*URGENT* Passing blood...squeaking

sef1268

Post   » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:45 am

No, I didn't see that thread. I searched for Tramadol a couple of times on GL, but only found a passing mention of it by, I think, Josephine about a year ago. Thank you!!!

I called our vet this morning; she is on-call today. We're on for 11:30 this morning to bring him in...I want another xray done, to see if the bladder stone is maybe moving into his urethera. He is extremely uncomfortable, listless this morning. Not interested in anything except a few bits of lettuce. :(

I feel sick. I'm afraid of what she's going to say when she sees him.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:36 am

Oh dear - I do hope he's ok.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:19 pm

Sending good thoughts to you both. I hope it goes well.

Topaz

Post   » Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:20 pm

Me too, Sef.

Amy0204
We miss our sweet Oreo

Post   » Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:37 pm

Thinking about you and wishing you and Zach all the best.

sef1268

Post   » Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:37 pm

It was definitely not what I hoped to hear. First, the stone in the bladder is gone -- he apparently passed it this past week. But the stones in his one ureter have gotten larger, and now the second ureter has multiple stones (it was just the one stone about a week ago). This really, really sucks.

Looking at the x-ray, Dr. Mehringer said that he seems to be passing small bits of stones out the urethra -- you can see it on the image. But she doesn't think he can pass any of the stones in either of the ureters because of their size. So......we're just left with trying to manage the pain as much as possible, and push fluids. She wants me to bump up the subcues to twice daily; 15cc's 2x for a total of 30.

He is still urinating normally. Blood sample wasn't enough to determine kidney function, and she said today that she really wouldn't put him through it again. It's pretty much moot at this point.

I know I asked about Metacam dosing, and it has been discussed a lot here. But I'd still appreciate more input on what the maximum high-end dose has been used in cases like this where the prognosis is so poor. I feel like the Tramadol (and the Torb that we tried previously) really wreck havoc on Zachary's gut. He doesn't need that discomfort on top of everything else.

Husband and I are both feeling like we just had a big kick in the gut. Of all our pigs, Zachary has just been such an incredible friend and companion to us both for the nearly 4 years that we have had him. We got him when he was a baby...there was something special about him right from the beginning. This is just such a huge blow.
Last edited by sef1268 on Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:41 pm

I'm sorry for such bad news.

You might email Josephine for more information on that KState metacam dosing of 1ml.

Amy0204
We miss our sweet Oreo

Post   » Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:42 pm

I'm so sorry about the news. Have you given up on using torb? It left Oreo spacey, but it seemed to help with her discomfort.

I checked our metacam dosages. Oreo was prescribed .2 cc once daily; Bilbo, slightly larger, was prescribed .24 cc, post operative for his radical mastectomy. Both were 1.5 mg/ml oral suspension. I don't know if this was the maximum, but in both cases, it was sufficient to get them feeling a lot better.

We're praying for you. We know the heartbreak of watching a beloved piggy deal with extreme illness.

sef1268

Post   » Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:53 pm

Thanks. I'm just numb. Husband cried the whole way back from the vet's. I knew it was bad, but didn't expect to hear that the other ureter was filling up with stones, too, especially when I have been pushing fluids, wet veggies, no pellets, giving subcues, handfeeding lots of Critical Care daily...Shilintong...just started Potassium Citrate. I thought maybe she would say that the bladder stone was moving around, making him sore, and that we should go ahead and have it taken out this week (which we were prepared to do).

God. Everything is just so damned futile, now.

Amy, thanks. I was thinking of going as high as .2cc's on the Metacam myself. Vet said she wouldn't exceed .1cc, but really...what can it hurt at this point.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:55 pm

0.2cc/kg is standard metacam dosage.

I have two pigs on 0.15ccs daily for arthritis. You can go up, I'm told, to 0.3ccs for a short time for immediate pain.

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:57 pm

Oh, Sef. I'm so sad for you and for Zachary. He's such a beautiful and lovely boy. We will be thinking of you and counting Zach in our prayers. I hope all goes well with the pain management.

sef1268

Post   » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:03 pm

Is there anything at all as a last-ditch effort, no matter how off-the-wall, that we can try in the slim hope of slowing down those uretal stones?

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:22 pm

I'm sorry that you received more heartbreaking news. Zachary is such a special guy, and I'm hoping for a miracle.

It is amazing that he passed the bladder stone. That one looked huge on the x-ray.

Brandilynn
Who's your Branni?

Post   » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:25 pm

I am hoping for your miracle too, but am sorry for the sad prognosis.

somechick

Post   » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:53 pm

I'm with Brandilynn. I hope for a miracle too. I wish there was anything I could say or do.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:24 pm

Sef, I wish I had magic words and healing for all three of you. Praying for a miracle here.

averyl

Post   » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:57 pm

Sef, I am so so sorry. I truly am. But please know that the worst fate a pig can have is to not be loved, and clearly he is very very loved. What a lucky pig he is to have such wonderful parents to keep him comfy as best they can and to have given him top of the line medical treatment.

pax
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:45 pm

Oh, poor little one. I am sending all my healing thoughts to him. You never know how they will rally. Here's hoping. All the fingers, toes and paws are crossed in this house!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:08 pm

We've gone up to 0.9 mg meloxicam daily for our dental pig (he weighed about a kilo). 0.45 mg (0.3 mL of the 1.5 mg/mL solution) twice daily for a few days; perhaps more (I don't recall completely clearly) a time or two.

For this relatively short period, no damage seemed to be done, with the caveat that when he did pass, we did not have a necropsy done. It sure did seem to help him feel better.

sef1268

Post   » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:41 pm

As fast as his body is making these stones, I just don't know how much longer he has. It's shocking to me. A month ago, we had a seemingly happy, healthy, bouncing Zachary. What did I do wrong??

Tonight he's still fairly enthusastic about veggies, but not hay. I hope to heck my Oxbow shipment gets here tomorrow. Maybe that'll interest him more than the Kaytee.

I think I'll give him another .2cc's before bedtime (of Metacam). I already gave him his subcue. I don't want to start second-guessing myself, but...I now wish I had stuck with daily subcues instead of going every other day for the past few days. It's just that he was drinking a lot on his own, and I was just so worried that his "bad" kidney might be over-taxed. If I had only known that he was making more stones at this rate...

Can't stop crying this evening. It's just so damned unfair.

790 posts