Request for heart pig stories

LAWomans
"Live Long and Prosper"

Post   » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:19 pm

When I had Freddie x-rayed when I first got him, he didn't have any signs of old age, like arthritis, so we don't really know. He was always quiet but would run up the ramp with no problem.

LAWomans
"Live Long and Prosper"

Post   » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:54 pm

Here is an update on Freddie. He is still responding well to the Vetmedin and Lotensin. He still has fluid in his lungs, especially in the morning, so is on 1cc Lasix per day. He is thin but eats and drinks on his own and even popcorns around the cage. I think the fact he has Polly as his cage mate helps him stay active. He has to share his food so is more interested in eating. I tried separating them at meal times so he would get more but then they both stopped eating. Polly needs piggy Weight Watchers from "helping" Freddie clean up all of the greens.

pinta

Post   » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:54 pm

How many mgs lasix is 1cc?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:16 pm

10mgs/cc. I think Freddie gets 5mg twice daily, since he went into CHF.

LAWomans
"Live Long and Prosper"

Post   » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:09 pm

Mum,

Thanks...yes, Freddie is on .5cc twice daily. He still has congestion and rattles but is bright and is eating just fine. Once he coughs, it seems to help.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:32 pm

Red was just put on .15 ml Benazapril (Lotensin) (2.6 mg/ml suspension) every 48 hours for suspected heart issues. He is not at this point on any other medication.

I brought him in for sounding like a coffee pot. He's also lost weight. The vet did an x ray and felt Red's heard was a little enlarged and that the lungs were not as clear as they should be.

He and his brothers are about 3.5 yrs old, and come from a very inbred family. I kind of expected this to crop up after his mother and sister died young and suddenly.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:34 pm

What is Red's weight? No Lasix for the fluid in his lungs?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:39 pm

I hope this helps him, RS.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:43 pm

Red was just put on .15 ml Benazapril (Lotensin) (2.6 mg/ml suspension) every 48 hours for suspected heart issues.
That dose is so low it won't do anything, in my experience. See if you can get your vet to increase it to the standard of 1mg/kg twice daily.

It sounds as if he also needs lasix for the fluid in his lungs.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:46 pm

That's why I was asking. I'm glad you came along Mum.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:55 am

I'll talk to the vet about the dose, but right now he's very much improved.

mkkayla
Supporter in '14

Post   » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:44 am

OK my vet refuses to try prophylactic heart meds for Carmen. she says 'giving heart meds is dangerous, you can killthem, doing that' To which I said she is dying now, you don't know what is wrong with her, how can it hurt? she was unmoved and won't do it. It was very uncomfortable, on top of that she wants to trim her teeth, just to see if it will help, even though her teeth looked fine on exam, AND her teeth trimming rate just jumped close to 40% more than she used to charge.

Does anyone know if their vet will write a letter on their letterhead giving their reasons and evidence of benefit for starting cavies on heart meds just based on symptoms? It may be the only way to convince her. Carmen is dying but she still has fight left, I feel like I'm letting her down. She used to be a 1200 gram pig, weight now is 880-and she is still eating every veggie I offer. She is fighting the CC but I'm still able to get a decent amount into her. I don't know how much more weight she can lose, she is losing about 50-80 grams a week...