Correct Lasix dosage

Cara

Post   » Fri Nov 15, 2002 1:12 pm

I was only able to get about 2 cc's in her in a 45 mins period. She just fights it so much. I have one more football game tonight but when I get home I'll keep feeding until I get 12 cc's in her.

lisam

Post   » Fri Nov 15, 2002 1:42 pm

It is so frustrating when they refuse to take more. You know she needs it, but it is almost impossible when they decide they won't have anymore. I remember crying watching the stuff just dribble out the sides of Jaina's mouth, knowing how bad she needed it.

Good luck, Cara, you are trying so hard. We're pulling for you.

pinta

Post   » Fri Nov 15, 2002 2:40 pm

Go slow with the handfeeding though. If she has motility problems the food needs to move through and over feeding her won't help. Ideally a few syringes every hour or so would be the way to go. I don't know if Reglan and Propulsid can be given at the same time. I believe they perform the same function. This is a question for your vet.

The soft poops seem to indicate the propulsid is working and fiber would firm the poops up.

If she is eating on her own you may be able to hold off handfeeding. If you can avoid stressing heart pigs, it is better.

Simethicone might be useful to try - Judi Lainer uses "0.15cc, give or take a bit (its 1/2 the low end infant dose), and I use it 2x per day."

And Beano is also helpful. I would use 2 to 3 drops of Beano twice a day til, her weight reduces.

See if your vet has portable oxygen tanks you can borrow/rent. Oxygen can really help get heart pigs over humps.

If the weight is fluid the vet might want to up the Lasix temporarily.

It is so tricky treating these guys for heart since there is nothing written. Forces them to be true guinea pigs.

Cara

Post   » Fri Nov 15, 2002 4:04 pm

Ok, good info for me. Her breathing is no longer noticablly labored. She's not getting the reglan, just that one injection. So now I won't hand feed. That was my worry, forcing more food into her when what's in there isn't quick to come out. She is eating on her own and I think I'll hold while she eats to see actually how much she's eating. It's hard with four pigs in the same cage. Vet said propulsid was for the G.I. tract motility. What is simethicone? Is Beano ok to use while on propulsid? The only fluid in her was around her heart and in her lungs. There was air in her belly and food in the GI tract. She weiged 1.15 when I went home over lunch. I don't know what to make of the weight changes. I'm not able to feed her every hour or so. I was lucky to get off two mornings off to go to the vets. My headmaster is allwoing me to go home during lunch to give her the lasix.

lisam

Post   » Fri Nov 15, 2002 4:29 pm

Is it possible to put her in her own cage for the time being? I have a small cage that we call "the sick cage" that we put pigs into whenever they require handfeeding or special treatment. I put it right next to the other pigs, so they can see and hear and smell each other.

Cara

Post   » Fri Nov 15, 2002 4:36 pm

I don't have another cage. She's never been away from her mom or her sisters. I've been taking her to the ve t with Squeaky. I wonder if it would be more stressful to be alone. It's a good idea though but with her I'd be afraid. Thanks for the suggestion though!

pinta

Post   » Fri Nov 15, 2002 6:46 pm

Okay - it sounds like the propulsid has done it's job. It's harder to get than Reglan but Reglan stimulates the gut too. I would ask the vet about giving her daily Reglan for a while to make sure the food is moving through.

Beano is okay to give at the same time. It basically just makes it easier to digest gassy stuff. Enzymes to aid digestion, maybe? I know it really did the trick for one of mine with a chronic gassy tummy AND motility problems.

Simethicone(sp?) is an infant gas remedy that works in the intestine.

Since her weight is returning to normal - I would start supplementing by handfeeding just to make sure she doesn't start losing weight.

You might have to separate her just for access to veggies but I wouldn't want to separate her all the time - too stressful.

Cara

Post   » Fri Nov 15, 2002 9:55 pm

Do you think reglan and propulsid together is overkill? She gets the propulsid every 12 hours until next Thurs, when we go back to see the vet. I'm going to Rob's work sometime tomorrow to check the board. I'll get some Beano tonight. Thanks for all the advice!

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Fri Nov 15, 2002 10:35 pm

I would. Reglan and Propulsid do very similar things. Overkill.

pinta

Post   » Fri Nov 15, 2002 10:47 pm

Oh okay - I missed that she was on Propulsid daily. I think Reglan might be more benign than propulsid.

Cara

Post   » Fri Nov 15, 2002 11:15 pm

Ok, I went home and gave her the lasix and propulsid. She ate only a bit of romaine, licked pepper and ignored tomato and cranberry. She is hungry, she wants to eat but it's like she knows she doesn't have room. I came back into town and got the beano. Just an eye dropper with 2-3 drops into her mouth?

Also how long does it take for the propulsid to remove the extra food/gas? It's been a day now. I am so worried I am going to lose her. SHe can't eat much and I'm worried about forceing the critical care into her. I haven't given her anymore since lunch. I held her while she ate the lettuce. Then I took the other three girls out and let just Zipper in the cage to eat. She wouldn't eat anymore. Should I take her back to the vet tomorrow?

pinta

Post   » Fri Nov 15, 2002 11:28 pm

Yes - take her to the vet tomorrow - she may need a hydration subcue.

2 to 3 drops beano in her mouth. The Reglan usually works in a few hours - not sure about the propulsid.

No, you shouldn't force her to eat if her stomach is full of gas - you could try gently massaging her tummy.

-------

The beano dispells the drops right out of the bottle.