I cannot believe I missed this

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:49 am

Good luck truffie! I use Revolution now as it is so darn easy and you only have to treat once.
For some stupid reason, no matter how much I marked on the calendar, I would get to the third dose of ivermectin and miss the 7-10 day period, and then have to start over.
I think I got my Revolution from the vet though, not sure if feed stores carry it.

Dani had the same kind of problem with the hair coming out in little clumps, with a piece of skin attached, and always had tons of dandruff. She was treated with ivermectin many times, and it never solved the problem.
There was even a thread about this (started by Teresa, I think) because she had a pig with the same thing.
I never did find out what it was.
Good luck with Apple. I think all of us have that one time we go" How did we miss that!?" .

truffie
I gave AGAIN, dammit!

Post   » Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:00 pm

Gee, I wonder if it's something other than mites? I will treat her today (and the other pigs), but I wonder if a vet visit is in order, anyway? I'd hate to do 3-4 treatments and, a month from now, she's in the same shape as she is now. Ugh.

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:09 pm

You have to try for the mites first. I know with Dani, it really never seemed to bother her at all.
She won't be in the same shape, I also think it's mites that is causing the hair loss and skittishness.
I was just saying that the hair coming out in little clumps may be something else altogether.
Let us know if treating for mites cures that one thing.

truffie
I gave AGAIN, dammit!

Post   » Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:20 pm

Is Revolution a better way to go? I don't mind the multiple doses of Ivermectin, but would the Revolution work faster? Is it only available from a vet only? I will make the drive to the vet if it's for a better/faster solution.

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:27 pm

That is open to debate. There are lots of people on here that really prefer ivermectin, but I love the Revolution because it is one dose and you are done.
I'm not sure which is quicker, I used ivermectin (by the way, I had to get my propylene glycol from the vet) but once Revolution came on the scene, I have used that exclusively for about 2 years now.
Ivermectin is cheaper, I think.
I used REvolution with Molly and before two weeks were up, she was regrowing all her hair and was fine. She was not acting like she had mites, though, she had a lot of hairloss on her belly and some on her back.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:28 pm

Ditto on the trying for mites first.

What I would do (not as severe as you describe) is shampoo with Nizoral shampoo, dry thoroughly, treat topically with ivermectin. This combination invariably helped with the hair clumps and skin pieces. The shampoo and ivermectin treatments would be repeated at least once (or more) every 7-10 days.

You need a good calendar so you don't forget the ivermectin. After a couple shampoos, you can continue with it for an additional few treatments if warranted.

Always draw individual doses of ivermectin and treat one pig at a time.

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:34 pm

Lynx, if she is that skittish and sore, I think giving her a bath will hurt like hell.
I would allow the mite treatment to work first for a couple weeks and then do the bath.
I think the scurfy skin thing is not nearly as irritating as the mites.
So sorry to disagree, poor truffie just wants to know what to do quickly! But I would not put her through a bath right now.
Just my opinion.

truffie
I gave AGAIN, dammit!

Post   » Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:49 pm

Okay, I have a plan. You guys are so enormously helpful. I really don't think I would have the physical strength to contain Apples for a bath, seriously. I can't even impress upon you guys how she HATES to be corralled in any way. She will sit stock still on a lap, and she didn't move or make a sound while I was picking through her fur for a good 10 minutes this morning (which is really, really odd, considering the pain she MUST be in), but if you're trying to hold her still in any way, forget it. So, I will do the Ivermectin, preferably topically, and poor Apples will just have to wait a few days before she feels better. Should I keep giving the Metacam for a week or so? Off to the tack store. I'm sure I'll be back before long with more questions:/

truffie
I gave AGAIN, dammit!

Post   » Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:50 pm

double post

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:52 pm

You certainly could do a couple ivermectin treatments and then try the shampoo if you wanted.

truffie
I gave AGAIN, dammit!

Post   » Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:55 pm

That's what I'll do - see if she seems any better after a couple of doses, then go for the bath. I read back over this thread and realized I keep flip-flopping on which method to use. I'm going to try to get the 1% injectable, and if they only have paste, then that will decide it for me.

whittibo

Post   » Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:57 pm

Good choice! Get the paste and at least get her treated today if possible. Then you can always order the injectable. Others have ordered the pour on and I think it is easier to dose because you use more of it? But I haven't ever used it so I don't have any links. :(

I just think you'll get more doses out of the injectable. I gave about 1/4 of my bottle away, I have been using it for a year + on 3 pigs and still have more then half a bottle left. I think it will be old before I actually use it all.