Elsie's ugly teeth

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Tue May 31, 2005 3:06 pm

Elsie's front teeth seemed really messed up and I'd like to know what I can expect at the vet visit when we go Thursday (if anybody knows).

Her front, top teeth are very, very short. Her two bottom teeth are very sharp and pointy and have brown gunk between them. Also, it looks like they've split and she has 3 teeth instead of two on the bottom. I am unable to get a good look at what is going on behind these bottom front teeth but something doesn't seem right there either!

Fortunately, she continues to eat well so whatever is going on is not affecting her ability to eat.

If her teeth need to be clipped will she have to go under anesthesia for it? She turned 5 in April and I really would like to avoid that. Does it hurt when they get their teeth trimmed down?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue May 31, 2005 3:29 pm

Did the top teeth break recently? I can only guess that they are in the process of growing back. Perhaps all her teeth were injured somehow, accounting for the split lower tooth? I can't say trimming them will help greatly. If the bottom teeth are contacting the upper ones and not hitting the roof of the mouth, I would probably leave them alone.

Write Pinta if you want a good opinion.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Tue May 31, 2005 3:59 pm

I am not aware of her teeth breaking but the top teeth are the same length and very short...about 1/4 " long.

I've been checking her for over a month now and nothing has changed so I'm not sure if the top teeth are growing. At one point they were longer but one tooth was broken and was very short. Perhaps the top teeth are being broken by the sharp lower ones?

Hopefully Pinta will read this by tomorrow and I'll get her opinion.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:32 pm

Okay, Elsie had to have her bottom teeth in the front trimmed down while under anesthesia.

The vet said there are "peg teeth" behind the front teeth that remain small but Elsie's were over grown and pushing her one bottom front tooth in front of the other. If you looked at the teeth from the side it appeared that she had another set growing behind...weird. The vet said she's seen this in a rabbit but never in a guinea pig and that is was pretty bad. Although Elsie could still eat she felt it was going to eventually cause a problem.

When she gave Elsie back to me she was just coming out of the anesthesia and she said that she'd be sore and probably wouldn't eat and be normal until tomorrow. Ha! Elsie came out of it and began eating the hay in the carrier before I left the office. When we got home she ate her dinner as if nothing happened! What a trooper.

Anybody hear of these "peg teeth"? I wasn't aware they existed. They are still there but her teeth are all trimmed down now.

lisam

Post   » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:25 pm

Curious. Did you get a picture?

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:29 pm

I tried but I need someone here to take it while I hold her mouth open. I forgot to bring the camera to the vets office. I will try over the weekend.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:19 pm

Very curious indeed. Never heard of them. Did you get xrays taken? It would be cool to have a pic and xray of what you are describing on the board (beg, beg). I wonder if Pinta's veterinary dentist has ever run across them and how he treats them.

When you said it looked like she had three teeth instead of two on the bottom, is it actually four? I do recall a very strange case (maybe you do too) of a guinea pig that had two sets of teeth in its mouth. I don't know if it lived very long -- think there may have been an operation performed but not sure.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:25 pm

No, x-rays were not taken. I did some research and found that rabbits have "peg teeth"..an xtra set behind their front top incisors but not on the bottom.

Yes, on closer look it looked like she had four teeth. The best way I can describe it is looking at her bottom teeth from the side, you can clearly see another set growing behind the front set. I knew something was back there but I just couldn't get it "out" and I suspected it was tooth matter, which it is.

I have a friend coming for the weekend so I'll do my best to get a good pic of it. It may be harder to see now that the teeth are all trimmed down. However, to me it is obvious when I look at her that it's not normal...definitely weird!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:36 pm

Well, if you ever end up with a tooth xray (because it is necessary for some reason), think of me. We need a dental anomalies page.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:37 pm

My son is supposed to have an extra top front tooth. Does that count?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:40 pm

You're son's a guinea pig? Send the anomalies on!

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:46 pm

Nope, he's a monkey. Wrong board!