I have not found any additional blood on his bedding, but this afternoon while I was holding him, he squeaked a little while defecating. Appetite and water consumption are normal; no weight loss. Good activity level. I'm concerned about the squeaking.
What should the next step be? I can either take him to our local vet for another urine test, or take him back to the exotics vet an hour from here if more extensive tests seem in order. The exotics vet did xrays and found nothing to indicate stones, but was a little concerned about the presence of red cells in the urine but no white.
She also didn't like the looks of the "air pockets" in his stomach/cecum, and said to monitor feces output closely. His feces have been okay. Not sure what her thinking was.
Would a second set of xrays be in order now, or another urine test, or what? She did two views the first time around and found nothing, nor anything in the urine to make her suspicious.
I'm at a loss as to why he's still squeaking. Doesn't seem to be upon urination.
I'm weighing every few days, and so far he is maintaining his weight...eating all pellets normally, devouring hay, and gobbling up veggies as usual.
No, but this is a relatively young boar -- will turn 2 in February. And we've had him since he was a baby, with no trauma or injury since he's been with us. Not to say he couldn't have been injured as a newborn, I guess. But the fact that he was passing blood 3 weeks ago makes me think this is all somehow inter-related.
I'm not seeing blood on the bedding now (towels and fleece), but had planned to take a sample in to our local vet for testing.
After squeaking yesterday, and after noticing that his poos are smaller, I'm wondering if the problem is still there.
Doesn't seem to be dehydration, as his water intake is normal, and skin snaps back nicely into place...no signs of eye crust, no lethargy, or other symptoms that might indicate dehydration. I'm going to go ahead and "up" fluids again, anyway.
Argh; this internal stuff is so frustrating, because you can't see what the heck's going on!
He has been off the Bactrim since Saturday.
Since nothing showed up on the first set of xrays, what is the next step? More xrays? Another urinalysis?
- My home, ruled by pigs!
It ensures that the urine is sterile since it's taken directly from the bladder. It takes a few days to get results and it tells you what antibiotics the bacteria will respond to.
If there is no bacteria and no signs of infection perhaps you should just treat for pain.
It's all very odd. Started out as visible blood in urine and squeaking while defecating...now no visible blood and still squeaking. Nothing on the xrays.
Do you think another visit is in order now, or give it a few more days to see if it could still be some inflammation/irritation that will go away on its own?
She put Zachary on a motility drug and Metacam for pain. I'm frankly hesitant to use the Metacam...need to look it up, but does it do anything for inflammation?
He has actually lost 1-2 ounces since his last visit, which I also noticed on my scale at home -- though his appetite remains good. I thought maybe it was just my scale.
The vet said to use the motility and Metacam for a week, and return in 2 weeks for a follow-up. This is getting a little discouraging.
I wanted to ask -- she mentioned cutting back on pellets (he gets 2 tablespoons of Cavy Cuisine daily) and upping fiber intake. Her recommendation was to use canned pumpkin. I've never heard of doing this with a guinea pig. Should I do this? I have Critical Care on hand, which I would think is better. Just curious if anyone has tried pumpkin-?
Any additional thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks again.