How bad is this?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:35 pm

I tried 5ccs of CC and Odwalla along with his simethicone. Nothing.

I called the vet and asked them to reamine this morning's xrays to see if there was a small bockage. I'm waiting for them to call me back.

Juliemarie

Post   » Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:44 pm

Is his tummy hard? have you tried gently rubbing it. Is he drinking.
Oh, I am so sorry for what you are both going through.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:17 pm

No, it doesn't seem particularly hard. I can't tell if he's had water since we got back - but I think he has. I should have refilled the bottle when we got back, but I didn't think to.

I sat with him for a bit on my lap on a heating pad and also tried gently rubbing his belly. Nada. I gave him another 5ccs of CC and Odwalla, and I've just put a romaine leaf in with him.

klynne

Post   » Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:59 pm

Mum, if you didn't already have your PhD in pig nursing, you will earn it over Spot!

One thing--be careful on your Simethicone. Not because of the Simethicone itself, which is generally considered safe, but because many of the formulations are sweetened with the so-called "sugar alcohols," i.e. Maltitol, Sorbitol, etc.

Sugar alcohols are not well-regulated or warning-labeled in this country--Australia and others do a better job of it, but these artificial sweeteners are known to cause INCREASED gas, specifically a kind known as Borborygmi. They also have a laxative effect. So, diarrhea and rumbling gas--just what we don't want and were medicating to get rid of in the first place.

But, since Spot isn't pooping--it might be because of huge gas bubbles as a result of the sugar alcohol. Check that package for the inactive ingredients!

I don't know how well the Simethicone gets to the intestines in pigs. In bunnies, because of their extremely acid stomach environment, it is thought the Simethicone may not even be taken into the intestines well.

There are a very few brands of Simethicone suspensions which don't contain the Maltitol, Sorbitol or others--if you need me to, I can post to my bunny lists and get some recommendations for in your area. I can't find any in my area and use homeopathic remedies and Chamomile instead.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:25 pm

The only sweetener, right at the bottom of the list, is sodium saccharin (I assume that's the sweetener).

But he had gas before that, as shown on the x-ray this morning, so that couldn't have been the original cause!

The vet says he can see no blockage on the xray, and that he would suspect Spot to be looking much more poorly if he had one. His thought it that - with no blockage - what goes in must come out, so I should wait until tomorrow.

It makes me uncomfortable because I've never seen a guinea pig not poop for this long - now over 6 hours. But even if he had a blockage, neither the vet nor I think he would survive the surgery. I'm going out this evening, but I'll give him another small amount of critical care before I go and again when I come back.

Unless anyone has any other opinions?

Amy0204
We miss our sweet Oreo

Post   » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:27 pm

Can you force fluids? I would think they'd also be essential to get everything moving properly.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:29 pm

Sure, and I could have my friend do another subcue later, if necessary?

I hate to put him through that unless it's a must, but I will if this is what he needs.

Nurgle
...what, what, what?

Post   » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:32 pm

I would, if you can, give him a sub-Q for some fluids, some down his throat, and then start feeding him a lot. 10-15 cc of CC at a sitting, every four hours. If he has emptied out his intestinal tract from not eating, or eating little, there is a lot of stuffing you need to do before it starts popping out the other end!

If he is slightly dehydrated, things might be sticky going down. If he isn't, no harm no foul from the sub-Q. I'd go for around 15 cc's of fluid in the sub-Q.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:15 pm

Nurgle, you solved the problem with the 'feeding him a lot' idea.

I got 15cc of CC into him and it all started happening - right on my lap! Nice, long strings of sticky poop :-)

I was all prepared to have my friend give him a subcue later tonight, but I think just the thought of it got Spot moving - as always!

I've got to say, being interested in or aware of pooping habits has not in the past been my thing. Whoever thought being pooped all over would be such cause for joy!

Corrine
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:42 pm

YES!! Hooray for poop!

whittibo

Post   » Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:48 pm

Gosh, what a roller coaster ride this is. :(

I don't know how you keep your sanity! I certainly would be a basket case.

I am so glad he's pooping!! Could it have been he was eating them before??

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:51 am

I certainly would be a basket case.
But I am a basket case - and have been so for the past two weeks :-)

I have apparently totally lost my mind!