Sundae

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:31 pm

A quick update: Sundae has now been back for 3 weeks, and he's gained a mere 1.75 ounces. He continues to eat everything in sight, including about 50cc of critical care a day (he eats it out of a bowl).

I see no signs at all of anything wrong with him, except for his extreme thinness. He plays with his water bottle, and manages to drink/dump 16 ounces daily - but he may be bored. I see no obvious signs of pain.

He's lively and alert.

My friend, who's a nurse, says that he reminds her of a child who has been starved - it can take a long time to put actual weight back on.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:53 pm

I rescued a pig from a park that was clearly starved. He was very thin and there was no output for a day or two. I handfed him for a while and cleaned him up (he was pretty beat up). It's been a few years but he wound up being a 3 1/2 pounder within the year.

Topaz

Post   » Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:26 pm

My fingers are crossed too Mum.

Maybe he's just a petite guy? I had a guinea pig that was always a runty little girl. Solid though. No matter what I did or fed her, she stayed slim and solid and quick! While her friend, same age, was plump and soft and slooooow.

He sounds like he's doing o.k. though. Hopefully he'll gain just a bit more.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:01 pm

Maybe he's just a petite guy?
I wish. But he weighed 8.5 ounces more one year ago - and he was only about 6 months old then.

I can feel every bone in his body.
he wound up being a 3 1/2 pounder within the year.
That would make my day!

klynne

Post   » Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:19 am

Mum, kidney issues? Sorry, just came to mind, the water thing, and the emaciated state.

Even if the starvation came first, was primary, being that starved could have damaged his kidneys and liver.

Any chance your vet will sell you your own blood chemistry lab at-home set? :/

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:29 am

Klynne, I had the same thought.

I haven't yet had his blood tested, though. I had his molars checked visually, but I've been loathe to have any tests done that might cause him the slightest stress - he feels so fragile I'm even uncomfortable having him xrayed (which is a first for me!).

If it's kidney failure I guess there's not much that can be done anyway (I think this is correct, no?).

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:57 am

Subcues, beet juice, possibly other things too but can't remember.

Djakarta

Post   » Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:20 pm

Is it possible that he has an internal parasite? (Can guinea pigs get worms, ie tapeworms?) Could worms be detected by a fecal analysis?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:28 pm

It's possible, but unlikely. His adopter certainly never let these pigs outside - she barely fed them, let alone put them outside to graze!

Good point though.

klynne

Post   » Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:54 pm

Do an oral dose of Ivermectin, just to rule it out, then.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:44 pm

Good idea - thanks!

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:05 pm

Diabetes?

Weight loss plus lots of drinking makes me a little suspicious.