I cannot believe I missed this

Lyndsay

Post   » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:26 pm

Ok, I figured out what I'm doing now. Thanks.

truffie
I gave AGAIN, dammit!

Post   » Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:33 am

Okay, all three pigs have had 3 treatments, each 7 days apart. Apples' third treatment was Monday, Snickers and Sugar were done yesterday. Apples still has a scab on her back, not real big. Her skin is much less scaly, and I would say her hair is starting to grow back. She finished the Sulfatrim awhile ago. Should I give her a fourth treatment next Monday, just to be on the safe side? How about the other two? Snickers never did show any symptoms at all, so I'm not going to treat her again, but maybe Apples and Sugar could use one more? How do I know when they've had enough treatments?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:40 am

If a pig still has a scab I'd treat again. It never really makes sense to treat just one pig, so you might go ahead and dose all of them one more time, if they're together in one cage.

whittibo

Post   » Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:01 am

Glad Apples and Sugar are getting better.

As for knowing when they had enough, I think for me, I would rather give treatments above and beyond, just to be sure. (since it's not harmful).

The first time I treated our pigs, I only did 2 treatments, and it wasn't enough. A couple weeks later they were scratching again, so I had to start all over again. So I would say one more won't hurt.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:16 pm

Yes, it won't hurt. I'd give another one too.

Lyndsay

Post   » Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:46 pm

Just checking to make sure I have this absolutly correct.
My tube of 1.87% goes up in spans of 100kg.
So using an amount of paste for 100kg, I would then mix that with 22mL of water, and shake well.
Although the site said that it could treat 250 pounds of horse, when I ran the calculations thorugh it only actually covers 220.46 pounds?
XZander is 2.25 pounds so he would get: 0.22 cc?
Smudgee is 2.75 pounds so he would get: 0.24cc?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:11 pm

A smaller amount can be mixed by using the markings for 25 kilos (this contains 5 mg ivermectin) and mixing thoroughly with 5 cc propylene glycol, vegetable oil or water.

25 kilo dose + 5.0cc propylene glycol YIELDS (-)1mg/ml Ivermectin Solution

If you drawn a 100kg dose, mix it with 20ml of water. If you do it with 22ml of water, it's a bit weaker.

Lyndsay

Post   » Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:19 pm

Actually I think that I'm going to call around for the topical stuff. I was trying to measure the accuracy of the syringes I have, which are 1mL ones, but it didn't seem to be coming out properly, the conversions were a bit off. Since I don't have anything else to measure a mL with I can't be totally sure it's giving me an accurate reading, which scares me. Are the syringes sapposed to be blunt ended like the tube of Ivermec, or are they sapposed to have the non needle tip on it?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:28 pm

To dose orally, you use the blunt ended 1cc syringes.

I think they're the bottom syringes in this pic (going by memory):

truffie
I gave AGAIN, dammit!

Post   » Tue May 09, 2006 7:42 am

How do I know when it's okay to stop with the Ivermectin? Each pig has had four doses, seven days apart. Yesterday Apples was due for does #5, but I haven't given it. She still has a slow-healing scab on her back - looks like she cut herself - it's not a round sore, it's more straight. Definitely healing, but really slowly. I don't know if it is mites related or not. Also, her weight was the same from late January to late February, then increased 10 grams by late March. Treatment was started April 10th, and 6 weeks from the prior weigh-in, she had gained 65 grams!

Her hair is not at it's full length, but it is definitely thicker now. All she has is what I'd call dandruff, for which I need to shampoo her again. Given the hair re-growth and the weight gain, is it safe to assume that a 5th treatment isn't necessary? The other two pigs seem perfectly fine.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue May 09, 2006 9:23 am

All she has is what I'd call dandruff, for which I need to shampoo her again.
I'd give her a bath in either Malaseb or Nizoral - be sure to leave on for the full 10 minutes.

The 5th dose won't hurt her, should you decide to give it.

truffie
I gave AGAIN, dammit!

Post   » Tue May 09, 2006 9:41 am

Thanks Mum. I'll give it to her today, and then I think I'm finally done. Baths for everyone this weekend!