Request for heart pig stories

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:18 pm

1 - breed, age and sex of pig

Heddwyn, 3 or 4, male recently neutered, satin

2 - brief description of symptoms that made you suspect heart problems

Fluid in lungs not responding to either 2 weeks on bactrim or 1 week on baytril/doxy

3 - diagnostics done and the results

Several xrays failed to show heart since fluid obscures view.

4 - treatment, med and dosage

lasix twice daily
lotensin, starting with a small dose to check tolerance

5 - results of treatment

TBD

6 - other med issues

Severe boneloss, which is responding well to calcium and sunlight. Frequently impacted. Maintains weight and energy level.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:47 pm

1 - breed, age and sex of pig
2 - brief description of symptoms that made you suspect heart problems
3 - diagnostics done and the results
4 - treatment, med and dosage
5 - results of treatment
6 - other med issues

Peruvian, age not known, F "Pia"
laboured breathing, no uri, weight loss, lethargic
lotensin twice daily (5mg)
will know shortly
ovarian cysts (spayed) one uri

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:23 pm

1 - breed, age and sex of pig: Llewelyn, approx 4, neutered male

2 - brief description of symptoms that made you suspect heart problems: recent weight loss, severe gurgling after neuter surgery which responded well to lasix, much quieter than previously. Yesterday brief rattling, heart murmur, this morning faint hooting.

3 - diagnostics done and the results: heart x-ray taken a year or so ago was normal. Not doing a new one at the moment

4 - treatment, med and dosage: lasix 3mg twice a day for about a week, lotensin 1mg twice a day

5 - results of treatment: TBD

6 - other med issues: arthritis in one knee

ottosmom

Post   » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:44 pm

1. Fluffy, abbysinian male, 5 1/2 years old

2. labored breathing with gurgling/wheezing sounds
sleeps very soundly with eyes closed
drinking more water lately
good appetite and attitude still

3. chest xray showed alot of gas in abdomen and some fluid in lungs; heart very hard to discern but looks somewhat enlarged, lungs hard to discern as well (too much fluid and gas)

dry, scaly skin

4. vet gave 3 injections:
banamine 50 mg/ml inj/cc
baytril 22.7 mg/ml 0-1cc
vitamin C inj 0.1-0.5cc

treated with Revolution

meds precribed:
furosemide (Lasix) 10mg/ml - .17cc 3x daily for 3 days then .17cc 2x daily for 14 days
cipro 50mg/ml - .26cc 2x daily for 14 days
metacam cc/5cc - .23cc once daily for 3 days then .11cc once daily for 14 days

5. recheck and re-xray chest in 2 weeks
vet is worried about a possible tumor
Fluffy had a cancerous mammary tumor removed in 2003; she noticed his remaining nipple had a bit of discharge and was lumpy.

6. vet also noticed some arthritis on the xray

Fluffy is my very first piggy. He had a very poor start in life and I was almost going to have him put to sleep when he was a baby. I can't believe I've had him over 5 years. He's such a little trooper.

Fweeprluvr

Post   » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:28 am

1. Breed, Age, Sex.
"Jiffy" Abbysinian (Black), 12 month, Female.

2. Symptoms.
Has always been a heavy drinker.
Always been calm.
History of coughing more than the other pigs, approx. 1-2 times per week at least (sometimes more).
Has had a few episodes of a gassy tummy which responded to Simethicone.
Starting to develop pea eye.

3. Diagnostics.
Had whole body X-ray done 9/06 (when she was 10 months old) to check for heart problems due to subtle symptoms. Heart enlarged on X-ray and pushing up on trachea probably causing coughing.

4. Medicine prescribed/dosage.
Started on Lotensin 1/2 mg twice daily. Slowly increased to 1 mg twice daily over the next 2 months.

5. 13 days after starting Lotensin observed her playing with her cagemate and popcorning alot for 3 mornings in a row. Previously never played with cagemate, would just get upset at being bothered by her and pee in her face. She is generally more interactive with owner and cagemates. Coughing has decreased. Still drinks alot. Beginning pea eye is gone although it comes back occaisionally for short periods.

6. None

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:44 pm

1. I thought I would update that Harry continues to be one of my most active pigs even though he is probably around 6. His pea eye remains fairly severe in both eyes but he consistently runs figure eights in the cage and popcorns. He is still on .65 of lotensin twice daily and .1 of metacam once daily.

2. Frizzle coughs so infrequently now. I cannot remember the last time she coughed with or without eating. Her activity level is normal. Still receives .6 lotensin twice daily.

3. Pia no longer breathes with a severe head bob or flattens herself out like she's collapsed. She has filled out with weight. I think she should probably go in for a recheck and xray. Just a gut feeling. She remains on .4 lotensin twice daily.

ottosmom

Post   » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:32 am

Update on Fluffy:

Continues to have labored congested breathing. Lasix is helping.

Receives .17cc Lasix (10 mg/mL) 1-2 times per day; 0.15 mL simethicone 1-2 times per day for gas.

Eats and drinks well.

Received compounded Enalapril today, but want to verify dose with others here first before starting him on it:

Enalapril banana 5 mg/mL suspension
give 0.1 mL by mouth every other day

Fluffy weighs approximately 890-900 grams.

Should I start out with a lower dose at first?

I'm worried Fluffy may have another mammary tumor. I noticed red discharge yesterday. I don't know that he could tolerate another surgery at this point. He will be 6 this Summer. He had a cancerous mammary tumor removed in 2003.

Thanks.

pinta

Post   » Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:56 am

I only know about Fortekor(Lotensin). Couldn't your vet get you that instead of the enalapril? It is easier on them.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:08 am

I see you're in California - I'd get that pig switched to benazepril (lotensin). As Pinta says, it's much less likely to cause other issues.

ottosmom

Post   » Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:38 pm

Update on Fluffy:

He's been on Enalapril for about 1 week. I started giving him 0.1 ml of the 5 mg/ml compounded solution every day. Continue with Lasix 2 times per day as well as the simethicone.

He seems much more active and is eating well. His breathing is very labored when he eats though. It's raspy with a squeaky sound, if that makes sense. I'm going to call my vet and try and switch to Lotensin.

Poor little fellow. I feel so bad for him.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:47 am

Candy, 3+ years abby sow, pulled from shelter 1/16.

Very thin, hunched, fluffed, fast heart rate, not gaining weight. Hooting occasionally.

Xray, full bloodwork, T4. T4 normal.

Xray showed enlarged heart (diagnosed by 2nd vet - first said looked normal), fluid in lungs, stones

1/23 Lasix, bactrim

2/23 After 2nd vet evaluation concurred heart was enlarged. Started on lasix.

Weight instantly started to increase.
Stones to be re-evaluated at a later stage. Two vets concur the 10-20 1ml stones which appear to be in the bladder do not show bladder in normal place.

pinta

Post   » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:02 pm

2/23 After 2nd vet evaluation concurred heart was enlarged. Started on lasix.

Lasix or Lotensin? You have starting on lasix twice. Typo?