*URGENT* Passing blood...squeaking

Becky

Post   » Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:21 pm

My suspicion had been that it was more related to pooing than urination, too, since I notice it happens during poos more often.

This is just speculation on my part since I'm not that familiar with their anatomy, but I think the colon and bladder are so close together that passing poos past an inflammed bladder might cause more pain than just passing urine.

Chippy loses weight everytime she has one of these episodes. A day or so on Metacam and her weight goes right back up.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:07 pm

Can I ask for some dosing question -- the vet dosed the Metacam at .8cc once a day. Zachary's weight is approximately 2 lbs. 12 ounces. In looking at the dosing info on analgesics, .8cc looks a little high. Shouldn't it be closer to .5cc based on his weight?

Becky

Post   » Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:38 pm

I give Chippy Metacm Suspension 1.5 mg/ml at a dose of 0.2 mls twice a day as needed. She's approximately 1000 grams, so hers would be less, but 0.8 does sound high.

I'll let those more comfortable with the conversions address this, though. I'm pretty stoopid when it comes to anything involving a decimal point.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:00 pm

Becky, you and me both.

Well, I'm confused now. You mention the suspension at 1.5mg/ml. On the label of Metacam that the vet gave me, it shows the concentration as 10ml.

Zachary weighs 1.3 kg. Do I multiply that times the .2 mg/kg that is shows on the dosage chart for Metacam here? That would be .26.

Where does the concentration figure into it?

Ugh; I feel so stupid.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:17 pm

I think there are (two?) different concentrations of Metacam. One, like I have, comes in a purple and white bottle and is 1.5MG per ML. At that concentration, I give 0.15ml once a day.

You need to know exactly what concentration you have. You say 10ml - but 10ml per what?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:19 pm

No. The concentration is not 10ml; A concentration would be in mg per ml or mg/ml. What you have is a quantity. Like a tablespoon. He gave you a couple teaspoons of this stuff.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:52 pm

Great; so I have no way of knowing if that is the correct dosage or not. And I never give meds without double-checking the dosage.

The label just says "Metacam 10ML Quantity 0.5 Give .8cc orally once daily for pain and inflammation."

Is there a concentration of Metacam that would make .8cc the right dose for a pig that weighs 1.3kg?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:06 pm

Okay, I have been online looking for Metacam oral suspensions. Unless there is another type of Metacam that I'm missing, I only see it in the 1.5mg/ml concentration.

If I take Zachary's weight of 1.3kg and multiply times the recommendation on GL of .2mg/kg, I get .26. If I divide that by the assumed concentration of 1.5mg/ml, I get .17cc.

I also found a veterinary website that says Metacam is generally dosed at a rate of .1mg per lb. of body weight. Even if I bump Zachary's weight up to and even 3 lbs, that STILL only gives me a dosage of .3 -- and I assume that is based on dog weight.

I really, really need someone to help me with this, because if Metacam only comes in the 1.5mg/ml concentration and this vet has prescribed it at .8cc for a 1.3 kg pig, then it means I need to find myself a new vet - pronto!

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:43 pm

I never give more than 0.3, and then only very rarely, if necessary. You might do a search on this board - I have an idea someone once talked about another suspension? Did you not get the original bottle? If in doubt, I would dose at the lower dosage.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:16 pm

I hate to be such a pest here, but I want to know if this vet has screwed up.

I've searched this board and multiple veterinary sites, and the only concentration on the oral suspension I can find is the 1.5mg/ml. The injectible comes in different concentrations, but I just can't find anything else for the oral. And I know this is the oral stuff, because it is honey-flavored (according to the vet).

If I'm interpreting everything correctly, then it sure looks like she has seriously over-dosed it. She didn't give me the original bottle...the Metacam is in a small plastic vial with supposedly a week's worth in it.

I'm really troubled by this.

pinta

Post   » Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:41 pm

I hear rumours that at the VIN site vets have discussed giving 6 drops in a dose. Seems to be a wide swing. If you search you might find the equivalent of a drop. For now just give what you're comfortable with until you can get confirmation from your vet.

Becky

Post   » Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:02 pm

If I were you, I'd not go higher than 0.3ml. Much safer to underdose than overdose, in my opinion.

I suspect the suspension is the same all over. Stick to the safer dose and hash it out later.

If she's already received a larger dose and is doing OK, I wouldn't worry too much. Just don't do any more doses at that level.