Satins and bone loss--Attn: Hollister families

klynne

Post   » Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:31 pm

I'm so sorry Becky. That must have been doubly awful trying to find a vet and none available. Bye little Elvis.

leebee

Post   » Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:36 pm

I'm so sorry Becky. I still remember telling you that you should take the Lion King - he deserved the best home possible, and I knew you were that home. I know these were the 4 best years of his life, even including being the studmuffin in Hollister!

We'll miss you, Elvis.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:16 pm

I loved hearing about him and seeing pictures of his magnificence.

Karen
Slug Whisperer

Post   » Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:54 pm

Oh Becky, I'm so sorry you lost Elvis. I remember him well, he was a very handsome pig. Truly the king of pigs.

Laurie Graham

Post   » Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:27 pm

More sad news: on July 9th, at the age of 4 years and 5 days, Fluffy shuffled off his mortal coil and went to join the choir invisible.

I took his sad little body to Dr. Herman. She did an xray that showed a skeleton made of cottage cheese. She sent in a leg and internal organs for pathology, at "Doctor's Interest", so I don't know when we'll get the results.

As with Elvis, I am hoping the results will in some way go to finding out if there is a connection between satins and bone loss.

Fluffy is currently decomposing, and I hope to be able to examine his holey bones soon.

Becky, I am sorry about Elvis. He really did have the best mom. You did an amazing amount for him.

Laurie

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:58 am

I'm so sorry, Laurie. I hope you get some helpful info from pathology.

Becky

Post   » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:56 am

Oh, Laurie, I'm so sad to hear about Fluffy. The only consolation is he's not in pain anymore.

If you don't mind, I have a couple of questions. Were you still giving him the calcium gluconate? What was the cause of death? Was he still having difficulty eating?

The pathologist report came back for Elvis' bone tissue sample, but I seem to have misplaced it. The interesting part of the report is that his bones were working. In other words, he was making new bone tissue, so the calcium supplementation was working on the bone loss. We have proof of that. If you were supplementing with calcium gluconate and there was no bone rebuilding, that might tell us a great deal about the type of calcium that's effective.

When we were discussing the pathologist's report, my vet said he never would have thought to use calcium lactate. Maybe it's an important element in bone loss reversal. The challenge now lies in coming up with a treatment plan that doesn't tax the kidneys and create problems with stones.

I'll post the report when I finally do find the thing.

pinta

Post   » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:14 pm

I am so glad all this stuff is down for reference. Even though I'mresponsible for a lot of the info it leaves my head if it isn't being used.

We recently had another satin rescue pig come into our home. Buffy looks like cavyslave8's Ling Ling. Not sure of the breed but I know that she is a satin. I thought she was light in weight when she came and we had an xray done. Bad arthritis in her spine but the bones looked okay.

Her first day here(before her vet appt.) was spent grazing and running in the backyard. All the sudden exercise triggered her arthritis and my vet wasn't even sure if she'd survive the weekend she was in such bad shape. Metacam made a huge difference and she was fine until the weight started coming off gradually and then faster and faster.

Another xray revealed a change in her bones and my vet told me to go find out the dose of calcium lactate she would need.

So I came here for reference.

It's only been a week but she is up 1 oz. so the 75mg calcium daily lactate seems to be having some effect.

This is my second satin and my second experience with calcium depletion.

rshevin

Post   » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:24 pm

I believe Ling Ling is a texel (texil?). There's a satin texel on my vet's ARBA/ACBA poster and I remember thinking "wow now THERE'S a breed destined for genetic problems. I hope Buffy is feeling better soon. Poor little baby but I can only imagine how happy she was grazing on real grass in your yard. What a heaven.

pinta

Post   » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:11 pm

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... =8&t=74962

Essay on breeding satins. Especially interesting is that Finland and Sweden have banned breeding satins due to the incidence/links to osteodystrophy or related conditions!