I cannot believe I missed this

whittibo

Post   » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:16 pm

Truffie, per E's post on the first page, Ivermectin,
(the one you're ordering from ValleyVet) will take care of her lice AND mites when you apply it topically behind the ears.

That might be enough?!

truffie
I gave AGAIN, dammit!

Post   » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:20 pm

Good. But, I still have to wait 7-10 days before using it again, right? Oh, and E did answer the question already - I can use Advantage simultaneously w/ the Ivermectin. Well I guess since I'm ordering the 1% and that does both jobs, I'll just go with one-stop-shopping. And it's okay to mix treatments - oral today, and topical for the next two treatments?

whittibo

Post   » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:47 pm

I don't see why you can't do topical after oral.

You do have to wait 7 days, but you might not even get it before then, but she should be having some relief from all the other treatments, treating the lice in 7 days might be OK? You might not need to use the Advantage now?!

If this was me, I think I would wait for the Ivermectin and treat again then and not do Advantage now. ONLY because she has had many treatments, and if there's any interactions or problems, you won't know which was the cause. But this is out of my league, so I really don't know what proper protocol would be. :(

Evangeline

Post   » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:51 pm

Yes, you can switch the way you administer the Ivermectin without any problem because it's a systemic drug.

Usually, there is no problem using Ivermectin and Advantage together. Some people prefer to wait 2-3 days between them, though.

If you decide to wait for the 1% solution, you can treat orally every 7 days until you receive the new bottle and then do the rest of the doses topically.

truffie
I gave AGAIN, dammit!

Post   » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:13 pm

So, I just took Sugar out and gave her a good going-over. Snickers has been barbering her, but I noticed that right on her back (where Snickers doesn't barber), she has that same scaly/dandruffy skin that Apples has - with the pieces of hair that come out, with a little piece of skin attached to them. This is no surprise, since Apples is so badly affected. Sugar doesn't seem quite as severe. But, her hind end is also clearly thinned out, and I'm sure it's not all due to the barbering. Again, no surprise. My question is, how do I know if she also has a bacterial infection, vs. just mites (and probably lice)? I don't know how the vet diagnosed the infection. I will definitely call him in the morning and see if she needs to be seen. Would a bacterial infection be contagious, or just the mites and lice? Snickers does show no symptoms, and I would notice for sure cause I hold her to feed her at least twice every day. I guess I better take them both in.

The 1% injectable Ivermectin was shipped yesterday, so I should have that by Friday, but I don't know if Sugar (and maybe Snickers) need AB's also. Any ideas?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:26 pm

"...same scaly/dandruffy skin that Apples has - with the pieces of hair that come out, with a little piece of skin attached to them."

Does this sound fungal to anyone else, or am I hallucinating?

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:32 pm

Who knows. Dani had that and she was treated for lice and mites and every kind of fungal infection, and still had it.
But I know others have had some luck in erradicating it, so we'll hope Truffie falls into that category!

truffie
I gave AGAIN, dammit!

Post   » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:42 pm

What's the difference in a fungal infection vs. bacterial? The vet definitely said Apples has a bacterial infection, for which she is getting sulfatrim. What is the treatment if it was fungal? I am definitely taking Sugar AND Snickers in tomorrow. Even though Snickers shows no symptoms, I am taking no chances. In fact, Instead of waiting for the Ivermectin to arrive, I'm going to have him dose each of them tomorrow, and I will do doses 2 and 3 (and 4 and 5?) on my own.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:50 pm

If it was fungal you'd bath the pig in a Malaseb or Nizoral bath.

truffie
I gave AGAIN, dammit!

Post   » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:03 pm

Can I get that at a pet store, or do I have to get it from the vet? He says it's bacterial. What if I bathed them in that stuff just as a precaution?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:09 pm

Nizoral is a human shampoo you can often find in a drug store. Malaseb is often sold by vets or in pet stores. Either would be fine. But don't bath them while they still have mites - the mites will try to burrow deeper and it will hurt.

truffie
I gave AGAIN, dammit!

Post   » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:13 pm

Thanks mum. I'll see what he says tomorrow and take it from there.