Elsie's ugly teeth

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:09 pm

I do hope the LymDyp works well. The smell may be bad, but it's much better than dealing with those nasty chiggers!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:12 pm

Careful of the 'coon. You don't need rabies along with the chiggers.

I'd use the children's oral Benadryl. Ours have had varied reactions to it, from sleepy to effective to a little hyper. If it were me I'd start with a low end dose, though it is reportedly well tolerated in guinea pigs:

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=37522

My gut hunch is to recommend against a flea bomb, though I've never used them and so don't know what exactly is safe and how to use them. My main concern would be you, Elsie and Annabelle coming back in too soon, before your home has thoroughly aired out. I thought they needed more than a couple of hours to detoxify, but I do *not* know for sure.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:09 pm

I think Talishan may be onto something with the benedryl. Hope the bomb works for you (I am a total wimp when it comes to flea bombs and have been toughing it out with my flea problem, getting rid of them one flea drowning at a time).

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:41 am

I'd be sure not to return to the house many hours more than recommended if I decide to bomb the house.

I'll give Annabelle the Benadryl when I get home from work so I can keep an eye on her.

The raccoon is in the cage this morning....Bye Bye!!!

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:08 am

The more I think about this horrid situation the more I think Elsie brought the chiggers home from the vet. My biting/itching began when she came home and began living in my room.

momof911kids
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:44 am

Ugh, just wanted to say good luck getting rid of these bugs!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:54 pm

You could broach the subject with your vet. Surely he or the staff would know if there were a problem.

Ditto on the hope you will get rid of them!

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:02 pm

"Surely he or the staff would know if there were a problem."

When I ran it by her she ignored it and when I told the vet tech my suspicion she wrote it off saying that they wash the areas down between pets. There is always the possibility that didn't happen.

Who knows all the surfaces and places Elsie was in or on over the course of the three days she spent there. I still think its plausible and likely.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:44 pm

"Who knows all the surfaces and places Elsie was in or on over the course of the three days she spent there."

I would tend to agree with you, especially since chiggers apparently (to say the least) aren't species-specific. Dog, cat, human, guinea pig, hedgehog, rescued wildlife -- any or everything could have brought them into the vet's office.

They'll never admit there's a possibility she got them there, though. Sure they wash the areas down between pets, but three days is a long time, a lot of surfaces, and techs are human. Stuff can be missed, especially if they get a couple of emergencies in a row or something like that.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:17 pm

Okay, I think I have a plan. Saturday I strip down the cage and throw out the bedding and the rest of the blankets/towels that the girls are using. Then, I'll clean the cage and spray it with the diluted Ivermectin.

Then, I'll take the girls out on my deck and wash them down with the LymDyp and then put them in the clean spare cage I have. I'll leave them in there until they dry off and then put them back in their regular cage.

IF I still find the chiggers on Elsie then I'll arrange to leave the house with them and have the house bombed or hire an exterminator to do it.

Then, I'll return with the girls when it's safe and bathe them again in LymDyp and hope it's all over.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:20 pm

Okay, the exterminator can't come until Wednesday at 10:00a.m. He is going to use a spray for chiggers that can be used indoors.

I figure I'd give the girls there's lymDyp bath in the morning before he gets there and then put them in the carrier.
Then when the exterminator arrives I'll pay him and then drive to my mom's house for 2 hrs and then return home with the girls.

I got Elsie's ultrasound report. Her diagnosis is Mitral Valve Endocardiosis/Left Atrial Enlargement/Mitral Insufficiency.

I'm not sure how much time we have left together but I want to be able to hold her so I want the chiggers gone!! And poor Annabelle is scratching. She needs relief too.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:38 pm

I am sure you want these bugs out of your house. I'm sorry you're having to deal with them along with her illness.