Male with bladder stone--need a good vet

capybara
Supporter in '13

Post   » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:27 am

Geez, I hadn't realized it's been so long since an update.

Peppi is a strange little guy. Almost all of last week he had much more energy than usual, even with his bumblefoot. He actually gained weight (about 50 grams) on his own, and was more interested in his Critical Care. He actually took a bunch in his cage most days, and we didn't need to force feed him as often.

That's the good news, but the bad news is that the bumblefoot isn't getting any better. Some of the sores are getting worse. The vet switched Peppi from Bactrim to Baytril, and we're continuing his triple AB treatment and wrapping his feet. We also switched to all fleece in the cage and have been careful to clean up poos. The vet thinks it's just inactivity and poor circulation causing the bumblefoot. If he can't get better, we'll just continue what we're doing until it gets to be too much for him. I just can't believe this little guy's spirit. He's been climbing the cage bars even with his feet wrapped!

Serena
It started with Louie...

Post   » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:10 pm

I was too scared to click on this thread but so glad I did and glad to see that Peppi is still with you. Give him a big smoochie for me please.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:45 pm

Poor little guy! Extra cuddles and kisses from us, too!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:42 pm

I think I've posted that I managed Nina's bumblefoot for over a year. It never completely went away in that time. Sometimes it was worse, sometimes better -- just never gone or cured in any way, shape or form.

capybara
Supporter in '13

Post   » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:39 am

Peppi had another good week, but starting yesterday, he's feeling yucky again. He's back to crying when he pees and poops. I think the stone must be bigger, or in an uncomfortable position now. The scary part is, I can feel it easily now. Sadly, his feet, while they don't look absolutely horrible, seem to be causing him some pain now, too. But he still has his appetitie. He's stayed at 800 grams for the past couple weeks. Previously he had been close to 700. Big Man is such a little trooper.

Becky

Post   » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:36 am

If his feet hurt, he's probably not moving around as much. This allows the stone to settle and sort of embed into the lining of the bladder. That would make him pretty uncomfortable.

Not going back to look, so if this has been covered, sorry. One thing you can do is use a vibrator on his lower abdomen to keep the stone and sludge moving.

Poor Peppi and poor caybara.

Mr Capybara

Post   » Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:20 pm

Hey all,
Not the greatest update unfortunately. Peppi's bumblefoot gets better and then worse... his front feet started to heal and scab over but his back feet were still pretty gross. But just yesterday we noticed one of his front feet has a really gross "hole" in it so we wrapped that one up as well as his back feet.

This weekend he also had really stinky pink pee. The stone must be irritating him a lot lately. Also the worst thing is his weight. This morning he had dropped down to 675g. We feel like it might be getting close to when we should put him to sleep. We're of course feeding him critical care but after like 3 syringes he gets sick of it, so we have to force the rest down. He barely nibbles his hay, eats some pellets, and then slowly eats his veggies.

The biggest problem is that he still has his goofy personality. This morning I came down to make my breakfast and he saw me and wobbled out of his cuddly cup and trotted all the way over to the other side of the cage and started chewing the bars. We both feel that he's not going to be one of those pigs that totally becomes listless and hunched in a corner. Because of how low his weight is and the pee irritation plus the bumblefoot, we feel his quality of life might be really bad.

Any more advice? Even if you don't have any I figured you'd all be interested to see how he's doing.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:40 pm

I wanted to let you know that we are all thinking of you, and how lucky Peppi is to have such loving and caring piggy parents.

This must be so difficult for you, but thank you for the update.

Peppi is such a special guy!

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:10 pm

Poor little Peppi, and poor Capybaras! I'm not a big expert on stinky pee, but I would think it means that either he's having kidney issues or he's dehydrated, either because it hurts his little feet too much to go to the bottle regularly or because of the bladder discomfort.

TWP_2

Post   » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:29 pm

Peppi is so loved and so lucky.

We all know you're going to do what's best, when the time comes. I'm just so sorry that it comes down to that.

I wish there was some way I could meet Peppi. I already love the little guy.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:33 pm

" ... and he saw me and wobbled out of his cuddly cup and trotted all the way over to the other side of the cage and started chewing the bars."

This is my opinion, and my husband's and my policy only ... but in our way of looking at things, as long as he's still doing stuff like this, as far as he's concerned, his quality of life is just fine, to him, and he's not ready to give up and let go of any of it just yet.

If Peppi were our pig, we would 1) watch carefully for a total obstruction or blockage. As long as he is urinating, even if the pee is somewhat odd, he's not blocked; and 2) be prepared to be with him, talk to him, hold him and hopefully he will pass at home when that time comes. (I'm confident you're already doing number 2.)

Best thoughts, good wishes and love to Peppi and to you.

capybara
Supporter in '13

Post   » Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:44 pm

Our little buddy Peppi passed away in his sleep overnight.

Yesterday morning, he was near the bars, waiting for his veggies. He wasn't as energetic as he has been on some days this week, but when we walked by, he stood up on the coroplast to beg. Later in the day, he seemed a little tired, but he still came over to chew the bars and see what the commotion was when my parents stopped by for a short visit and dinner on their way up to St. Paul. When we got back from dinner, Peppi ate his evening treat, but when it was time to give him a nighttime Critical Care feeding and wrap his feet, Vinod noticed he was lying on his side in one of the houses. He picked him up and put him on his feet, but poor Peppi just didn't have the strength in his legs to stand.

We got him out and took off his bandages. He didn't even fuss and he just seemed so tired. We gave him some Metacam since he loves it so much, and I held him. I could tell he was going soon. His favorite large cozy needed washing, so I held him for two hours while it washed and dried. I didn't want to leave him, but we thought he might be more comfortable in his favorite place, and it was warm right out of the dryer. He wobbled in and laid down, and we decided to go to bed. When we woke up this morning, Vinod went to check on him, and he was gone. I think he went soon after we put him in his cozy. Chester was in the cozy by his side. I think he was with him through the night. He was such a good little buddy to Peppi.

I hope with all my heart that he just drifted peacefully off to sleep. He seemed like he wasn't in any pain when I was holding him, he just was very sleepy. We were both so happy that he had some freedom from his foot wrappings when he passed. I'm glad he was able to pass with Chester, in his favorite cozy at home.

Peppi was a very special pig. He was our first adopted pig. He made the lives of our other pigs better because it was through the rescue we got him from (Have-a-Heart) that we learned about C&C cages, and Guinea Lynx, both of which have improved the lives of all of our pigs immensely. We adopted Peppi in 2004. We had wanted to volunteer with pigs, by helping at a rescue, or fostering, but when I saw his picture on Petfinder, and that he was an older pig that needed a home, I instantly fell in love.

Peppi made such an impression on us in the short two and a half years he was with us, that he had almost a dozen nicknames. Among others, he was frequently known as Pepster, Biggie, Biggie Small, Big Head, Big Man, Ziggy, Ziggy-Piggy, Zigster, and Zeppi. Peppi was the biggest and loudest pig we had with a wheek that sounded more like a howler monkey. He was a rambunctious tough guy, with a considerable amount of energy for a pig that was so old. He was definitely the boss in the cage, sneaking up to steal veggies from Chester anytime Chester didn't win the veggie-eating race. Peppi would grab pellet dishes with his mouth and pull them out from under Chester's nose when he was eating. He also liked to clank them together, and grab them with his teeth and shove them all the way across the cage like a shopping cart. Somehow Chester put up with it all, and he always seemed happy to be with Peppi. I think Chester looked up to him. Peppi was an incredibly friendly pig, and he was very calm and patient with people, even children, and he captured anyone's heart that met him.

I already miss seeing his teddy bear ears flopping as he trots over for attention or a treat. I will miss hearing his howler monkey wheek greeting me when I come downstairs in the morning.

I want to thank everyone here for all of your kindness and support. It meant the world to us. I have never walked with an animal during a long term illness before, and your words of encouragement and advice were so helpful and I know that they helped us to make Peppi's life better. Thank you so much for reading this very long post and letting me share his story with you.

We miss you so much Big Man.

WICharlie

Post   » Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:54 pm

Oh, I am in tears reading your post. I'm am so sorry. What a great little pig. The love you have for him and the love he had for you can never be taken away.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:56 pm

I'm so very sorry.

He had a wonderful home with you.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:03 pm

Godspeed and safe passage, Peppi. All pigs are special. Some are special-special.

The long walk, and the fresh-from-the-dryer cozy, are the greatest gifts you could have given him. Peace now, to him, to both of you, and to Chester.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:17 pm

I'm so sorry that sweet Peppi is gone. He was a cute little guy with a big personality and a loving heart.

Your tribute to Peppi is beautiful. He was very lucky to have a caring home with the both of you and his buddy, Chester.

Serena
It started with Louie...

Post   » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:10 pm

I am in tears, too. I am very sorry his is gone but at least he decided to end this long, hard battle on his own terms. Thank goodness you didn't have the make "that awful decision" for him. It sounds like his little body was shutting down last night and he finally drifted away with no pain or fright.

Your compassion for Peppi is something I hope every guinea pig could be so lucky to have. Please know in your hearts that you gave him a great life and we all share in your grief. Take care.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:52 pm

I am so sorry he's gone, capybara. I know you will miss him.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:59 pm

Emily and Vinod - I am just in tears to know that Peppi is gone. I hope you know, in your hearts, that you did absolutely everything you could possibly do for him. While he was unlucky to have problems with stones, he was so lucky to have the two of you and Chester to love and support him during this long illness.

My heart goes out to you guys. My pigs send kisses, especially Grandpa Henry, who knows just what Chester is going through right now.

TWP_2

Post   » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:48 am

I'm so sorry for you and your family to have lost little Peppi.

My heart aches with the wish that it weren't the way it is. I'm not particularly religious, but God bless you, your family, Chester, and Peppi. I genuinely hope that somehow Gilbert and Sully can now play with Peppi and all wait for us to join them one day.

Tears are shed around the world for Peppi, but perhaps our prayers have been answered. He went at home, in his place, with his family taking care of him, with his friend by his side.

So many of us never met you, Peppi, but we love you.

203 posts