Steve's teeth?

Brandilynn
Who's your Branni?

Post   » Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:53 pm

Hmmm.. you might be right - there is some kind of gel stuff.. I do not remember the name of it, OH Alternagel - aluminum hydroxide is what I was misremembering.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:06 pm

I was reading up on home sub-qs. I'll ask him about that.

I have to run and play taxi. Vet hasn't called yet. If I don't hear from him at home, I'll try again tomorrow.

Steve's sample was very pale. I wonder if this is significant.

melcvt00

Post   » Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:45 pm

Pale urine usually means its not concentrated, which CAN mean that the kidneys are having trouble.

One of my pigs drinks a ton of water. Always has. Her urine looks pretty pale because of it. Keep water from her for a couple hours, and the concentration goes up, meaning her kidneys are working.

I would consider keeping water from Steve for a couple hours before an appointment, then have the specific gravity (concentration) checked. If it goes up from what you took in the last time, then his kidneys are working. If it doesn't go up, then his kidneys could be starting to fail.

Bloodwork would be the next thing to do. A BUN/Creatinine would check those two kidney enzymes. A phosphorus level needs checked, too, because animals in kidney failure can't get rid of the phosphorus like they're supposed to. Brandilynn is right - aluminum hydroxide would need to be given for an elevated phosphorus. It's actually available OTC as an antacid liquid.

Depending on the bloodwork, SQ fluids would be a good idea. So would checking for a bladder infection fairly often, since kidney animals are more prone to them.

pinta

Post   » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:27 pm

Beets are good(unlimited) - greens and root, raw, pureed so they can be syringed. Daily subcues. Do search on Dominic to get the brand name of the gel stuff - can't find my bottle at the moment.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:58 pm

He had bloodwork recently. His creatinine level was what made the vet suspicious initially. I will ask about the other results.

How does one know a ripe beet? I never eat them.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:25 pm

Beets are like carrots. They just are. Be aware that you'll get darker pee and poop from the beets, but pigs love them.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:02 pm

I go to the vet tomorrow to learn to sub-q. Steve's blood will be rechecked in a few weeks. BUN was also reported as "a little high". It was suggested that I watch his calcium intake.

Vet seems pessimistic.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:53 pm

They taught me how to do them tonight, with the butterfly needles and all that.

Steve shrieked and shrieked and twitched and jumped. It was horrible. Is it supposed to be like that? Is there a trick to making it better for him?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:15 pm

I empathize, RS. We are eventually going to have to learn to do subcues at home and neither my husband nor I are in any hurry to do so, because of what you just described.

Was the fluid warmed before administration?

pinta

Post   » Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:32 pm

Sounds like room temperature fluids. There should just be a bit of a jump when the needle connects and then nothing. Fluids should be body temperature.

I've given subcues to many different pigs and not had a problem.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:42 pm

Yes, body temperature (say, 100 degrees F) and maybe distract him with something to eat.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:24 am

So you think it sounds like it wasn't warm enough? She said I could microwave the bag for a min if it wasn't warm, but that I didn't (obviously) want it too hot.

At home, I will definately give him something to eat if it helps.

Talishan, it's not hard to do, just wasn't what I expected. When I saw Judi give a pig fluids, I didn't see the hopping, but I wasn't sure if that meant she did it better or that the pig was too sick to care.