How bad is this?

Post Reply
User avatar
Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:47 pm


There's a pig (unknown sex) at the shelter with a nasty wound in its right side. He/she has been there a couple of weeks and was turned in in this condition - I believe it is said to be a 'tumor.' The shelter has been rinsing the wound with betadine. I haven't seen this pig, but Sus took these pics today (the wound is half way down his right side - you can see his ear in the picture):

Image

Image

Image

It would be helpful for us to have some ideas on what this might be, how easy it would be to treat, and basically a best/worst case scenario. It's pretty impossible for any of us at the moment to do a very strict quarantine with another pig, since we're pretty full up. In fact none of us have any room for any new pigs at the moment. But if we did find space, it would be helpful to know what we might be getting into!

Corrine
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:53 pm


Oh, my. Poor baby. Look at that sad little face. To think someone could just let their animal get to this condition without seeking treatment, is just horrid.

User avatar
Serena
It started with Louie...

Post   » Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:54 pm


Ouch. I'm no vet but I would think that wound needs to be sutured. Poor little thing.

User avatar
ladyveg

Post   » Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:01 am


I wonder if a vet might not suture since it's been open for so long. But that is definitely something that screams "VET" to me. At least to find out what it is and how to care for it.

User avatar
Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:15 am


I am betting it is a non-cancerous trichofolliculoma that a good surgical vet could remove and suture. It isn't all that large. What Snowflake did was bite at her probable trichofolliculoma and cause it to bleed (pics on thread below). I think some of them are irritating and itchy. They will not get better on their own. I would think there's a further possibility of infection and certainly it will hurt if untreated.

http://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22255

User avatar
Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:18 am


Yes, he/she clearly needs a vet. But at what cost to the other pigs in the same house, or - indeed - to the bank account? I hate to leave a pig suffering in the shelter, but I'd like an idea what we might be up against before running down there.

I've been lucky in my rescues so far in that I haven't had one with a serious problem - or rather a problem that I couldn't deal with. This is a bad time of year to take on a what might be a very complicated and expensive problem - and I'm not inclined to bring a very sick animal into the house that might a) seriously risk the health of the other pigs, or b) have a good chance of not pulling through, particularly as I'm going to be away for a few days after Christmas.

I had said I would take in no new pigs until the new year, but if this could be a very simple problem, with little risk to the other animals in the house, then it's possible that space could be found (who needs a big old Christmas Tree after all!!).

User avatar
Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:22 am


Don't know if you caught my post (you just posted). You might measure the size of it, bring a photo, and ask your vet for an estimate.
Last edited by Lynx on Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:23 am


Lynx, that is fantastic - it sure looks similar.

My vet, while not incredibly knowledgeable about guinea pigs, is an awesome surgeon, and I would trust him with a knife more than anyone I've met so far.

Sounding pretty good.

User avatar
ladyveg

Post   » Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:23 am


Sorry, mum, I re-read your post. I get it now. I am easily confused. If that shelter isn't going to do more than squirt Betadine on it every day, they might as well just euthanize the poor little guy, because that isn't going to do anything for him and no one will adopt him like that. And I definitely understand your dilemma regarding the commitments you already have to the pigs you already have in rescue.

User avatar
Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:26 am


LV, that's exactly what I thought, but as of today the poor little guy (or girl) is still around.

User avatar
Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:39 am


If you look at all the pics, you'll see what it looks like inside. It is a fiberous kind of growth.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:01 am


Mum, my vet sounds like your vet. Not super incredibly knowledgeable about cavies (though competent), but a damn good surgeon.

I can make a contribution toward surgery, if you decide to have it done. Not a huge one, but sumpthin'.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:33 pm


Since it appears chronic a few days' wait is not an enormous problem, but it needs treatment sooner than later. It appears to be some sort of ulcerated mass. Things like that need to be surgically removed and sent in for a histopath. Other treatments will not fix the problem. I'd be hesitant to say it's benign without a histo since we know so little.

Which shelter is this pig in? Or I guess more directly, how far is it from the Sacramento area?

User avatar
Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:36 pm


Sadly, he's a very long way from Sacramento - in Los Angeles.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:38 pm


Mum, I can help contribute something to the surgery as well.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:39 pm


Bummer.

I'd be worried about sepsis and other issues if it's left like that too long. It sounds like someone needs to make a decision to treat or euthanize, since the long-term prognosis with topical treatment would appear to be poor. Keeping it clean is good, but it needs a lot more than that.

If there is any way to get the pig out of the shelter and treated, it would be a good day for this pig.

User avatar
rachelm

Post   » Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:35 pm


Mum, I would be prepared to make a contribution to treating this pig too. I am in the UK though, so would need to send you the money via PayPal. But all the same, it would be a bit of help towards the cost.

User avatar
Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:27 pm


You are all so kind for offering to help. I'll have to see how much it will be and take if from there.

But, in the meantime, my daughter has told me that I must go and get this pig and get him stitched up. In fact, she's willing to give up her pocket money for 6 months so we can help him/her!

I have one problem. My vet (and I would rather not to to any other) is only in the office on Monday and Tuesday. The shelter is closed on Monday. I have to work on Tuesday morning and I can't get to the shelter in time to get the pig and have my vet do the necessary surgery. Is there anybody who would be able to go and get the pig and bring it up to me in Chatsworth? I probably need to have him around 12:00, since this is when my vet usually does his surgeries.

User avatar
Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:49 pm


I hope things work out for this guinea pig. If you're able to get her and have it removed, let me know what your vet thinks it is.

Corrine
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:00 am


Damn, I wish I were closer to L.A. Just out of curiosity, what shelter is this poor pig at?

Post Reply
551 posts