Steve's teeth?

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:48 pm

To update, except for my nerves and re-doing everything (but the administration) the first time, warming the syringe-full under the tap works fine. No more freaking out (him or me). I also went really slow. I don't know if this was a factor, but it seemed to be better.

Now I just need to find a store that sells raw beets. I've been to three. Are beets out of season?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:10 pm

I found them last week at Gelsons!

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:14 pm

I see beets in just about every store. The best ones come with greens attached (my pigs love those too) - you know the root is fresh if the greens look good.

I hope you can find some! Steve should really enjoy them. I've been feeding them cut up, with greens, and the pigs have been very happy. They dig out the beets first thing and leave the lettuce for later.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:39 pm

Good luck, RS. I'm so glad the subcues are not as difficult now.

Kellyjo

Post   » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:26 am

I don't know how I posted here..wrong thread. :(

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:34 am

How come you can find them your way but I can't? Arg. I plan on going to the "fancy" Giant tonight. Regular Giant doesn't have them.

Lynx, me, too! I kept forgetting steps and dropping things.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:43 am

How much calcium can you give a pig with kidney problems? I worry that part of Steve's problem is not getting enough calcium, but I also don't want him to end up with stones.

I'm calling the vet again today. He has trouble eating. He chews very very slowly, and even CC takes forever.

He's otherwise active and alert. In the mornings, he will beg as per usual, and did some laps around the livingroom last night. He is quite thin, though. He poops frequently, but they are small. I can't seem to keep weight on him.

What now?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:47 am

I think concentrating on food in the correct ratio is better than looking at base amounts of calcium.

It's tough when you can't keep weight on a pig.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:53 am

He has an appointment Tuesday (but I'm going to call Monday and see if the regular vet can see us). I'm going to spend my long weekend feeding him, I guess.

I also need to check my scale. It says he's 1lb 8 oz, but when I take him off the scale, it says -1 lb 11 oz. That's a significant difference. Either way, he's still under his old 2 lbs 2 oz weight from the summer.

Brimstone
For Rocky

Post   » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:01 pm

RS - I'm so sorry to hear about Steve's troubles. I hope he improves soon and starts packing some weight on.

Does he still hop? One of my vets mentioned something once about seeing possible connections between arthritis and kidney disease. I was wondering if Steve was ever diagnosed with arthritis.

My Rocky has kidney disease, although at his last exam the bloodwork showed his levels were within normal parameters. (yay!) He hops a little and sometimes can't get his feet over the edge of his cozy cuddle. Physical exam didn't indicate any pain or stiffness in his legs/hips, but we haven't had an xray to rule out arthritis.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:07 am

I'm sorry to hear Rocky has kidney problems, too.

He hops occasionally (mornings, mostly) but is walking a lot more normally. It doesn't stop him from a nightly run around the livingroom. I had some Meloxicam so I've been giving it to him again. Vet said I should if I thought he was in pain. One of the things I want to discuss with the vet is getting more Meloxicam for long-term dosing, and further tests.

Baby food encouraged him to eat a bit more yesterday and this morning, so I am hopeful.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:17 am

The regular vet called me back. Says to increase Steve's dose (I'd been giving him a half dose because I was low and that's what I'd given him to wean him off it after the last trim) to the full amount. I'll pick it up tomorrow. He did say that with kidney problems, it's not the best med, but he wants to keep Steve comfortable. Any thoughts on this?

He also said he can squeeze us in at 3:15 Monday.

I know I'm on borrowed time, much as I hate to admit it. But I'll keep fighting for Steve as long as he's still able to enjoy life.