203 posts