Histamine Attack & Stress

Sunigirl

Post   » Fri Nov 29, 2002 7:52 pm

Starting to heal over the loss of my "sunny" last week but still miss her terribly. Her cage mate "rocki" still seems to be mourning so I'm still hand feeding her - she is starting to eat her hay on her own but no pellets. She saw the vet the other day to be sure she's okay.

I told the vet what happened to Sunny before she died and he said it sounded like she had a histamine attach brought on by excessive stress.

(She had been sick in September with high fever and ketones in her urine and seemed to recover - Started sneezing and runny nose in early Nov - began URI treatment but died within a week)

She had not looked good that night, so I held her alot hoping to give her comfort . Did I do more harm than good? I looked in all the books I had and couldn't find anything on histimine attacks. The vet said the best thing would be to leave her alone, sometimes they can recover. compared it to an asthma attach for a human.

Does anyone have any futher info on this?

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Nov 29, 2002 7:56 pm

I've never heard of it. Maybe someone else can comment. I always hold my sick piggies.

that is interesting. I'm hoping someone else has some input also.

melcvt00

Post   » Fri Nov 29, 2002 9:54 pm

Histamine attack? That's odd....I thought allergies were caused by histamines....hence antihistamines to treat symptoms.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Nov 29, 2002 10:38 pm

I would watch your remaining pig closely (I think you are already doing this). There is always the possibility this was a bacterial infection and that your remaining pig is also sick. I am somewhat suspicious of the diagnosis.

They can be depressed from the loss of a cage mate but similar behavior can be an indicator of illness.

If you see any other symptoms, get her to the vet soon, most likely for a round of cavy safe antibiotics.

I am sorry you lost one of your loved pigs.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Fri Nov 29, 2002 10:40 pm

Histamine attack is odd, but it can happen in sudden immune responses. The ketones in the urine concern me, though. Were any other tests done to rule out diabetes? Ketones in the urine can signal diabetes. I have never heard of a vet dx "histamine" problems in cavies, other than in allergic reactions. I would have done some more tests to figure it out.

Hmmm.... Stress does happen in all times of sickness. How did the vet come to that conclusion? Puzzling....

Sunigirl

Post   » Sat Nov 30, 2002 8:05 am

In response to all you who commented

The Vet said he has pigs that come in that their charts are marked subject to histamine attacks, just their exams can trigger the attack because they get so stressed.

In summary, I was trying to feed her and she began to thrash around - she never did that before when I tried to feed her - then her whole body went limp like carrying a sleeping child.

I explained that to the vet asking if she may have broke her neck or something - he said no and explained like a rabbit their bodies give off excessive histamines which affects their ability to take in air - mostly resulting in suffocation.

Having oxygen and something else - I don't remeber what he said - could help revive them. Sometimes just leaving them be, if the attack wasn't too severe, they may recover.

I also told him about the "gagging and clear spit up" that Sunny did when I tried feeding her one day, but that had him puzzeled. (His office was super busy that night and I guess I didn't want to ask anymore questions, just wanted Rocki to get examined.)

Since Sunny was being treated for the URI, I told him one morning her eye "tearing" was very white looking. He said another indication of severe stress. He suspects she may have developed pneumonia.

The Vet did run a series of urine and blood tests in September and from my recall is that diabeties was ruled out.

Rocki is currently on a round of antibiotics as when she was checked Vet said she had a very low grade temp, so just to be sure the vet has her on Baytril. She is also on Metoclopramide to get her gut moving.

The vet also gave injections of Banamine, Baytril, Reglan, and SQ fluid therapy at the exam.

Last night she began eating alot more hay on her own and she even squeaked alittle when she heard the refrig door open.

I'll continue with the critical care as long as needed and hope she comes arounds

thanks for all your support and comments

piggielover

Post   » Sat Nov 30, 2002 12:16 pm

Good luck Sunigirl~ You are a wonderful mom to your piggie! She is lucky to have you :-)

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sat Nov 30, 2002 11:19 pm

Sunigirl: Just curious, are you from somewhere other than the US?

Sunigirl

Post   » Tue Dec 03, 2002 7:10 am

We are from New Jersey. I am now dealing with my daughters pig being sick. Her name is Rocki. I'll be calling the vet again today. Since Sunny died, she hasn't been eating on her own.

Brought her in for a check up and the vet said she had a very low grade fever. He put her on Baytril . I can't figure it out. a few days ago she seemed like she was beginning to come around.

She began to eat her hay but still no pellets. Still feeding her Critical care but this AM she seems to be very, very weak and would hardly chew. Last night was the first time she didn't seem to have any energy.

Also her eyes were very slightly crusty, hardly even noticable.

I just hope I can get her through this she was alway the bigger pig. Loved to always eat, and now she hasn't had any interest since losing Sunny.

Cara

Post   » Tue Dec 03, 2002 8:24 am

I noticed this with Zipper (heart disease) and Squeaky (bladder stone surgery) that when they weren't feeling well, their eyes crusted up. My vet said that when pigs aren't feeling well they eyes do that, it doesn't necessarily mean URI if there is something else going on that is making them not feel well. I hope you can figure out what is wrong with her soon. Good luck.

Gypsy Jazmine

Post   » Tue Dec 03, 2002 9:49 am

Suni, It sounds like you are a wonderful piggy mom & you are doing everything in your power to help Rocki...This is what everyone told me when Applesauce was sick...Has the vet checked her teeth?...Even if it wasn't the initial problem after being sick for awhile & not eating it can become a problem as her teeth will overgrow & she will not be able to eat & it will only get worse...I still feel in my heart or hearts this is what happened to my Applesauce but by the time I could get them to do x-rays on her (They said they checked her teeth without putting her under or doing x-rays.) it was too late for her & I wasn't willing to put her though anymore...She was just too far gone...I wish I had followed my gut instinct & demanded they do the x-rays...Maybe they already have checked her teeth but remember if she is not eating well & wearing them down it can become a problem on top of the initial problem...Good luck to you & again, I am thinking of you all!

Sunigirl

Post   » Tue Dec 03, 2002 3:34 pm

Rocki not doing well at all. Have appt tomorrow at 10 am when vet opens. they couldn't get me in today as they had short hours, only open from 10-12:30 today.

they told me continue with meds, critical care and a precise dose of motrin. (She felt really warm last night-gave her what Sunny's dose was - Sunny was 1/2 lb lighter so I felt it was ok.- seemed to help) Just tried to feed her and she is so listless, she won't even chew.

I have to leave for work again so I'll try feeding her again when I get home in about 2 hours. She only took one full syringe this AM so I know she has to have more to eat. It's even a struggle to get the meds in her. she doesn't want to swallow.

I put her back in here cage in fear that she'll have the same kind of attach that Sunny had so I'll leave her be for awhile. hope she'll make it to the vet tomorrow.

Today is the coldest it's been - what's the best way to keep them warm when taking them out of the house to get to vet. Usually my daughter carrys her "go box" wrapped in a blanket. Any suggestions ?