Correct Lasix dosage

Cara

Post   » Thu Nov 07, 2002 8:17 am

First, Lynx, don't be mad at me for starting a new thread but I want to make sure Pinta or Josephine sees this asap.

Zipper does have an enlarged heart. Vet did x-rays and said it could be contengital since she is a runt. Vet also said there is some fluid in her left lung, liver looks good. Breathing was terribly labored, I mistook the labored breathing for a strongly beating heart. Vet gave her an injection of Baytril .2 cc's I believe and an injection of Lasix 2.5 ml. I was given baytril for give twice a day.2 cc's. I was given an RX for liquid lasix but my pharamacy didn't have it and called around to several and they don't carry it. They are ordering it for me and should be in about 9am today. They did crush up the dosage in a pill and put it in a solution for me to give to her this am. The dosage of the liquid lasix is 2ml every 12 hours. I called my vet this am and she's not in yet. She'll call me. I don't think the lasix dose is high enough to get her stabilized. Her breathing did improve last evening but this am it's almost right back to where it was when I took her in. I had printed several threads but when she said lasix and an injection I didn't bring them up. She said Zipper is certainly not in heart failure so I didn't mention a higher dose. Pinta, you said after four hours your pig in complete failure acted like nothing had happened. Should Zipper be back to normal after a good dose of the lasix? Should it take a few days to return to normal? The vet said I should see an improvement in about an hour after the injection, which I did. I also don't think I got the entire dose into her this am as her breathing was quite labored and I was afraid of getting into her lungs. She is drinking like a fish, vet said this dosage wasn't high enough to worry about dehydration as long as I see Zipper drinking, and she is. She ate her veggies and pellets this am. I just want to make sure the lasix is high enough. Sorry to go on and on. I worry way too much sometimes, I think.
Thanks!!!!

Jill

Post   » Thu Nov 07, 2002 9:38 am

Good luck, Cara.

Christal

Post   » Thu Nov 07, 2002 9:45 am

Here is the info Pinta suppilied me with when we were considering it for Oliver:

The dose we usually start heart pigs on is 0.5cc (10MG/ML oral solution Lasix) daily. We notice an improvement if it is working in about 5 days - sometimes sooner. Bloom is on 0.75 divided dose for twice daily.

Cara

Post   » Thu Nov 07, 2002 9:56 am

Aurgh! I don't get the difference between cc's and ml. Zipper is on 2 ml every 12 hours. What's that in cc's? 0.2? I guess I shouldn't panic that it's not completely better. Vet still hasn't called and I'm making myself naseous. sp?

I also worry because I can't bring her here with me, band room is way too noisy for an already stressed pig and I can't always ask my Atila the Hun assist. headmaster if I can go home at lunch. I'm trying to corner the headmaster before lunch today.

Christal

Post   » Thu Nov 07, 2002 10:02 am

Someone correct me here but 1cc=1ml yes?
So 0.5 cc of a 10mg/ml solution would be 5mg of medicine?

Yes?No?

PauloF

Post   » Thu Nov 07, 2002 10:07 am

1cc = 1ml
(1 cubic centimeter equals 1 mililiter)

Cara

Post   » Thu Nov 07, 2002 10:07 am

Just spoke with the vet, she is worried. told me to get the lasix over lunch and give her .2 cc's every 8 hours, giving her another dose at lunch. I'm to call her when i get home from work and let her know if it's improving. I just spoke with the pharmasist sp? and he said .2 cc's is equal to 2 ml. Pinta? Do I increase the lasix on my own or go with my vet and see what Zipper is like about 3:30 after this .2 dose around noontime?

So pinta's dose of 5 ml is actually 5 cc's? not .5 cc? I'm so confused.
Last edited by Cara on Thu Nov 07, 2002 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Nov 07, 2002 10:13 am

Yes. 1cc=1ml

So the pig would be getting in half of a 10mg/ml (aka 10mg/cc), 5mg.

Cara needs to supply mg/cc
This tells how concentrated it is.
If her pig is getting 2ml, the amount of the drug will depend on the concentration.

For example, if it was diluted to 1mg/cc, then 2 ml would be providing 2mg.

And no, you cannot start a new thread on the same pig. People read what is new, what is at the top. Pinta would not miss it, neither would anyone else.

You are going to the back of the class. Next time I'm sending you to the principal's office.

Christal

Post   » Thu Nov 07, 2002 10:18 am

.2 cc is NOT 2ml.

You need to know the concentration of the formula. This dosage Pinta recommended to me was for suspected heart disease. If you have a pig that definately has heart disease and is crashing I would think (but again I am reiterating the fact I am not an expert or even that knowledgable) you would need a higher dose.

Christal---pure layman and no expert

PauloF

Post   » Thu Nov 07, 2002 10:21 am

You are going to the back of the class. Next time I'm sending you to the principal's office.

Oh, you're so lucky. In the old days you'd get the ferule for this.

Cara

Post   » Thu Nov 07, 2002 10:24 am

AAAAA so .2cc isn't 2 ml like the phamracist said. I have no idea what the concrentration is. Didn't realize it wouldn't be straight lasix. The pharamcy still have the Rx. headmaster said I can go during lunch.

Evangeline

Post   » Thu Nov 07, 2002 11:28 am

Just as a side note, Lasix is a very common drug for horses, so if your vets don't have it, they could call a livestock vet.