Elsie's ugly teeth

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:29 pm

Yuck. I come home and she had diarrhea again during the day but she ate pretty good when I put food down.

The vet clipped her top teeth and removed a loose pc of tooth matter on the bottom. She is able to eat a little better now.

The bloodwork he mentioned is to be done in a few weeks to make sure her kidneys are ok. I thought he was going to do it now to see why she has diarrhea. We are not sure why she has diarrhea. All I gave her this morning was 2cc of Lasix a some critical care.

I should also mention that her diagnosis was heart failure. According to the ultrasound tech she has an enlarged left side of the heart and her aorta is twice the normal size. She had fluid around the heart and he said something about the tissue around it too but I don't remember. It all sounded so dire but yet she's still with me.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:38 pm

Sounds as if there may also be an infection somewhere. I'd try flagyll at this point - diarreah is so dangerous.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:04 am

It just dawned on me this morning that maybe it's not diarrhea I find when I come home! Maybe because she doesn't move much that she poops and then pees all over it? I find these huge brown piles of mush. Diarrhea would be greenish wouldn't it?

This morning she seems to be doing great again. She ate the most I've seen her eat in a while. I think the tooth trim really helped her.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:37 pm

Well, Elsie is hanging in there. She stopped the diarrhea a few days ago. She has such tiny poops now! She eats well in the mornings but doesn't seem to have much appetite after that.

I set she and Annabelle up on fleece flooring with grid cubes for walls on my bedroom floor. She can't walk on carefresh anymore because her toes are all curled which I think is from old age.

She seems to be okay for now but I know with heart failure things can turn quickly. She breathes just fine and continues to take Lasix and Enalapril. She is down below 900 grams in weight but is holding steady for now.

Every day I get home and check to see if she's still with me and I'm grateful for every day she still is.

cavyslave8
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:43 pm

I hope she hangs in there and you have some good time left with her.

capybara
Supporter in '13

Post   » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:04 pm

Hang in there Elsie! I am thinking of you both.

somechick

Post   » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:54 pm

Elsie is lucky to have you and good doctors. Sounds like she's hanging in there.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:36 pm

Walk with her, and she will walk with you. Best to both of you.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:30 am

Elsie continues to do well. She has soft poos once in a while but I'm not feeding her strawberries anymore to see if that's the cause.

She eats very well now and breathes normal. She is back to eating her favorite food - watermelon.

I wonder if she can be taken off the lasix at some point in time?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:45 am

I'm glad to hear she's doing so well.

Not many of my pigs have needed lasix long term. You'll need to check with an xray that the fluid is gone and then wean very slowly.

maremma

Post   » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:05 pm

Aww I am glad to hear she is doing better.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:37 pm

I need HELP and I need it now. I came from work early today to check on Elsie because this morning she was breathing heavy.

I put her on her baby blanket on my bed and I just went to check on her and found tiny little red bugs all over the blanket!!! I moved her to another white blanket and sure enough within minutes there were a ton of these tiny red bugs! What are they???!!!! What can I do. The vet hasn't called me back yet.