Elsie's ugly teeth

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:10 pm

I'm sorry to hear Bo's continuing to have a problem. It's hard to explain what the gunk on the side of the tooth looks like but "crap and scale" sounds good.

I can tell you this...once, when I tried to pick it off with my nail, it bled. Tuesday, when the vet tried to scrape it off, it bled a little. I don't know if that means anything.

I go by how Elsie acts. It doesn't seem to bother her but when one of the front, bottom teeth gets long (it grows longer than the others and then curves to one side) then I know it's time to bring her in for a trim.

She eats just fine even though she has this problem and she turned 5 1/2 yrs old on Oct. 1st.

I hope Bo's problem clears up.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Sun Dec 25, 2005 11:30 am

"It's hard to explain what the gunk on the side of the tooth looks like but "crap and scale" sounds good. "

Well, last night this "gunk on the side of the tooth" broke off. It turned out to be one of the extra teeth she has on the bottom. It was cracked and would bleed when you tried to clean it. When I checked on her last night it just cracked and fell off.

So, now one of her top teeth has no bottom tooth to hit. Will the top tooth now grow down into the space? I am guessing that since the root is still there the broken tooth will eventually grow back?

Just what I need right now, huh?

Amy0204
We miss our sweet Oreo

Post   » Sun Dec 25, 2005 11:45 am

You'll know quickly enough...when Panda's broken a tooth (twice now), it's grown back within the week, amazingly fast.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Dec 25, 2005 12:26 pm

If the root is not injured, it should indeed grow back. There are some pics in the teeth section showing how quickly one of Pinta's pigs grew his/her teeth back.

You might need some light filing of the upper tooth if the lower tooth is a little slow to come in or grow.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Sun Dec 25, 2005 1:41 pm

Thanks Lynx. I feel better after reading and having seen those pics. Elsie is still eating her food just fine and chewing on hay non-stop.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:41 pm

Wow! It's been just about two years since I began this thread. Elsie continues to need teeth trimming about every 6 weeks. She still has too many teeth on the bottom and one of them will sprout over the others and then grow sideways. At the last clipping the vet noticed a loose tooth. He got a tool to grab onto it and it came right out!

So, the bottom teeth are better than they have been until some new extra teeth grow back (the roots are still there).

But her top teeth are now beginning to overlap with one tooth growing longer than the other. She grinds her top teeth against the bottom teeth and it makes me nuts to hear it.

She goes on Friday to have the front teeth trimmed. I hope it helps. I have to hand feed her small pieces of fruit because she can't get them into her mouth on her own.

Just thought I'd update.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:21 pm

Have you considered having the extra tooth removed entirely?

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:26 pm

I'm scared to do that..she just turned 7. Also, there's two extra teeth as far as we can tell.

Okay, this is scary:

I have an extra tooth on the bottom.
I grind my teeth.
My front top tooth is beginning to overlap the one next to it.

UGH!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:25 pm

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:58 pm

It must be the water, GP Lover!

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:58 pm

That is hysterical but I can assure you that Elsie and I don't look alike...uh..except for our teeth, hey, we do!!!

Yes, could be the water except Annabelle has perfect teeth! I want!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:33 pm

Congratulations on her 7th birthday, by the way. Happy Birthday, Elsie!