Request for heart pig stories

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:14 pm

Heddwyn is my pig (yes, my case studies), and these sounds are all involuntary!

Heddwyn, incidentally, is thriving on his lotensin, even at a good 6+ years old.

The sounds are very difficult to describe: think of the breathing sounds somebody makes with pneumonia, if you've ever heard that.

cookiewise

Post   » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:53 pm

Thanks Mum

I have heard the clicking sound of pneumonia - in piggies and people - but never the other noises described. Yay for Heddwyn thriving on Lotensin - it certainly sounds like the wonder drug for heart problems.

I am really interested in behavioural changes in piggies and am monitoring (and filming) some odd new behaviours in my 5 year old boar Scruff.

Following his dramatic weight loss at new year (he was 1.3kg and is now thankfully stable at 1.08kg) I initially thought he may have heart issues.

He has taken to resting lying on his side, sometimes with a foot in the air; sometimes on his comfy chair, other times in the middle of the pen on a big pile of hay; often this 'resting' is accompanied by grumbling squeaks - especially when he tosses and turns a few times to find a better position.

The speed at which he jumps up and tears off when reminded he is a prey animal however, make me think that perhaps his relaxed and very laid back behaviour is symptomatic of contentment.

It's funny - in any of the younger pigs I'd find this behaviour terribly cute; in the Scruffmeister any noted change inevitably triggers a mild flutter of panic for me.

I suppose I'm still on edge after my losses in January because he eats well, is bright and lively (particularly when any of the lovely sows are in heat!!). He's just very bony and a bit slow to waken up at times.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:58 pm

He's just very bony and a bit slow to waken up at times.
Typical of a heart pig :-p

If you have a thread on this guy, we should add this on to it and not continue the discussion here!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:49 pm

cookiewise, please ask questions about your pig on your "Neutering After Effects" thread (this will help keep this thread more focused on heart pig stories vs. questions).

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:45 am

1 - Ace, American, pink eyed, orange coloured 3 and 1/2 years, unaltered boar
2 - lethargic, noisy breathing, eye troubles, URI
3 - x ray taken, heart looks ok (less than 60%), fluid in chest, so undiagnosed as yet
4 - Lasix (Prednicare) 1/4 1 mg tablet once a day, Baytril 0.4ml once a day
5 - still ongoing, awaiting Lotensin being prescribed
6 - Pea eye, dandruffy hair, eye problems (Osseus something, sorry can't remember the full name)

I'll update this when I get better results but I'm sure that Ace is a heart pig, he has alot of the symptoms but his heart looks fine on his xray

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:25 am

Ah crap, I posted it wrong. I'm a fool when it comes to medication names.

For number 4 it should say:

Lasix 10 mg 1/4 tablet once a day (but I decided to give him half on a morning and half on an evening) - he's not on this at the moment
Prednicare 1 mg 1/4 tablet once a day - currently taking
Baytril 0.4ml once a day - currently taking

AliceMcmallis
Supporter in '08

Post   » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:15 am

1 - Chloe, American, approx. 4 yrs old, intact female

2 - Pea eye, excess gas, lack of muscle tone, lack of energy, heavy breathing, weight loss, bumblefoot, hooting - in that order over an approx. 4-6 month period with the last four symptoms appearing within the last few weeks.

3 - Had a physical while she only had pea eye, gas, lack of muscle tone - was to monitor symptoms. Recheck and x-ray with heavy breathing, weight loss, etc. X-ray showed unambiguously an enlarged heart and fluid in lungs, plus large pockets of gas and bloating in the bowel.

4 - We will begin her on Lasix 2.5 mg twice a day and Fortekor (benazepril, dosage currently unknown) for the heart.

5 - results of treatment not known yet.

6 - No previous notable history of illness; Chloe is currently getting simethicone, cisapride and massages for the gas, fuciderm application, chlor hexidine solution soaks, Metacam and soft bedding for the feet, and is being supplemented with Critical Care.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri May 02, 2008 8:08 pm

Updating Llewelyn's history from October 2006:

1 - breed, age and sex of pig: Llewelyn, approx 4, neutered male

2 - brief description of symptoms that made you suspect heart problems: recent weight loss, severe gurgling after neuter surgery which responded well to lasix, much quieter than previously. Yesterday brief rattling, heart murmur, this morning faint hooting.

3 - diagnostics done and the results: heart x-ray taken a year or so ago was normal. Not doing a new one at the moment

4 - treatment, med and dosage: lasix 3mg twice a day for about a week, lotensin 1mg twice a day

5 - results of treatment: TBD

6 - other med issues: arthritis in one knee

Weightloss continued over the past 18 months. In spite of handfeeding lost a huge amount of weight. Molars overgrew, and he had to have surgery - which was cut short when he started to gurgle. Came home and added in lasix 2mg twice daily, continued with lotensin at 1mg twice daily (he weighed 1lb 10 ounces). Was euthanized today. Necropsy showed:

Severe cardiomyopathy: both ventricles were so thickened there was almost no room left in the chamber.
Severe ascites and fluid around his heart.
Very large red cyst on one kidney, another very large clear cyst on the other kidney.

Llewelyn was estimated to be 6 or 7 years old.

CavyHouse
Supporter in '11

Post   » Wed May 07, 2008 11:53 am

1. Bert - American smoothhair adult male; age unknown when rescued 12/1/07;

2 - 12/12/07- Vet exam for crusty eyes; vet noted 4/6 grade heart murmur.

3 - XRay showed him to have a very enlarged heart.

4 - Enalapril .2 ml BID; (200mg Nealapril + 18 ml Oraplus + 2 ml Orasweet)

5 - Bert was gaining weight. Was 838 grams on 12/1/07; went to high of 910 grams. Started dropping a lot of weight around 4/15/08; Was drinking lots of water before this (16 oz daily between his buddy and him) but water consumption went way down too. Refused hand feedings. Didn't want veggies. Did followup XRay 4/25/08. Heart had decreased in size. Took blood for blood panel. I didn't get the results of blood panel because Bert was doing so poorly that we had him euthanized a few days later.
6 - Had 2 UTIs during treatment for heart condition.

LAWomans
"Live Long and Prosper"

Post   » Fri May 09, 2008 3:32 pm

1. Baby - Aby female - approx. 18 months old when I got her, 2 years old now.

2. Seen by vet because stopped eating - owner could not care for her. X-rays showed very enlarged heart. Had very fast heart rate and labored breathing.

3. Also, severe scurvy (she had no vitamin C for the year and a half the owner had her). Very small and underweight - 589 grams. She had to be syringe fed for 3 months, plus subcue fluids for 1 month. She now eats on her own, weighs 730 grams, but has chronic head tilt and behavioral problems. (Hides all of the time, bites, and does not interact with me or other pigs)

4. On 1cc Lotensin daily plus 1cc vitamin C. I also have her on .15cc of Meticam in case she is still in pain.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri May 09, 2008 5:50 pm

On 1cc Lotensin daily
Is this the 2mg/ml lotensin? In this case, for others who might be reading, this is 2mg of lotensin :-)

LAWomans
"Live Long and Prosper"

Post   » Tue May 13, 2008 7:34 pm

Sorry, it's .5cc twice a day, right?