How bad is this?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:35 pm

I tried 5ccs of CC and Odwalla along with his simethicone. Nothing.

I called the vet and asked them to reamine this morning's xrays to see if there was a small bockage. I'm waiting for them to call me back.

Juliemarie

Post   » Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:44 pm

Is his tummy hard? have you tried gently rubbing it. Is he drinking.
Oh, I am so sorry for what you are both going through.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:17 pm

No, it doesn't seem particularly hard. I can't tell if he's had water since we got back - but I think he has. I should have refilled the bottle when we got back, but I didn't think to.

I sat with him for a bit on my lap on a heating pad and also tried gently rubbing his belly. Nada. I gave him another 5ccs of CC and Odwalla, and I've just put a romaine leaf in with him.

klynne

Post   » Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:59 pm

Mum, if you didn't already have your PhD in pig nursing, you will earn it over Spot!

One thing--be careful on your Simethicone. Not because of the Simethicone itself, which is generally considered safe, but because many of the formulations are sweetened with the so-called "sugar alcohols," i.e. Maltitol, Sorbitol, etc.

Sugar alcohols are not well-regulated or warning-labeled in this country--Australia and others do a better job of it, but these artificial sweeteners are known to cause INCREASED gas, specifically a kind known as Borborygmi. They also have a laxative effect. So, diarrhea and rumbling gas--just what we don't want and were medicating to get rid of in the first place.

But, since Spot isn't pooping--it might be because of huge gas bubbles as a result of the sugar alcohol. Check that package for the inactive ingredients!

I don't know how well the Simethicone gets to the intestines in pigs. In bunnies, because of their extremely acid stomach environment, it is thought the Simethicone may not even be taken into the intestines well.

There are a very few brands of Simethicone suspensions which don't contain the Maltitol, Sorbitol or others--if you need me to, I can post to my bunny lists and get some recommendations for in your area. I can't find any in my area and use homeopathic remedies and Chamomile instead.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:25 pm

The only sweetener, right at the bottom of the list, is sodium saccharin (I assume that's the sweetener).

But he had gas before that, as shown on the x-ray this morning, so that couldn't have been the original cause!

The vet says he can see no blockage on the xray, and that he would suspect Spot to be looking much more poorly if he had one. His thought it that - with no blockage - what goes in must come out, so I should wait until tomorrow.

It makes me uncomfortable because I've never seen a guinea pig not poop for this long - now over 6 hours. But even if he had a blockage, neither the vet nor I think he would survive the surgery. I'm going out this evening, but I'll give him another small amount of critical care before I go and again when I come back.

Unless anyone has any other opinions?

Amy0204
We miss our sweet Oreo

Post   » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:27 pm

Can you force fluids? I would think they'd also be essential to get everything moving properly.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:29 pm

Sure, and I could have my friend do another subcue later, if necessary?

I hate to put him through that unless it's a must, but I will if this is what he needs.

Nurgle
...what, what, what?

Post   » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:32 pm

I would, if you can, give him a sub-Q for some fluids, some down his throat, and then start feeding him a lot. 10-15 cc of CC at a sitting, every four hours. If he has emptied out his intestinal tract from not eating, or eating little, there is a lot of stuffing you need to do before it starts popping out the other end!

If he is slightly dehydrated, things might be sticky going down. If he isn't, no harm no foul from the sub-Q. I'd go for around 15 cc's of fluid in the sub-Q.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:15 pm

Nurgle, you solved the problem with the 'feeding him a lot' idea.

I got 15cc of CC into him and it all started happening - right on my lap! Nice, long strings of sticky poop :-)

I was all prepared to have my friend give him a subcue later tonight, but I think just the thought of it got Spot moving - as always!

I've got to say, being interested in or aware of pooping habits has not in the past been my thing. Whoever thought being pooped all over would be such cause for joy!

Corrine
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:42 pm

YES!! Hooray for poop!

whittibo

Post   » Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:48 pm

Gosh, what a roller coaster ride this is. :(

I don't know how you keep your sanity! I certainly would be a basket case.

I am so glad he's pooping!! Could it have been he was eating them before??

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:51 am

I certainly would be a basket case.
But I am a basket case - and have been so for the past two weeks :-)

I have apparently totally lost my mind!

6_6_6

Post   » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:05 am

Hello mum,

"I've never seen a guinea pig not poop for this long - now over 6 hours."

Read below in my thread. Franky did not pee or poop for over 14 hours. Not a single drop of them. I very much think it was due to terramycin. I know the adverse reaction is diarhea but somehow he got constipated. Vet ruled out torsion, GI stasis, anal impection.

What helped him was washing his bottom with warm water and massaging his stomach.

6_6_6

Post   » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:09 am

His first picture was so heart-breaking. I read all 12 pages and my praises to you Mum and all the nice folks who helped. I hope he will pull through.

Love of cavies to this extent is simply amazing. Thank you all.

babybutterscotch

Post   » Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:18 am

Hi Mum,

What a strong little piggie you have. I read all twelve pages and wow you guys have been through alot in such a little time. I don't understand how people can care so little about there pets. He has found his True Guardian angel in you. Sending Spot lots of love.

Mandi & Butterscotch

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:53 am

Thank you 6 and babyb :-)

It amazes me that this little guy is such a fighter, and horrifies me that people can dump their pets in such a condition.

Tons of mushy poos this morning, so at least things are moving through. I'm wondering what's causing them, though - could it be from the baytril, which was last given several days ago?

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:57 am

I don't think so. Maybe cut back on the veggies and up the fiber?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:04 pm

He doesn't eat much as it is, and I do hate to deprive him of his morning wheatgrass!

He usually doesn't eat any of the veggies I put in in the evening, but will sometimes eat the morning ones.

I've been mixing the CC with Odwalla - maybe I need to go back to pedialite.

babybutterscotch

Post   » Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:07 pm

I don't think that it would be the Baytril. Butterscotch has been on Baytril for about 5 days now. The only thing that I have noticed with the baytril is that he doesn't want to eat as much. Maybe try hand feeding him more. I hand feed Butterscotch ground up pellets with the otawalla superfood, also while I am holding him I feed him timothy hay. I find that Butterscotch eats more when I am holding him. Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is anything that I can do to help out.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:17 pm

I think the wheatgrass could definitely cause mushy poops. It's hard to say exactly though since veggies aren't a big part of his diet right now anyway. If his poops weren't mushy on the pedialyte, I'd try that again. Maybe the odwalla is too rich for his system right now.

551 posts