How bad is this?

-JC-
I gave AGAIN, dammit!

Post   » Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:30 pm

Yay! Hope he continues to improve. You're doing such great things for him.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:26 pm

Santa uses Doxy on the reindeer.

Sorry, couldn't resist. :-P

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:30 pm

ha ha :-)

Wonder if he has to check their butts too!

whittibo

Post   » Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:31 pm

That is EXCITING news! Sounds like he's going for total recovery. I think he figured out you wouldn't let him just "go", so he might as well hang in there and recuperate.

I just want to point out one thing here, you saved Spots life BIG TIME. Not only was he pretty much "unadoptable" since he was sick, but the shelter wouldn't have known or done anything for him. You saved his live there when you got him. You saved it many times over by hand feeding him and getting him proper care. I know you know he would have died, but really, you have pulled him from the grave several times in my opinion! Well done mum!!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:41 pm

I hope those pigs give her a giant pile of gold pellets on Christmas day.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:43 pm

Aw - you're making me cry :-) Thanks, Whittibo!

I've had to do things he clearly hated, things that hurt him, and things that caused him stress. But the rest of the time he's had a nice soft bed, love and hugs, and all the wheatgrass he wants. I think he figured out that it might be worth hanging around!
a giant pile of gold pellets
So I can make earrings out of them? :-0

whittibo

Post   » Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:46 pm

He's one dang lucky pig. Soon he will understand you did all those horrible things FOR him, and he'll thank you for it by wheeking at you constantly for more wheat grass. ;)

I hope he has many many many more years in his new wonderful home he found with you!! What a wonderful Christmas gift you have given him!!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:27 pm

Complete agreement here. Plus Whole Foods owes Mum a sales and promotion commission on the wheat grass I just ordered from them. :-)

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:42 pm

They most certainly do!!

Do you know, that Whole Foods can't give me their leftover veggies because they compost them and resell. It's all to do with that lawsuit over free veggies (someone's rabbit died)! Most annoying.

I bought wheat berries today so I can try growing my own :-)

Becky

Post   » Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:56 am

I'm sure Santa makes certain all the reindeer have a diet that is Ca:Ph balanced.

Make sure you poke holes in those poops before they harden so that they'll hang properly from your ears.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:25 am

Tomorrow it will be two weeks since Spot arrived, and he will be having his stitches out! I noticed on the side where he had the tumor removed he is indented, so I'm assuming this 'waistline' is the result of the piece of muscle that had to be removed along with the tumor.

I do have one question, although I suppose it will be answered on the xray tomorrow: yesterday his breathing seemed clear, but this morning it was back, and tonight it's gone again. Is this the lasix doing it's magic and wearing off? Or does pneumonia do this? Is fluid in the lungs always pneumonia? I realized I don't really know what pneumonia is, except that it involves fluid in the lungs!

Stay tuned for tomorrows pictures of the stitchless Spot!

Juliemarie

Post   » Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:01 am

Good luck, you have done so much.
How didthe vet know his age? How can you tel how old a piggie is?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:41 am

I don't know the answer to your question but I thought heart problems increased susceptibility to respiratory problems. I would guess the fluids in the lungs are primarilly a respiratory problem but could be wrong. See what your vet has to say.

Go Spot!

pinta

Post   » Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:40 am

If he has fluid in the lungs from a bad heart, his lungs will start to rattle as the Lasix wears off. Sometimes you can get away with a once a day dose, or as needed. Some pigs need Lasix twice a day to keep the fluids out.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:33 pm

Spot has had his stitches out and looks wonderful.

I had the vet take another x-ray, and it was dramatically improved from last week - no fluid was seen in the lungs at all! We won't know yet whether this improvement is from the antibiotics or the lasix, as I'm going to keep him on the doxy for another week. Pinta, I'm thinking the lasix is playing a big part in this, because the rattle came back yesterday when I was about 2 hours late with his dose (which he gets every 12 hours).

I also discussed Fortekor again with the vet, and I'm going to switch Spot over to it in the new year. I want to continue with the enacard until then, because things are going well.

But, also seen on the x-ray - Spot's stomach is full of gas. I asked the vet for an rx of reglan, which I just gave him along with simethicone. Could this be caused by him swallowing air when I handfeed?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:43 pm

Perhaps. Supposedly heart pigs swallow more air too.

Corrine
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:59 pm

Sounds good Mum! You are simply wonderful for helping Spot with all this!!

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:19 pm

I'm thinking about the gas issue now!

I'd noticed recently that whenever I fed Spot it would seem to get the poop machine working - they would come out in soft clumps. Sometimes there would be no poops in his cage until I picked him up. I put some of it down to the baytril, which was clearly making them very soft and mushy. But now I'm wondering if this is gas related?

He's not pooped since I put him back in his cage about an hour ago, and he needs to be fed his CC, even tough he ate a small amount of wheatgrass and some pellets. Should I not handfeed him, because of the gas? Handfeeding has seemed to me to stimulate bowel activity, but I don't want to force cc down him if it will make him even more uncomfortable.

I gave him both simethicone and reglan about an hour ago.
How didthe vet know his age? How can you tel how old a piggie is?
The veg's best guesstimate from the x-rays which showed marked calficiation at the area where the ribs meet the spine.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:18 pm

Crap - or lack of actually. He hasn't pooped in 4 hours, since we got back from the vet's office.

I'll give him another dose of simethicone. I've held off handfeeding him, but he needs it. Any ideas?

Amy0204
We miss our sweet Oreo

Post   » Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:32 pm

If handfeeding stimulates him, maybe you should start off with a little and see how he does? Not enough to make him uncomfortable, but enough to kick his system into gear?

551 posts