How bad is this?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:02 am

Talishan, I'd love it, if you're not going to use it. Both Spot and Goldie (who need it) adore it and will just eat it out of the bowl!

Spot is doing his Spotty thing tonight, perfectly well, no rattling at all. I suppose he just had a larger accumulation of fluid than normal.

But I did decide I might look into setting up a nebulizer, just in case. I really wished I had one in the middle of the night!

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:05 am

You are such a good Mum and I think if it wasn't for you Spot would not be here with us now. My sweet little Spttie.

rachelm

Post   » Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:55 am

Ditto dgarriques. He wouldn't be here. I think he's found a special place in all our hearts.

pinta

Post   » Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:26 am

Look into buying a portable oxygen tank. The oxygen doesn't go bad and can sit indefinitely when you aren't using it. We have two cannister so we can completely use one up before getting it refilled. It's about $25 up here to refill but a pain to get to the refill place. We just trade in one tank for another so if it's only 3/4 empty, it's a waste.

Oxygen is really helpful to heart pigs.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:25 pm

Thanks Pinta. That was my thought too. My vet said they can be rented for $10/month, so I'll check out various options.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:58 pm

Mum, email me your shipping address through the mailer. It has been stored in a cool, dry place so it should be fine, but don't hesitate to chunk it if it seems not right when you get it. I'm not comfortable with stuff that doesn't have a mill date or best-by date on it, but this is a brand-new product for them.

I also bought a bottle of their Vitamin C tablets and they are not popular either. Want those too?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:00 pm

Oh, thanks - would love those too!

I'll email you.

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:07 pm

Mum, you are truly one amazing piggy mum.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:08 pm

Got your email. I'm just glad you can use it and Spot likes it.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:11 am

Just to close Spot't medical thread:

About a week ago Spot started to not look generally well. His eyes were cloudy, but he was still eating and drinking, and running up to the hayloft. He was maintaining his weight.

A couple of times when I picked him up to medicate he made a faint crying sound, but he took his meds and hopped right back to be with his girls.

He died peacefully waiting for his veggies, at the side of the cage. It looks as if he just laid down and went to sleep. When I picked him up, his heart was still beating, but he wasn't breathing. After about a half hour his heart stopped beating.

He was a very old pig - at least 6, and probably much more than that. But he was a fighter, and I'm thankful he was able to go peacefully on his own terms.

Fweeprluvr

Post   » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:40 am

Oh god, I'm so sorry Mum. At least, like you said, it sure sounds like it was peaceful. After the crappy life he had until you got him and all he went through, he certainly deserved an easy passing. I know it isn't easy for you, but you must know that you gave him the best life anyone could with his ladies and all that great hay and veggies, which I'm guessing he never got before you had him.

I'm glad I got to meet him and feed him a strawberry. He will be remembered by us all.

551 posts