Elsie's ugly teeth

capybara
Supporter in '13

Post   » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:50 pm

I'm sorry you're having so many problems with those gross things! I don't have any advice but just wanted to wish you luck in getting rid of them.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:54 pm

Thanks Cabybara!!!

Mum, I am to mix the LymDyp and then put it on the girls but then don't blow dry them? Just towel dry them?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:01 pm

Actually, while you're only supposed to towel dry I do blow dry - they still stink for weeks afterwards :-p

Do it outside if you can.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:14 pm

Mum, I do agree with you that they should not both be used topically. I think this is what Josephine has advised.
I was just saying the ill effects would likely have already occured.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:20 pm

Well, I am home now (I was posting from work). I didn't find the dip in the pet store. I did purchase a product called "Nature's Gaurdian". It is a mixture of oils than can be sprayed on the pet lightly and on the bedding.

When I came home and inspected the girls it appears that they have no chiggers on them! I even took Elsie out and placed her on a baby blanket and it remained clean!!! I sprayed the oils on her and combed her hair with the flea comb and it was clean. YAY!

Elsie continues to have a good appetite for now. I moved the grid cage with the fleece bottom in the living room and put them in there for some exercise.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:10 pm

I quit. I took Elsie out to give her oxygen because she was breathing hard and chiggers began appearing and falling off her on to the blanket.

I am so very upset. I will have to go online now and see if I can get some lymdyp sent to me. I don't know what else to try at this point.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:42 pm

The LymDyp will arrive on Thursday. I think I can calm down now and wait until then. Thanks for putting up with my hysterics. I hate little red bugs.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:24 pm

Sorry you are having these problems. I hate annoying bugs too.

When yiou say they were falling off her, do you mean dying?

That would be the best of all possible worlds.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:28 pm

No, I mean falling off her on to the blanket she was sitting on. I can't even hold her to give her oxygen. That's what I was doing when I found them on her again. I have to quickly bring the blanket to the sink and get them off and down the drain.

Tomorrow I will strip the cage again and clean with vinegar. I was just reading about using vinegar on them on Wikepedia.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:09 pm

I have nothing useful to add or suggest, just want to send best wishes and moral support to you and your herd.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:56 pm

We're thinking of you and the girls.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:22 pm

Thanks so much guys. I really need it now. I tried to speak with my vet today to request a lyme/sulfur dip but the message didn't get relayed properly. So, when I called back I was told that I could use Frontline.

When I got there to pick up some Enalapril I spoke to another vet. She spent some time on the VIN and printed out a conversation for me where a vet asked for help with "red mites" that infected all the small animals at a Petco. He was advised he could use a solution of 1ml Ivermectin to 100ml water and spray the cages after cleaning them. So, I opted for that for now. Another suggestion was Carbaryl powder and also Pyrethrin spray.

She said to reapply Revolution after 7 days so I will try that too.

I threw most of their blankets and towels out. I just can't believe this is happening right now.

On Thursday the LymDyp I ordered will arrive. I think I still should use it.

MUM, can you please email me or post how you give your guys the treatment? Is it possible for me to do it in my bathroom? The weather is in the 90's here and muggy so I'm not sure I should bring the girls outside on my deck to do it.