Sundae

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:57 pm

Sundae came in from the shelter yesterday:

He was only there one day, luckily. The people who turned him in said that their 'cousin' didn't want him anymore. Apparently they had cut out the matts before he was delivered. The paperwork says he's 1 year old, but (as I mentioned in Chat, his testicles aren't obvious).

Here is a picture of his water bottle:

I hate to think what germs he's been ingesting.

The other issue is this:

It looks as if that area is a slight blister. I'm thinking they either washed him in something inappropriate or dipped him in something. It doesn't seem to hurt him.

He's an adorable little boy, but he's scared to death. He's calm when I get him picked up and snuggled close, and he looks healthy apart from the bare spot. I'll treat him with ivermectin, but I'm wondering if I should bath him to get rid of whatever might have caused that blister?

Amy0204
We miss our sweet Oreo

Post   » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:04 pm

He's so cute...and I love the name. Knowing how well you do with your pigs, Mum...he's going to do just fine!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:04 pm

Hard to see a blister in the photo. Guess I'd just start feeding him right and do the ivermectin. If you wanted to try a Nizoral shampoo since there are no open sores, that might make him feel a little better.

He looks pretty thin.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:06 pm

Oh, he is cute. I love the face. I'm envious.

I need a fluffy boar again.

Is he eating okay yet?

Tarapay
Sorc^istino

Post   » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:11 pm

What an adorable little fuzzbutt - even with the bad haircut! That water bottle is really nasty, poor kid. I have no idea about that spot, but if it doesn't hurt him I'd probably just wait and see what happens to it. Maybe give him a bath just to make sure there's nothing on his skin? Hopefully, since it doesn't hurt, it will just start growing hair and be ok.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:11 pm

He loves wheatgrass :-) And, yes, he is thin. But not for long in this house! He's not eating much, but - again - he's really scared. But he'd eaten his veggies by this morning, so I think he's ok.

I'm iffy about shampooing him because he's already so scared. I think I'll put him on some carefresh and wait a couple of days.

slfalzone

Post   » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:26 pm

what a sweetheart you are and what a lucky boy he is to be with you. I'm sending good wishes to you and hope he's feeling well soon.

Corrine
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:18 pm

Supermum strikes again! What a cutie pie.

All I have to say about that water bottle is ICK...poor boy.

klynne

Post   » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:54 pm

Add in some big green algae blotches and that is what Brody's bottle looked like too when I got him.

He did fine in spite of it, and I am sure Sundae will too. Especially now he is at SuperDuperMum's.

Sundae is adorable but his barber should be slapped.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:58 pm

his barber should be slapped.
I guess they were ashamed to turn him into the pound with his matts. If they didn't worry about the water bottle being black, can you imagine how bad he must have looked?

macepeki

Post   » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:19 pm

Mum, he's a cutie, and he has found the ideal home with you. How could they have the water bottle like that? Gosh, some people really deserve the same treatment for doing that to little defenceless creatures.

rachelm

Post   » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:05 pm

Such an adorable pig, but again, looking very thin for one year? That water bottle makes me sick. Yuk yuk yuk! If it were me I'd start on ivermectin but hold off on bathing him until he's more settled, by which time it may emerge that the bald patch is something or nothing.

Anyway, I am positive he's in the best of hands. Good on you, mum!

klynne

Post   » Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:48 pm

We need a Sundae update!

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:58 pm

He's doing very nicely! He doesn't skitter around the cage when I put my hand in anymore. He loves his veggies. I think he'll be just fine :-)

So I suppose I need to put this little cutie up for adoption now :-(

Who wants a beautiful, cuddly young boy??

klynne

Post   » Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:26 pm

"Who wants a beautiful, cuddly young boy??"

All of us if he's at least 21. Oh, you were talking about guinea pigs, huh?

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:35 pm

Oh Mum you know you want to keep him as a forever baby.

slfalzone

Post   » Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:31 pm

Hi Mum. You have been such a wonderful friend and advisor to me. Just wanted you to know I am always thinking of you and your little ones and always check your threads even when I don't have anything to post.

I'm so glad that Sundae is doing well in your care. He is gorgeous!

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:20 am

He's turning into a regular cuddly pig, and he doesn't run away from me now. I think he's a bit amazed that the food, hay, veggies, and water are all clean and in constant supply! It makes me so sad that he has to be quarantined for three long weeks - I think he could really use a friend. I'll have to get my daughter to move him to the top of the 'favored pig' list for a bit so he gets lots of attention for the next few weeks.

I'm thinking that if he doesn't spark any interest in potential adopters fairly soon I might have him neutered to broaden his chances. He is such a beautiful boy (much whiter than it shows in the pictures), and I'd be surprised if he's actually a year old.

Of course, I always want to keep all of them - but unless they have serious medical issues, they have to find homes so I can pull some other sad pig from the shelter.

klynne

Post   » Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:14 pm

I admire that, Mum, but keep in mind even us crazy rescue people are allowed to have one or two healthy ones in our flock, too!

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:21 pm

Well, we already have two personal pigs. And now we have 3 in the special needs group. So, I don't think there's room for another or our own :-(

168 posts