Steve's teeth?

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:57 am

Steve's weight has gone up 2 ounces since Monday, but I fear it's all water weight. He's a bit lethargic, but it might be the meds. I'm giving him the lowest dose (same as Rocky got). I've also been keeping the Snuggle Safe warm for him and I know he's been laying on it. He gets handfed 3x a day, and as much of the other hay/veg as he can manage. His BUN was very high, like 102 or something. Creatine (sp?) was more normal.

I need to call the vet today and give him an update. I don't know what to ask.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:43 pm

Vet said that I'd know if Steve was retaining/getting too much fluid if I weighed him tonight and he hadn't lost any from last night. Also said to look for trouble breathing and swelling in the limbs.

Of course, I want to run home and check right now, but I can't.

Anything else I should be looking for?

lisam

Post   » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:50 pm

I don't know, but good luck.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:52 pm

I don't know either. Just here to offer encouragement and sympathy.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:42 pm

He's gone.

Piggster

Post   » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:53 pm

Oh no RavenShade. I'm so sorry. I'm at a loss for words right now. Too much loss around here lately on GL

You were a wonderful caregiver to him. Hugs to you.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:58 pm

I am so sorry to hear about Steve. Too much sadness today. I really feel for you. You did everything you could.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:09 pm

I'm so sorry about this. The past two months have been awful around here. I feel like ever since I lost Sophie the end of January so many are following her. I feel so sad reading about all the losses.

I see Steve made it to 6 which is nice. Sophie made it to 6 also. It's so hard when they've been such a part of your life. You think some will be around for 7 or 8yrs and then suddenly they're gone. O:(

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:27 pm

Thanks.

I'm still kind of shell-shocked. You prepare but can't really prepare for the inevitable.

I know I did all I could, but it still hurts. I know he wasn't well this morning. He was my healthiest pig. He only started having tooth trouble in September, I think. If it wasn't for his kidneys, I think he'd still be around.

I will miss him very very much. When I got him, I didn't think he'd be as special as Max. I was wrong.

I'm not having a necropsy done. I'm just going to bury him by the lilacs.

lisam

Post   » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:31 pm

Oh, I'm so sorry. It's very sad. I think by the lilacs will be a perfect spot.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:59 pm

I am so terribly sorry, RS. I know how worried you were about him. Teeth can be so difficult to get under control. It is so hard when you fight your best and he still slips away.

From your stories, he sounded like he was such a special pig. I know he will be missed.

klynne

Post   » Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:29 pm

I'm so sorry.