Satins and bone loss--Attn: Hollister families

gpservant

Post   » Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:19 am

I've always thought that Little Lamb's gait has been a bit odd but I've never seen him hop. I need to try to get a video of him going up the ramp and compare it to the one I have from 2 years ago.

If I do decide to get x-rays I'll probably end up driving down to see Dr. N @ Adobe.

Becky

Post   » Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:42 pm

GPS, I think Dr. N would be interested to see LL's x-rays.

Another update--don't know if it's the pain meds, the calcium supplementing or a bit of both, but Elvis is not hopping anymore. He's also up almost an ounce. He's really like a new pig. (Knock wood!)

Piggster

Post   » Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:54 pm

That's great news Becky! I hope the improvement continues.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:31 pm

Great news indeed! I hope he keeps it up.

Evangeline

Post   » Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:39 am

Great!!

Jill

Post   » Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:50 pm

Way to go, Elvis.

KarasKavies
For the love of my girls!

Post   » Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:35 pm

Becky, I just saw this thread. Great new about The King! I am almost positive that my Daisy and Poppy are his daughters. They are not satins, however. Their two brothers were beautiful satins. I wonder who got them. I'm sure it's recorded somewhere.

Since there are not satins, but more likely than not come from him, are they still at risk? Mom is not a satin either. She is Teresa's Buffy.

Hi GPS!!!! Look at my boy! What a hog he is humping LL all the time. Tell him to go him a rock or something else and to leave LL alone. Poor little thing.

Becky

Post   » Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:06 pm

I was going to update this, so what a nice surprise to "see" you, KK!

Are they at risk? Hmmm...I'll look into that. From what I gather, it's a possibility. Dr. N. certainly was interested in taking a look at the x-rays of any local Elvis babies (or most likely babies.) Wasn't he the only satin there? If so, it's most likely any satins or babies from a litter with satins were/are his.

To update, we're going to keep Elvis on calcium for a while and do some bloodwork to get some base numbers. The calcitonin has to be injected and has to be preceeded with sufficient calcium, so we're proceeding cautiously. We'll do two treatments, then do follow-up bloodwork and x-rays.

He's not gaining any weight, but not losing any, either. He seldom hops, even with just once-a-day metacam.

I backed off his dosage to 75mg/day after an episode of blood a few days ago. No further problems, though, and he's acting absolutely normal in all other ways. Pissed as hell at me for grabbing him all the time, but he really likes the calcium lactate, mixed with Odwalla Superfood. MAJOR pain in the butt coming up with a good mixture, by the way. They ought to use this stuff for building skyscrapers, it's so hard!

He (and the rest) get to go outside daily (unless it rains!!! for direct UV rays.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:26 pm

I thought the calcium lactate was a fine powder that mixed in fluids fairly easily. No?
Good luck to him. Walking better is good.

Becky

Post   » Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:33 pm

Oh, yeah, it mixes fairly easily. Then all those little calcium granules start absorbing the liquid and it gets quite pasty in no time, particularly in the frig.

Here's the concentration I worked out that is relatively doable. I mix 600mg of powder with 36ml of Odwalla, use a wisk to mix it, and press it through a mesh strainer. I keep it in a 35 ml syringe and syringe some into a smaller bottle for individual doses.

With this concentration, I give him 4.5cc daily for his 75mg of calcium.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:36 pm

Maybe I missed something. Calcintonin isn't the same as calcium lactate?

lisam

Post   » Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:37 pm

What is the purpose of pressing it through the strainer?

Evangeline

Post   » Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:25 pm

Lynx-
I use calcium lactate in teh form of pills.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Jun 18, 2005 10:29 pm

Ah, so you shove a part of the pill in the mouth? Should be fairly simple then. Maybe Becky should follow suit? I used to chew my calcium pills (swallow them these days as I think in time they would wear on my teeth).

Becky

Post   » Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:04 pm

The only calcium lactate I could find was in capsule form and even then, I had to special order it. I'll ask my pharmacist if she can get me tablets.

Holly, we need to do calcium supplementing for a while since calcitonin (a hormone) pulls calcium from the blood stream. Without calcium support first, it can cause bigger problems.

Also, we need to do bloodwork first, and my vet had to order the calcitonin.

Lisam, I put it through a sieve because it kept clogging my syringe. It made the suspension smoother. I also think it's a way to get a more accurate dosage. (Although, dosage isn't all that critical.)

Leebee took Francine (suspected daughter of Elvis) in today for an x-ray. She reports there are no problems with her bones. Good news.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Jun 19, 2005 12:20 am

Did you try the trick of cutting off the tip of the syringe so you had a tube of even diameter? I'll bet that might help.

Becky

Post   » Sun Jun 19, 2005 12:39 pm

I didn't think of cutting off the tip. Good idea.

I also discovered my hand mixer has a whisk attachment. Tried that today and it worked like a charm.

KarasKavies

Post   » Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:56 am

Becky, any compounding pharmacy should be abole to make the powder into a pill for you. I'm not sure how hard it would be as far as breaking it etc. The nice part is, you could have each pill made into the exact concentration you wanted! I know of several GREAT compounding pharmacies here, and I bet you have some too.

Maybe I'll put a call into N and see what he thinks about Daisy and Poppy. Their 3 brothers (one had the cleft pallet and only lived a week) were satins to the nth degree. BEAUTIFUL pigs. Real lookers, just like daddy. One was balck and white, one was brown white and cream and the litlle TSW was the one that didn't make it.

It sure is fate that with ALL The people who wanted Elvis that he would up with you! Imagine the terrible life he could be living now with someone who only wanted him for his looks.

Leah and T, we really need to find out where the two boys went. I can find out their baby numbers pretty easily. Can we track them down. for some reason I think they went to Washington with Jackie on a trip up there. Maybe before the "big" trip. I don't remember them going on the piggybego. I think they were already placed. Maybe, I'm drunk... who knows! I just worry for their helath.

KarasKavies

Post   » Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:58 am

Does a satin pup from a non-satin x satin breeding have a greater chance of issues that a non-satin pup from a non-satin x satin breeding?

pinta

Post   » Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:44 am

So far the animals with problems are obviously satins or teddies. I think there's been one texel with bone problems that has shown up at emergency.

I suspect that whatever makes the hair kink and the hair shafts hollow is also what causes the bone density problem meaning the wonderful looking hair may be a symptom that something is not quite right. But at this point I'm just musing, guessing and supposing - have absolutely nothing beyond observation to base my theory on.

210 posts