Elsie's ugly teeth

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:02 pm

I wouldn't skip the enalapril. But if she's getting lasix and appears dehydrated you have to really push the fluids. Any chance you can give her a subcue?

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:09 pm

Mum, sorry to pop in and ask a question here.
How long can frozen pedialyte ice-cubes be kept in the freezer?

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:33 pm

So, what could be causing her to not eat or drink?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:14 pm

Didn't she have baytril yesterday? It can take 48 hours (in my experience) for any ill effects to wear off.

Handfeed etc. for today.

At least that's what I do. I don't have experience with enalapril I'm afraid.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:24 pm

Yes, she supposedly had a baytril shot yesterday morning. Thanks for reminding me Mum. The problem is she did eat at least hay and some pellets when she got home. Now she eats nothing unless forced O:(.

I just spoke to the vet. He feels since her breathing isn't all that bad that she's probably not eating from the condition.

He said to bring her in for a re-check (x-ray) if she's not eating on her own by Monday.

pinta

Post   » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:42 pm

Dehydration causes inappetance.

Small hard poops equal dehydration.

I'd still push for lotensin/Fortekor but don't skip the enalapril. Ask for Vetmedin as well.

My heart pigs are on Fortekor and vetmedin and the current batch don't require Lasix.

somechick

Post   » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:48 pm

I never have any good medical advice, but I just wanted you to know that my and Henry's thoughts are with you.

capybara
Supporter in '13

Post   » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:02 am

I'm so sorry about poor Elsie. I really hope the heart meds make a difference. I sent you an e-mail about the oxygen setup.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:40 am

Her breathing seems okay..really not that bad. She still won't take food or water on her own. I spoke to the vet last night and since she's breathing okay we're not concerned about oxygen at this time.

He said she may not be eating because of the condition and if she still won't eat on her own on Monday to bring her back. He would x-ray her to check the fluid around her heart again to see the status. He would then adjust or change her meds.

To me she seems depressed. She will swallow the food and water when I force it on her but very little at a time. She did take two 1cc syringes of pedialyte which I also now use to mix up the CC.

She also seems stronger today and will move when placed on fleece or a towel. In the cage she just sits there and does not move.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:00 am

I'm so sorry. I know how dear she is to you and how worried you must be.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:21 pm

Well, I came home after being out a few hrs and found Elsie eating lettuce and fruit!! OH HAPPY DAY!

I have a video posted on google video but I don't know how to get a link posted here. O:(

capybara
Supporter in '13

Post   » Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:23 pm

Yay! There is always such a huge feeling of relief when you see a sick pig out and about and eating on their own.