How bad is this?

rachelm

Post   » Mon Dec 26, 2005 11:59 am

This has been such a rollercoaster thread to follow, and totally heartwarming. Mum, your patience, determination and humanity humbles me. God bless you!

klynne

Post   » Mon Dec 26, 2005 1:41 pm

Yeah Spot!

So glad you got your Christmas wish, Mum.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:25 pm

Last night Spot had his last dose of antibiotics, and today his quarantine is officialy ended after 3 long weeks! However, he doesn't get to go and play with the girls yet, because he needs another week for his neuter surgery to be effective. Also, I have a sneaking suspicion that a 4-week quarantine is called for in his case.

On Thursday I'm driving up to Oakland for a few days with my daughter, so Spot will get to go on his first road trip! I'm not quite sure how I'm going to keep him both dry and hydrated on a 7-hour roadtrip (2 hour driving stints and 2 stops works well for us). I'm thinking of putting him in a laundry basket with hay and veggies, but he needs a lot of water because he's on Lasix - and he usually consumes most of a 16-ounce water bottle in a 24-hour period (and pees it out).

Any great ideas for the traveling pig, and thoughts on what I should take for emergencies, besides his regular heart meds?

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:38 pm

Mum, you really need to learn how to do subQ's if he's on lasix. I really can't stress that enough. If he's on lasix longterm, I say subQ's are mandatory. If you're already doing them and I missed it, sorry.

Amy0204
We miss our sweet Oreo

Post   » Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:41 pm

I would take a lot of towels! Those disposable puppy pads might also be helpful to absorb the pee and you can change them easily at the road stops. Also, would water in a syringe make it a little easier/neater to handle? I suppose other emergency items might include an AB and simethicone, as well as some CC with something for administering it. And possibly, the name of a vet up there should you need it. I'd be curious to hear what others say. How long will you be gone?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:45 pm

I'd suggest mellons but they aren't in season. Does he have something favorite he drinks? Maybe syringing him liquids during stops along with wet vegs?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:49 pm

Hey, this is Southern California - melons are always in season :-) I'm only going from Thursday returning Sunday, so just a few days.

Holly, he hasn't had subcues since he started drinking on his own (a LOT of drinking), and I had a friend (who's a nurse) do them when he was so sick, because it required two people since he wouldn't stay still. As he's drinking so much, why would I need to do them?

Towels, syringes, and puppy pads on my list - great ideas. Oh, and melon!

I need the name of a good vet in or near Oakland, just in case - I know there are some up there!

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:11 pm

Well crap. I just called my housesitter to confirm arrangements for when I go away, and she's flaked out. So I guess Spot won't get his road trip after all.

I guess I'll just send my daughter on up with her father, and I'll celebrate New Year's Eve here with the piggies and the dogs - and GL :-)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:18 pm

Hey, I'll be here! Not doing much of anything, but here just the same!

I imagine you all didn't know about the chip I got implanted for Christmas. Combine that with Blue Tooth technology and I can walk around and commune with ya'll any old time!

Julian
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:43 pm

In case you end up going, the only vet that I know in Oakland is Dr Harvey at Oakland VCA. The HRS uses her quite a bit but I've heard she is so/so with pigs. She's big in the bunny world and publishes quite a few bunny papers.

I can give you good recommendations about 20 minutes from Oakland. I can give you names in Castro Valley, Lafayette, Concord and Walnut Creek.

Becky is close to Oakland (Alameda) and I am not all that far. I am sure one of us could help you with transportation if needed.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:26 pm

Thanks for the names. I don't think I'll be going, but if I do I'll take these names with me.

Amy0204
We miss our sweet Oreo

Post   » Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:41 pm

Sorry your trip has gotten all messed up. I firmly believe things happen for a reason. But it's still has to be disappointing.