Help needed...piggie with bloody scabs

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:27 pm

That's the topical dose (0.5mg/kg). Looks like you figured it fine. If you gave it orally or by injection, we generally recommend less.

Good luck getting rid of those mites!

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:42 pm

Please help somebody! I just removed Jasper's bandages to check him. His scabs were dried up and I decided to put him back in the cage unwrapped.

It took him all of 45 seconds to scratch open two scabs to the point of being bloody. When I first put him down he scratched at himself so bad I THINK he had a seizure...he fell over on his side and his whole body was trembling. I quickly picked him up and put him on my kitchen counter. He was unresponsive and his toes began to curl up!! It was quite scary. I just kept petting his head and talking to him and he came out of it. I thought I was watching him die.

I now have him wrapped up again. I can't take much more of this. It's three weeks, three ivermectin treatments and he's still scratching!!!

I have Prednisolone in the house left over from Angel. Can I and should I give him that? I'll be seeing the vet Monday with Elsie getting her teeth clipped so if there's something else that might help I can ask him for it then.

tkkats
4 the Angels

Post   » Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:51 pm

Maybe he has a fungus infection on top of the mites?

I prefer the topical ivermectin over the injectible simply because I think it works faster. I use Sheep Drench Ivomec and I love the stuff.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:27 pm

That does sound scary, GP Lover. I can see how frustrating it is thinking he should be healed up and then having him bite at himself. Are you seeing any improvement? Maybe the scabs need to heal over and fall off first. Being wrapped up I'm sure aggravates the itchiness. I would write Josephine and ask about the prednisone or see if you can consult with your vet by phone.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:30 pm

I do see improvement after a day because I put Bacitracin on the bloody scabs. So, they are dried up by the next day. However, I must keep him wrapped up or else he scratches himself till he bleeds again....it's a vicious cycle.

I think being wrapped up makes it worse too..but if I leave him unwrapped the result will be the same! It's so frustrating. O:(

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:46 pm

I understand. Those collars to keep him from biting look so darn uncomfortable and even dangerous. No idea if the Chew Guard I'm always posting would help or not. Pic on the supplies page.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:26 pm

You may want to ask your vet about Revolution (selamectin). Topically applied, it does not have ivermectin's proven safety record and opinions toward its use on this board are, I think, mixed. But I believe it can work quicker and can address entrenched cases better and faster than ivermectin.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:37 pm

Isn't there something I can bathe him in or put on his skin for the itching? He's still scratching!

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:40 pm

Steroid shot? Poor guy. With scabs I wouldn't bathe. I'd keep him wrapped and keep going with mite treatments. Sometimes with mites that bad it could take double the time.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:54 pm

Bathing will aggravate the mites and make him hurt more. Poor guy. I would ask the vet for a steroid shot, definitely.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:19 pm

Thanks...I'm seeing the vet tomorrow.

lisam

Post   » Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:35 pm

Good luck, please keep us informed.