I cannot believe I missed this

truffie
I gave AGAIN, dammit!

Post   » Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:47 am

Okay, Ivermectin - Take 2. This is what the box says. If I had read it the first time, I would have gotten this one in the first place. Anyway, it says: Zimecterin
(ivermectin) 1.87% paste
Anthelmintic and boticide
Removes worms and bots w/a single dose
Does this sound right?

whittibo

Post   » Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:53 am

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:54 am

So long as the only active ingredient is ivermectin, that is the product.

A vet can give a steriod if there is lots of pain from the itching too.

truffie
I gave AGAIN, dammit!

Post   » Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:05 pm

Whittibo, that link is really helpful. Yes, Zimecterin is the brand. There are no other ingredients listed except Ivermectrin. But, I am now thinking that since I'll be at the vet's anyway, I wonder if he would sell me the 1% that Lynx likes so much, even though he won't be seeing the other pigs. I can't see paying for 3 pigs to be examined - there's nothing to see on the other two anyway. Well, either way, I have the paste now as a last resort, and I will ask about the 1%. Liquid sounds easier to me, too.

I'm sure it's nothing, but it says on the paste box more than once that it's for use ONLY in horses, and can cause fatality in dogs. Is it still okay? Sorry, but I am so paranoid of screwing this up.

whittibo

Post   » Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:16 pm

My bottle says for cattle and swine. :s

I wouldln't worry about the lable on the package, I think you have the right stuff.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:30 pm

Some dogs can't have ivermectin. Ivermectin is off-label for pigs, too, since there aren't many (any???) meds that have actually had pigs used in clinical trials for themselves!

klynne

Post   » Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:10 pm

The Zimectrin is the right product, as far as it only being Ivermectin as active ingredient. I personally, like Lynx, prefer the liquid injectable.

You said you had a feed store near you, right? They should have the 1 % injectable there. Expect to pay around thirty to forty bucks, but cheaper by far than three vet exams, and you will have enough to do as many repeat treatments as you need and will still probably not run out before it expires.

And yes, these are off label uses--but there is a great safety record anecdotally established. I even took my bottle of injectable for Cattle and Swine in to my vet and he said, "Yup, that is what we use."

As far as the Epi Soothe, Talishan generously ordered that for Henry, so maybe she can give you the link when she comes on later. It got here in just a few days and that would be good timing after you treat with the Ivomec.

One more thing--expect Apples to get even a bit itchier right after treatment. It seems they sort of react to all the thousands of dead mite bodies and get even itchier for a day or two. It's still progress.

InkysMom

Post   » Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:27 pm

I did a survey at my local feed store (haven't had mites but want to be prepared!) and they had several brands of the straight 1.87% ivermectin paste for horses. I did not see any 1% injectable solution. I am in a suburban area outside St. Louis and we have lots of horses but few cattle and hardly any swine in the area. So Truffie, depending on how far you are from the city, I'm not sure if you'll find the injectable at your feed store. However, the paste you got the second time IS the correct stuff. It's what I am planning to buy if I ever need to.

Also, thank you to the person who said you could mix the paste with canola oil. I had not seen that anywhere and may try it if I don't like mixing with water.

truffie
I gave AGAIN, dammit!

Post   » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:04 pm

Back from the vet. I left her there for awhile and just picked her up. She has mites, lice, and a bacterial infection. Good thing I opted for a visit to the vet! They gave her a bath and got a lot of the scale off of her skin, gave her a dose of 1% injectable ivermectin orally, and sulfatrim. He said I could mix up the paste and do the remaining doses myself (along with the other pigs), or pick up the dose of the injectable from him, didn't matter to him. He charged me $16.40 for today's dose. I'll try the paste mixture for the other girls tonight. If it's a pain in the butt, I'll pay him for the remaining doses. If it goes well, I'll do it myself. He said she should look and feel better by the end of the week.

whittibo

Post   » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:13 pm

Yeah! It worked out perfectly then!

If the paste doesn't work out, don't buy the doses from him, just order from Valley Vet or some other place, it will be much cheaper and you'll have a lifetime supply of it.

Did she get any pain meds? Or does he not think she needs them? (or is that what sulfatrim is?)

truffie
I gave AGAIN, dammit!

Post   » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:18 pm

Sulfatrim is the AB for the infection. I told him I gave her a dose of Metacam yesterday, and he said to go ahead and give it to her for 3-4 more days since I have it on hand, and by then she should be feeling much better. He said he didn't think it was worth it for me to pay for a whole prescription, since I have it anyway for Snickers.

I'll check out Valley Vet for the ivermectin, just in case.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:15 pm

Really, order some 1% or 0.5% pour-on, online. You will be glad you did and much cheaper in the long run.