Elsie's ugly teeth

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:27 am

I wasn't able to get a good pic.

Elsie's front right tooth appears to be growing crooked. It's beginning to lean to the left. That you can see in the pic.

Will she need to keep having her teeth trimmed? If the vet has a buccal pad separator can she trim them without sedating Elsie?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:47 pm

Hey, maybe look into a set of buccal pad separators and files for yourself. A link to the order page is here:
www.guinealynx.info/teeth.html

Filing them down is safer than clipping and perhaps with some help you could even manage yourself. Because this seems to be an incisor problem, I'll bet you could manage. Eh?

pinta

Post   » Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:31 pm

I would really recommend dental xrays. Teeth don't just suddenly start growing crooked. There is usually a reason.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:01 pm

Lynx, I'd be afraid of cracking them!! O:(

I'm going to wait it out this time and see if she develops a problem eating. Does that sound reasonable? However, if she has to go back again I am wondering if the procedure can be done without anesthesia with use of the buccal pad separator. Guess it can if you're telling me I can do it myself!

Pinta, according to the vet, the tooth is growing crooked because the xtra teeth behind are pushing on it. Those xtra teeth are the same length as her front teeth. What the vet did was just trim them all down.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:59 pm

No, no, filing is gentle! Clipping is not and could crack them.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:25 pm

Here is a pretty good pic I was able to get of Elsie's teeth today. Pinta, can you see the xtra teeth now? So far she is eating well so I'm not inclined to do anything but I am worried about the future. Doesn't this look strange?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:35 pm

There sure is something going on. You say a second set of teeth (two extra teeth) behind the front two, right? By the way, do you think this is a somewhat recent development or do you think they've been this way for a long time but it's gone unnoticed?

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:46 am

I think it went unnoticed for a long time. Yes, there's a second set of teeth behind the front two. I know it's hard to see because the brown gunk but they are there. The brown gunk is sitting on top of the 4 teeth. I keep trying to clean it off.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:29 am

It appears the back teeth are spread apart and kind of offset. Something like this?

--_ _--

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:49 pm

Here's a better photo taken today:Image

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:53 pm

Actually, the front teeth are more spread apart. That's why there's food collected there (the brown gunk). One tooth in the front is growing a bit crooked too. I'm sorry it's not clear in the pics.

Bottom line is that she has too many bottom teeth. I think at this point leaving well enough alone is the right thing to do. If she has problems eating then I'll have to bring her back to the vet. I'll ask for advice again if it comes to that point because I'm not sure putting her under and trimming all these teeth is the best that can be done for her.

But then again..how else does one deal with this problem??

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:58 pm

Great pic! I added it to this thread (I think you said that was okay?). I tend to agree with you -- so long as it is not interfering with eating and there is no infection, it should be fine. The teeth continually grow so dental carries should not be an issue.