Elsie's ugly teeth

capybara
Supporter in '13

Post   » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:50 pm

I'm sorry you're having so many problems with those gross things! I don't have any advice but just wanted to wish you luck in getting rid of them.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:54 pm

Thanks Cabybara!!!

Mum, I am to mix the LymDyp and then put it on the girls but then don't blow dry them? Just towel dry them?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:01 pm

Actually, while you're only supposed to towel dry I do blow dry - they still stink for weeks afterwards :-p

Do it outside if you can.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:14 pm

Mum, I do agree with you that they should not both be used topically. I think this is what Josephine has advised.
I was just saying the ill effects would likely have already occured.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:20 pm

Well, I am home now (I was posting from work). I didn't find the dip in the pet store. I did purchase a product called "Nature's Gaurdian". It is a mixture of oils than can be sprayed on the pet lightly and on the bedding.

When I came home and inspected the girls it appears that they have no chiggers on them! I even took Elsie out and placed her on a baby blanket and it remained clean!!! I sprayed the oils on her and combed her hair with the flea comb and it was clean. YAY!

Elsie continues to have a good appetite for now. I moved the grid cage with the fleece bottom in the living room and put them in there for some exercise.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:10 pm

I quit. I took Elsie out to give her oxygen because she was breathing hard and chiggers began appearing and falling off her on to the blanket.

I am so very upset. I will have to go online now and see if I can get some lymdyp sent to me. I don't know what else to try at this point.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:42 pm

The LymDyp will arrive on Thursday. I think I can calm down now and wait until then. Thanks for putting up with my hysterics. I hate little red bugs.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:24 pm

Sorry you are having these problems. I hate annoying bugs too.

When yiou say they were falling off her, do you mean dying?

That would be the best of all possible worlds.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:28 pm

No, I mean falling off her on to the blanket she was sitting on. I can't even hold her to give her oxygen. That's what I was doing when I found them on her again. I have to quickly bring the blanket to the sink and get them off and down the drain.

Tomorrow I will strip the cage again and clean with vinegar. I was just reading about using vinegar on them on Wikepedia.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:09 pm

I have nothing useful to add or suggest, just want to send best wishes and moral support to you and your herd.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:56 pm

We're thinking of you and the girls.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:22 pm

Thanks so much guys. I really need it now. I tried to speak with my vet today to request a lyme/sulfur dip but the message didn't get relayed properly. So, when I called back I was told that I could use Frontline.

When I got there to pick up some Enalapril I spoke to another vet. She spent some time on the VIN and printed out a conversation for me where a vet asked for help with "red mites" that infected all the small animals at a Petco. He was advised he could use a solution of 1ml Ivermectin to 100ml water and spray the cages after cleaning them. So, I opted for that for now. Another suggestion was Carbaryl powder and also Pyrethrin spray.

She said to reapply Revolution after 7 days so I will try that too.

I threw most of their blankets and towels out. I just can't believe this is happening right now.

On Thursday the LymDyp I ordered will arrive. I think I still should use it.

MUM, can you please email me or post how you give your guys the treatment? Is it possible for me to do it in my bathroom? The weather is in the 90's here and muggy so I'm not sure I should bring the girls outside on my deck to do it.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:20 pm

I'd stay far, far away from Frontline, carbaryl and pyrethrin. As I understand it the last two in particular are basically just strong poisons, although IIRC JudiL successfully used carbaryl on a severe (mite?) case. I hope she will see this and comment, but again IIRC that was done after absolutely nothing else worked.

Is she itching like crazy? Does she have hairloss or scabbing, scratching going to open wounds? Of course all this is not helping her respiration any (or your nerves), but if the chiggers are not driving her nuts, I think you'll be okay until Thursday. They may be grossing you out worse (granted, for which I don't blame you) than they are truly troubling her.

Unless they are secreting something that is contributing to her breathing problems. Ask your vet about it?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:47 am

You can do Lymdyp inside, but honestly, your house will absolutely stink for days afterwards.

Best bet is to get up really early and do it outside before it gets really hot.

I just sponge it over the dry pig, until the pig is soaked through. Then towel dry (although as I said, I blow dried). Mix up according to the directions on the bottle. I use Puralube in the eyes to ensure nothing gets in them - just be careful to avoid getting it in the eyes.

The pig will stink so much nothing could possibly survive afterwards :-p

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:40 am

"Is she itching like crazy? Does she have hairloss or scabbing, scratching going to open wounds? Of course all this is not helping her respiration any (or your nerves), .."

Elsie is barely itching but she is breathing heavy.

Annabelle is itching like crazy despite Ivermectin and Revolution applied topically. I found a raw, red, bald spot on her side where she's been scratching the most.

My nerves are shot.

The vet did find instances of the products mentioned being used on guinea pigs but did say if there is a problem using it on a particular animal you don't know until you use it. I wish to pass on the risk of using them and try the LympDyp.

Thanks Mum. The stuff arrives tomorrow so I'll try doing it Friday morning before I go to work.

SStroh

Post   » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:34 am

You're brave to do it before work! I've been giving Stella weekly lymdyps, and I have to do it in the evening, because I smell like sulfur after it's done, and it usually takes a few hours (at least) and about 3 showers before the smell is less noticable (it sticks around for a couple days, usually).

I was able to do it in the house without making it stink too badly, however. I just shut Stella and myself into the bathroom and turned on the overhead fan. After doing the dip I would take her to her quarantine cage, and keep the door to the bathroom closed with the fan on for the rest of the night.

It does't contain it perfectly, but it was a lot better than the first time I did it.

The other thing I was going to say is, Revolution is a once a month thing, if it were me I wouldn't reapply any closer than 2 weeks after the first time. It's actually pretty nasty stuff from what I've read (I'm using that on Stella as well), but that's just my opinion...

Good luck with everything, I hope she gets better soon!

cavyslave8
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:00 am

I just wanted to say we're thinking of you. I hope these bugs go away soon. This must be so frustrating.

Brandilynn
Who's your Branni?

Post   » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:03 am

We are thinking of yall too. What a frustrating mess!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:01 pm

"Annabelle is itching like crazy despite Ivermectin and Revolution applied topically."

If I remember from my childhood (a very long time ago), you can have an allergic response to chiggers. As much as they bit me I never did and was glad of it.

Perhaps Annabelle is having more of a reaction, or a different kind of reaction, to the bites than Elsie. Maybe try Benadryl or even veterinary Valium for her?

This is starting to sound like Jasper all over again. Ugh.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:48 pm

"This is starting to sound like Jasper all over again. Ugh."

Hey, good memory! What a nightmare that was! I hear he is still doing well (just asked the vet tech whose friend adopted him).

When you say to try Benadryl do you mean orally (still have the children's stuff here) or cream on her skin?

I'm going to brave a lymdyp soaking with them. I just haven't decided where and when to do it. I am considering bringing them to a friend's garage while I set off flea bombs here so that when we return the place is "clean"?

Another theory I have is that the raccoon that is visiting my deck nightly may be the carrier of the chiggers. He clawed my beach towel and left it crumpled on my outdoor rug. Both the towel and outdoor rug were brought inside and left in my dining room. I did throw the towel out and last night put the rug back out on the deck. I threw out all the girls blankets and towels. There is a have-a-heart trap on my deck for tonight. If the raccoon gets trapped then he will be moved a few miles away from here.

304 posts