Older sow losing weight

Fweeprluvr

Post   » Sat May 20, 2006 9:56 pm

That is probably whaat I would do. Plus in case it isn't her teeth, maybe he can tell you what it is. Have you seen him before?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun May 21, 2006 1:33 am

Goldie saw him in January and had full dental xrays.

But tonight Lawomans and I looked at her teeth - it looks as if her bottom teeth are way too long and may be touching the roof of her mouth. Her top teeth, which took so long to grow back, are sticking out.

I'm actually going to take her in to my vet on Tuesday and have him file the lower incisors a bit so they can't hit the roof of her mouth.

It would be wonderful if that was all it took to get her interested in hay again!

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Sun May 21, 2006 1:57 am

Mum, you know me, can't really offer any helpful suggestions.

But you’ve got a truckload of ninja good vibes coming your way from our family here!

Fweeprluvr

Post   » Sun May 21, 2006 2:39 am

We have a piggy that routinely comes into my vet that has one of his upper front teeth that is discolored and growing weird, which screws up the other teeth, so they have to get them trimmed all the time.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun May 21, 2006 11:04 am

That sounds exactly like Goldie's problem.

I'm still going to see Dr. L. when he comes into town, but this might alleviate the problem a bit until June 10.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon May 22, 2006 2:43 pm

I need teeth advice from those that know.

Goldie is dropping weight like crazy. She will/can only eat salad, and I'm back to handfeeding her twice a day (50-60ccs critical care). I'm fairly sure her bottom teeth are touching the roof of her mouth, and I see a small pus-like thing on her upper lip. My vet is not a tooth person, but I can't wait until June 10 to see Dr. Lyon. In the meantime, I'm thinking of asking my vet to just trim the bottom incisors so they don't touch the roof of her mouth.

He doesn't have a dental x-ray machine. Last January Goldie had a full dental xray by Dr. Lyon and her teeth were fine, although I believe he did just even up the incisors which were a little jagged.

I just took two pics:

Not the best pics, but all I can manage with one hand on the pig and the other on the camera :-p

She's on doxy in case of any infection, and will remain on it until she sees Dr. Lyon for the dental xray.

klynne

Post   » Mon May 22, 2006 2:57 pm

Ok, I know that you aren't supposed to focus on the incisors, as they are usually most always an indicator of molar problems.

BUT. I personally would have the vet trim those lower incisors. Good lord, if they are hitting the upper palate, as it looks as if they are, how could she tolerate chewing?

Since you will be getting the molars done on June 10, perhaps the doxy and the incisor trim will be stop-gap to keep her going til then. Not ideal, but maybe the best you can do with a bad situation.

My vet also does not do molars, and we trim one of my guys incisors in between--not advice I usually hand out in public cause most folks then do not follow up with addressing the molar issues--but I so know that is not you, Mum, and that you are doing all possible.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon May 22, 2006 3:09 pm

Klynne, that was exactly my thinking.

When I first started using my vet for the pigs he wanted to cut all their incisors short! It's now a standard joke that he's NOT to touch their teeth.

But this is getting to be an emergency, and at least I know he'll do exactly what I tell him to do - and no more. I'm thinking just a tiny bit off the bottom. (I rather think one of those upper incisors may be rotten and need to be pulled. And I'm wondering if she has TMJ and may need a chin sling, but I'll let Dr. Lyon make that call.)

This poor baby has lost a ton of weight since last August - she used to be fat, and how she's bony. I've had every test done I can think of (within reason), and I'm at my wit's end here.

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Mon May 22, 2006 3:43 pm

It’s just so frustrating to watch our piggies losing weight, but you are doing the best you can with her, she cannot ask for a more fitting mommy. I still can’t tell the difference between molars and incisors...
Hopefully the teeth issue can be resolved soon, and she will be on a course of weight gain under your TLC.
Hang in there Mum!

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Mon May 22, 2006 4:14 pm

My Elsie has teeth problems and the only way to help her is to have them clipped every 6 weeks. She has extra teeth on the front bottom and when they get too long I bring her in. It takes my vet 2 seconds to slip this tool he has over the teeth and snip them off. No pain and it's quick. Her teeth are brittle and just are not normal but she can eat with them. I bring her in when they look like they are touching the roof of her mouth.

For a few days to a week Elsie cannot tear lettuce so I have to rip it into little pieces and hand feed them into her mouth.

Your pigs teeth look similar on the bottom but on the top it looks like gum tissue is growing between and the teeth edges are jagged.

Have you tried feeding little pieces of greens and fruit into her mouth? I would try that until you can get her in for a tooth trim.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon May 22, 2006 5:26 pm

You can also file them with a nail file (a glass nail file or a metal one with no pointy parts).

Fweeprluvr

Post   » Tue May 23, 2006 4:06 am

I think the lower ones are supposed to be a little longer than the upper ones, but those look really long. I am thinking he should cut off a third to a half of the bottom ones. I don't know how she is able to even chew what you force feed her with them like that.

It also looks weird on top too. Looks like tissue is growing between the teeth and separating them. I don't know what that is.

Are you going to your vet tomorrow, I hope?