*URGENT* Passing blood...squeaking

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:22 pm

More good thoughts for Zachary. I'm glad the subcue went well!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:49 pm

Thanks, tracis. I'm down to only a few of the 25-gauge winged sets, so I called the vet and they said they had 1 left. That should give me enough to get through the holidays.

Pax, I'm so sorry about Kirby. It's interesting that you mention massage...my husband was attempting to handfeed Zachary tonight, and somehow managed to get Zach on his back and in the most awkward position. I was just about to fuss at him for stretching Zachary in all directions, when we noticed that he was urinating and not hunching or crying very much at all! I don't know if it was a coicidence, but I was wondering if maybe the stretching and manuevering somehow helped. ?

Just a little while ago, though, he was back to hunching and crying. :(

He's getting approximately .05 cc's of Metacam; based on his weight (just over 1 kilo), he should only be getting .03, but the lower dose didn't seem to be doing much.

How much is Kirby getting?

The other thing worrying me, is his poops. He has been on Bactrim just over a week, and his poops are now tiny and mis-shaped. He's also losing his appetite. I'm going to drop the Bactrim, I think, in the hopes that it gets his gut back to semi-normal (it was small poops and gas that started this whole thing...still not sure how that fits with having stones).

pax
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:42 am

Kirbs gets .15 2x's a day. Doesn't seem to do much good. We need piggie percocet.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:06 pm

Somewhere on Gilbert and Sully's thread I'm sure that KState said the pigs could have a whole cc of Metacam. There was some discussion about it, but I know at least one of these pigs had a dose at least close to this.

In a situation so drastic I believe I'd be inclined to discuss this dose with my vet.

I ordered my butterfly sets from www.goldenhourmed.com (I think). You don't need a prescription for these.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:34 pm

According to TWP, Gilbert was receiving a dose of 1.3 ml of Metacam.

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... 238#964238

If you scroll down a little bit, you can read what her KState vet said.

somechick

Post   » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:34 pm

Just checking in on Zachary today. Seeing how the little guy is doing.

gpgrandma
Supporter in '07

Post   » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:37 pm

I sure hope that he is doing much better today. Unfortunately we aren't getting anywhere with our sick piggy.

Sending good thoughts out to all the little furries that don't feel well. Please get better so the holidays can be happy!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:55 pm

He's about the same today. His poops were very tiny and loose this morning so I give him some poop soup (compliments of Henry), Bene-bac and a small dose of Bio-Sponge. My vet called me back and said to stop the Bactrim and that I could increase the Metcam to .04cc. I still don't think that's going to do much, unless I give it twice a day. I'm really inclined to do that (she left me a message; I wasn't able to speak with her directly).

Somechick -- what is the name of that muscle relaxant you mentioned that your vet gave you for Nug? It's on my email at work, and I wanted to ask folks here what they think of me asking Dr. M about either an anti-spasmodic or a muscle relaxant (not sure how they differ-?). Noticed that when he was on the sofa with me earlier, and I was giving a deep massage on his sides, he urinated without any crying or hunching. Put him back in a cage a little while later, and he is hunching and crying again. I can tell that when he does that, his sides are really, really taut. He is really tensing up those muscles to eliminate.

Any thoughts on this type of drug? What would a muscle relaxant/ anti-spasmodic to do motility?

Another good subcue today, thank goodness. He is really fighting the Critical Care like crazy, which doesn't make sense to me. Just a few days ago, he couldn't seem to get enough. What has changed?

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:55 pm

Yes, there was a great deal of discussion on this thread about Metacam doses. Here's the thread on Doses where our internist at K-State explained the dose. I would definitely discuss it with a vet first. The other thing is that we noticed Metacam can upset the GI system, and Henry, for example, might produce small and unhappy poop BECAUSE of the Metacam (even at the standard .15 mL dose). Gilbert, on the other hand, really benefited from the higher dose of Metacam, and the necropsy showed no ill effects on his kidneys.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:00 pm

You can mix NSAID's (Metacam, Rimadyl) with opiates (Torb, buprenex). You can't mix NSAID's and steroids (Dex, Pred).

In extreme cases we've mixed Metacam and Torb with no problem, if done carefully and at the minimum doses of both to be effective.

Note the emphasis on effective. IMO his Metacam needs to be 10X what you're giving him. MO only.

somechick

Post   » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:16 pm

The medicine I have here for Nug, that I never had to use so I don't have any ideas of how well it works or reacts with these guys, is called Prazosin. My vet said it's used in cats for urethral spasms. We thought to give it to Henry if nothing else helped with the crying while peeing. Maybe to relax her girl parts. And of course the dose was much smaller.

It was a "well, let's see if this does *anything*" state we were in. It's not something she normally prescribes for pigs or anything. But then again, Henry wasn't your average case either.

Amy0204
We miss our sweet Oreo

Post   » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:18 pm

Oreo was taking Metacam and Torb at the same time, and it was ok.

I do agree about the metacam dosage being too low. Bilbo is on .24 ccs and Oreo was on .20 cc, once a day. I think there's something to be said for the larger dosage as opposed to a weaker one, based on what I've observed here.