*URGENT* Passing blood...squeaking

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:03 pm

I asked her about that, Mum. She said she didn't feel we could get enough blood from a nail over-clip. Sounds like you have done it successfully-?

Zach's feet are getting red and irritated from the wet stools, and I've been using baby wipes but they really aren't helping with the irritation. He had a chlorhex foot soak last night and the night before, but I know it can be drying. Would rather not use PVP because of the staining (which I know I'll get all over the bathroom counter). Has anyone used Nolvasan for this type of thing? Vet gave me some for cleaning Zachary's ears when he was having ear issues...is it gentler than Hibiclens? I used it tonight, just to see. Doesn't look like she diluted it. Is it generally used full-strength?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:07 pm

Sounds like you have done it successfully-?
Many, many times!

We've even had enough for complete panels and a separate T4 count.

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:25 pm

Interesting! I will mention this to Dr. M when I speak w/ her about the LRS.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:11 am

After you clean the feet well (I would soak and dry thoroughly), I would try putting on some Desitin or Preparation H. The Desitin would block the damage from the wetness. Preparation H would sooth and protect.

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:38 am

Thanks Lynx, I'm using the generic equivalent of Desitin. For cleansing, do you know if there's much difference between Nolvasan and Chlorhex in terms of either effectiveness or being too drying?

Day 3 on the Flagyl. Still not seeing any improvement on the stools, but his appetite and energy level both seem to be better. He actually pulled his little mirror bell DOWN last night, which is something he hasn't felt like doing lately (that used to be his favorite little game -- knock down the bell, mom puts it back up; knock down the bell, mom puts it back up).

Fingers crossed!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:41 am

The chlorhex is definitely more drying. I soaked Nina's feet on and off for a year and when I realized this, started switching from one to another.

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:18 pm

Thanks again.

Had to share this. Around 11:00 a.m., my husband emailed me at work and said, "Are you coming home to give Zachary his subcue?" I usually go home around 10:00 or so, but had gotten bogged down at work and it had totally slipped my mind.

Seems that Zachary had started wheeking at the top of his lungs around 10:45, demanding his subcue treat! :O

Bugs Mom

Post   » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:52 pm

How both funny and encouraging Sef. Go Zack!

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:09 pm

That is really cute! It is so good to hear that Zachary is enjoying his special subcue treats!

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:18 pm

How cute, he knows his subcue yumyums are due! :)
Such a little trooper.

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:59 pm

Just a day later, he has crashed. Came home to find him badly dehydrated, lethargic and not eating. Why??? Husband went to pick him up and Zachary turned to run, and then fell over. He has done this once before, but that was a couple of weeks ago. His eyes are sunked and dry. I fed him and gave him his subcue, but he still didn't seem right.

Are we 100% SURE Desitin is safe to use?? I switched to it for his feet; it's the only thing different. Used it sparingly on front and back paws for the redness yesterday. Surely it wouldn't cause this bad a reaction-? I can't imagine that it would cause dehydration if a little of it were ingested (and I don't see how he would have, as he really isn't grooming himself too much these days).

Called our vet around 9:30pm when he still didn't seem to perk up after feeding and fluids. She said to go ahead and give him 10 additional cc's of LRS, skip the p.m. Flagyl, give him B12 and Metacam. She also said we might want to go ahead and alternative Saline and LRS now, so I'll pick that up tomorrow.

Damn. So, these dramatic up's and down's are normal with renal issues? Dr. M said he might be just fine tomorrow...said it's to be expected with this type of issue. :(

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:15 pm

I think his reaction is part of what you expect with his problems.

Desitin is definitely not to blame here.

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:17 pm

Thanks, Mum. I'm always looking to blame myself for every bad thing that happens with these guys. Just the way I was raised.

Hoping tomorrow is a better day for my little man.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:26 pm

I'm with Mum on this.

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:32 pm

I'm just surprised by the dramatic change a day makes. :( He was doing so well yesterday, and the day before.

Amy0204
We miss our sweet Oreo

Post   » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:00 pm

Unfortunately, I think that's the nature of these things. The pig will rally, only to have overtaxed itself in days to come. Our lives were a roller coaster, based on how well Oreo was doing.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:41 pm

Poor Zach.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:55 pm

Sending hugs for Zachary, and wishing for another better day.

pax
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:07 pm

Oh sorry to hear the little guy is having a bad day. It is very up and down with them. I hope he rallies tomorrow. Poor sweetie. Give him kisses for us. Kirby sends him best wishes and some chin scritches!

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:08 pm

Thanks. I sent Josephine email...want to get a better understanding about LRS vs. Saline, because I'm starting to suspect that part of his problem may be too much potassium. I was reading about hyperkalemia today, and it seems that muscle weakness, appetite loss AND diarrhea can result from it. Causes include kidney disease and kidney failure, obstructive urinary issues (!), and...this blew me away...NSAID's (like Metacam). And food-wise, tomatoes are very high in potassium -- that's the treat he gets every time he has a subcue.

All of this, plus the fact that he has been on LRS for 3 months now, has me seriously wondering if there is a connection here.

Started Zachary on Saline today, so we'll see how it goes this weekend.

Right now, he's giving me the stink-eye because it's feeding time. :)

790 posts