Elsie's ugly teeth

capybara
Supporter in '13

Post   » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:10 pm

Hi GP Lover, have you started up oxygen treatments yet? I really hope they help her.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:19 pm

Yes, I started it last night but so hard to tell if it did anything. I got a portable tank and at 1/2 liter/minute it's supposed to last 9hrs I think. I turned it up to 1 liter and used the mask that Joe had made for George on her.

I didn't think she'd make it thru the night but she improved a bit and I even took her in for her tooth trim. She is a little weaker than she was but she is eating more and back to eating her watermelon which is a good sign.

Unfortunately, although her breathing has improved it's not as good as it was before this episode O:(.

I know our time together is limited. I want her to eat what she wants and run around as much as she wants and can until she can't anymore.

The chiggers on her seem to be gone. Dr. S said the Ivermectin was a good choice.

capybara
Supporter in '13

Post   » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:36 pm

Oh, I'm sorry to hear she's doing poorly. You could try increasing how many liters per minute you're giving her. With Mims we usually did 2.5 to 3 liters per minute. It was hard to tell if increasing the amount made a big difference, but I do know the tank helped in general because he would lie down and relax in it. Without it, he would sit up and breathe hard.

I wish you all the luck in the world and hope you still have some good time left together.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:15 am

The chiggers are still on her. Now I have to figure out where to put her and Annabelle while I strip down the cage to clean and disinfect it.

I am wondering if she is the one who picked them up while staying at the vets office for 2 nights. I just dont' find them on or in my bed or anything in my bedroom. I find them on her and whatever she sits on.

Rascal

Post   » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:54 pm

Poor Elsie, does Annabelle have them too? Do you keep their cage on the floor?

I had an old hamster once covered in little red biting bugs - looked like minature fleas. Then I noticed a trail of them on the carpet marching form the outside wall to his cage - what a nightmare. I've moved out of that place.

I hope you can find the source.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:32 pm

Elsie has them and doesn't scratch. Annabelle scratches all the time but yet I haven't found them on her.

Mystery time. They are both in the cage together. I am off to the pet shop to get some shampoo and when I come home I will bathe them and strip and clean their cage.

They have been living most of the time in my bedroom since Elsie's bout at the hospital. That's why I'm now thinking she came home with them? They are now in the living room in their cage. All the linens and towels and blankets they were on in my room were washed last night so they are not allowed back in here until I know it;s safe.

somechick

Post   » Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:16 pm

Wow, what an ordeal. Will you need to do something to your condo to get rid of them all? Good wishes to you.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:42 pm

"Will you need to do something to your condo to get rid of them all? "

Well, that's the thing....they are found outside so all the chemicals to treat them are not be used indoors. I have no idea what to do.

I bathed the girls real good with bunny shampoo. I put a little talcum powder on them and Revolution. I stripped and cleaned the carrier and their cage. I still see them crawling on Elsie and now I see them on Annabelle. I am at a loss as to what to do. I feel so bad because I want to hold Elsie and I can't.

MotaroRIP

Post   » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:26 pm

Elsie's a little fighter.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:16 pm

If they bite the pigs and your guinea pigs have been treated with Revolution, they should then die. They have to ingest the poison before you start seeing them disappear.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:00 am

Oh I hope it happens soon. This is an awful situation at the moment.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:51 am

I just spoke to an exterminator. I am going to get glue boards and put them around to see if they are a problem inside my home. If so, they can treat but we all have to leave the apt.

As far as treating Elsie and Annabelle, he said the chemical that works on chiggers is Pyrethrin. Is this safe for them? Right now they have Ivermectin and Revolution on them.