What to check at the vet

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:47 am

Mum you are so special. Muffin is so lucky to be living in your care. Hope she gets to feeling better.

Hope Spot is doing ok.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:01 am

Muffin went back to Dr. Ridgeway to check on that stone.

It's still lodged at the very edge of her urethra. It seems to cause her no pain, no blood, and she has no other symptoms, but we're going to have it removed next Thursday since the vet is going out of town, and we don't want to risk a problem while he's away.

I'll unfortunately be out of town all next week, but LAWomans is going to take Muffin in. Since she's fostering Eloise and Muffin, I know Muffin will be in good hands - but I hate not to be around.

Fweeprluvr

Post   » Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:29 am

Just a thought---If Dr. R is going away right after the surgery, then he won't be around if there are any complications. Something to think about. Good luck.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:45 am

I know. But the concern is that something may go wrong with the stone in place when he's gone otherwise.

It's not my favorite situation!

Fweeprluvr

Post   » Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:56 pm

I know, good luck!

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:55 am

Muffin's stone was removed last week. Apparently it was absolutely enormous - even for a human. The vet was astounded at the size, and said if it had moved either way it would have killed her.

The extraordinary thing is that she's never shown a single symptom. Apparently right after the surgery she was happily popcorning and eating as usual (surgery only required a quick anesthesia, and then Dr. R. was able to grab the stone from her eurethra where it was lodged at the opening).

I'm going to send it in to the UC Davis study.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:16 pm

How big is "enormous"?

I hope this is the last stone she has.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:24 am

When I get the stone tomorrow, I'll post a picture.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:36 am

I know this is an old thread but there is an animal opthamologist (sp?) here in Orange County. Chary would remember the name. If you still have contact with her tell her that Sue Myles from Companion Dogs (adopted Sea Biscuit) took Arthur there a couple years ago.

I'm also curious if you had the vet techs at LBAH do the toenail clip? They have been very competent getting blood from my pigs and stopping if there is just too much stress without clipping the toenail.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:44 am

Thanks, Holly. No, the toenail overclip was done up here at my vet's office. Since then they've learned how to do them much more efficiently, and without stress. They even prefer them to other methods!

I'm not worrying about Muffin's blindness anymore since we realized she's not a young pig from the xrays done at Dr. Ridgeway's office.

I don't think she's terribly adoptable anyway, due to both her age, her eyesight, and now the stone. And her cagemate (who is only a year old) has heart problems, so they're probably staying in the rescue.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:47 am

Oh okay. You know the xrays can lie a little. I have a pig here that Dr. R called 'old' and she was only two. I know her birthdate. Her xrays showed some rib fusion and other things likely seen on an elderly pig.

Fweeprluvr

Post   » Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:12 am

Glad everything went well.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:40 pm

Here's a picture of the stone that was removed from Muffin's urethra:

I sent it off to the link in the stone study. Hopefully, Muffin will never have another stone!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:14 pm

That is some stone!

mooser

Post   » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:28 pm

That is pretty big! There was a bladder stone removal today at my vet's and they seemed like they were 1mm in diameter.

Are they sure there's only one stone?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:17 am

Yup, that's what the vet said. As I also mentioned above, he said if it had moved at all either way she would have died (so I wonder how it got there in the first place?)

And she had it for at least a month - without it moving - probably longer. She showed absolutely no symptoms at all - it was a total fluke I took an xray (to check her heart - and not because she had any symptoms of a heart pig, just that we were xraying her cagemate).

56 posts