Satins and bone loss--Attn: Hollister families

PauloF

Post   » Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:54 am

Just a tip for taking pictures of X-rays.

Use low tack tape or just tiny bits of tape to fix the X-ray to a window.

Take a picture with a digital camera and then crop the picture to leave only the x-ray portin of the picture. It worked pretty well for me.

Laurie Graham

Post   » Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:41 pm

Thanks again for all the new info re xrays. I have a tripod, so I should be able to get steady pictures. I'll find out if my vets can scan them.

Fluffy is back to eating more mixed foods, so I guess his teeth have grown back enough. He really wants a baby carrot, but he can't grab it, so now I think he can't open his jaws wide enough to take it. Once he gets a hold of something, he can eat it. He now disdains cooked carrots, and will eat a raw one if it is chopped. He wants greens, and he is interested in hay again, although I don't know how much he ate and how much he mushed around.

Yesterday he was lying down, which he hasn't been able to do. Although I would think the hunching indicates pain, I actually forgot to give him the metacam for two days. Is this guy backwards or what?

Laurie Graham

Post   » Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:43 pm

Pinta, I am really unclear what Paget's disease is. Can you help?

Becky

Post   » Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:48 pm

Here's a site that describes it in humans.

In very simplistics terms, instead of the systematic and orderly making and breaking down of bones, the calcium is deposited with no rhyme or reason, resulting in way too much calcium in certain places.

http://tinyurl.com/7fd28

Laurie Graham

Post   » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:54 pm

Hi, all
Last time I came to the site, I couldn't reply, for some reason. Today my husband took pictures of Fluffy's xrays. We were allowed to borrow them from the vet. Interestingly, the consultant's report was in the envelope, so he has scanned that as well.

I do not see in the xrays what the vets see, but I don't have the training and I don't have normal xrays to compare them to. Are there any normal GP xrays on this site?

Meanwhile, Fluff's teeth have apparetnly grown back, but now I don't know what to do, or if I need to do anything. He eats banana (mushed), apples and cucumbers, chopped in the food processor, Critical Care and soaked pellets. The only green he likes this moment is dandelion, and I only know two places to get it. Cavy slave indeed.

Laurie

Becky

Post   » Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:45 pm

I took Elvis to the vets yesterday, so I thought I'd update here.

He's been very gradually loosing weight again. Down about 3 1/2 ounces since December. I already had increased his calcium to about 40mg/day, but it wasn't making any difference this time.

The vet checked his teeth--they looked good. His heart and lungs sounded OK, no lumps or inflammation of the bladder or any other problems evident on exam. He's been eating and is as active as any of the other pigs. Also, he hardly ever hops. When I notice hopping, I always give metacam and that seems to help.

We did another x-ray. While his bones aren't normal (and likely, never will be), they hadn't changed at all from the last x-ray we did. This indicates to me that we seem to have arrested the bone loss and are maintaining at least that aspect.

The vet did say, however, that his arthritis in his back knees has progressed. We've had months of practically non-stop rain, so I imagine his joints have been bothering him quite a bit.

My vet really, really doesn't want to increase the calcium. He's afraid it will tax the kidneys too much, particularly given Elvis' age. (He's been around here or Teresa's for nearly four years and was at least a year, probably older, when he was found.)

We're going to try a week of metacam, 0.15cc once a day for a week to see if there is any change.

I also asked about heart. He wants to try pain relief first. If it doesn't make a difference, I'll ask for a trial of heart meds. His x-ray didn't show any fluids of enlargement, but heart meds seem like the next logical step.

Becky

Post   » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:44 pm

This is one of the hardest posts I've ever made.

Last week, I noticed Elvis cried a few times and found a few spots of blood on the fleece. I took him in a week ago Tuesday and an x-ray showed a stone. It appeared to be lodged in his ureter.

We did an ultrasound a week ago Thursday. The stone was in the ureter, but both the kidneys and bladder were completely clear. No sign of any other stones or sludge. It also appeared that the ureter was not blocked. There was no distention to indicate a blockage.

My vet also drew blood and we discussed treatment options. If the kidney functions were OK, we were considering injecting Elvis with a dye to see where or if there was a blockage. We also discussed removing that kidney.

The bloodwork came back showing no problems with the kidney function, so we were making arrangements to check out the blockage and perhaps schedule surgery.

Tuesday morning I found a few areas of blood on the bedding. I had heard something Monday late, but it didn't happen again. I thought perhaps the stone had moved into the bladder. He was eating and acting perfectly normal when I left for work.

By the time I got home, there was a considerable amount of blood on the bedding and he was pretty unresponsive. There were no guinea pig vets available anywhere. No one would see him, including my 24hr vets since there were no pig vets there.

Later that evening, Elvis passed away. Necropsy showed that the stone had completely blocked the kidney. Everything else looked normal except for the liver. Samples were sent out of his liver, kidneys and also, bone samples were sent to try to learn something about satins and bone loss.

I asked why the other kidney couldn't handle this and he told me sometimes when the ureter suddenly gets blocked, it can send them into acute renal failure.

I've been second-guessing myself about the calcium supplementation and what effect it could have had. However, Elvis has been getting calcium for over a year now and at three times the dosage he was getting the past month. Also, the fact that there was absolutely no sign of crystals in his urine or sludge and/or stones anywhere but the ureter is quite odd. My vet was pretty surprised by this as well.

The stone has been sent to UC Davis as part of the Oxbow stone study.

I will miss my little man very much.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:07 pm

Oh, Becky, I'm so sorry. I know you will miss this little guy.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:12 pm

Oh no, I'm so very sorry.

lisam

Post   » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:22 pm

How sad. I'm so sorry.

ottosmom

Post   » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:53 pm

I'm sorry you lost Elvis. He was an awesome piggy. I remember him from the Hollister rescue ( wasn't he the "Lion King"?). He had a wonderful life with you Becky. He out lived alot of his kids. I lost my Hollister baby last year; he didn't even make it to 3 years old. These guys are special piggies. Rest in peace sweet Elvis.

luvmypigs2

Post   » Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:03 am

I'm so sorry you lost Elvis.

pinta

Post   » Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:59 am

He couldn't have had a better owner.

Piggster

Post   » Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:05 am

Oh no, I'm so sorry Becky. What a wonderful life you gave Elvis. He was one of the first piggies that I admired when I first found Cavy Spirit and later here at GL.

Rest in peace sweet Elvis.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:32 am

I'm very sorry. He had a good life with you.

Julian
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:32 am

I'm so sorry Becky. Elvis was a magnificant pig.

swannie
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:20 am

He really was. I'm sorry you lost him, but as GP Lover said, he had the best possible life with you.

Take care.

Teresa

Post   » Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:00 pm

Becky, I'm so sorry. And I'm so thankful. Thankful that Elvis aka The Lion King went to you. His suffering was so minimized and his life extended -- and what a great life he had with you! His life and your contributions continue to help others.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:24 pm

I'm very sorry to hear about Elvis.

Erin8607
Knee Deep

Post   » Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:06 pm

I'm sorry, Becky. Daisy and I sent our sympathies.

210 posts