cut nail too far - bleeding lots - urgen

Jools63

Post   » Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:26 pm

just cut spike's nails - he moved and cut too far - there's lots of blood - or seems like to me - not got syptic thing - what the hell do i do

slfalzone

Post   » Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:29 pm

i think soap - don't do it till i check........be right back

slfalzone

Post   » Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:33 pm

check this thread - says ivory soap ans wheat flour ...https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... ting+nails

how's it looking?
Last edited by slfalzone on Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ellenvega
Skol Pigs!

Post   » Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:33 pm

Corn starch. Or flour.

Jools63

Post   » Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:37 pm

still bleeding lots - whats ivory soap - will ordinary soap do - i only have dove - i have flour should i use that

ellenvega
Skol Pigs!

Post   » Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:41 pm

Any type of flour. In that thread they just used a bar of soap. Any bar should work in a pinch.

Jools63

Post   » Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:47 pm

wot do i do too much blood to get in flour or soap

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:58 pm

Corn starch. Just get some and put it in the center of a paper napkin (a hefty pile of it) and wrap it around your pig's foot while you cuddle them.

It will get caked on (especially if you use gentle pressure) and the toe will eventually stop bleeding.

It really does bleed a lot sometimes, and can be quite scary.

After it stops bleeding, check your pig once or twice a day to make sure it's clean and is not getting infected.

whittibo

Post   » Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:05 pm

Ugh, I am of no help, but am so sorry, this must be very scary!

I am paranoid of cutting nails for THAT reason. I will keep corn starch/flour in mind.

I hope your piggy is OK. And hope YOU are OK too!

Jools63

Post   » Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:07 pm

ok panic over for now! flippin hell that was a lot of blood - looks like texas chainsaw massacre here - you should see the bedspread. managed to get it to stop through the soap.

cant thank you guys enough - dont know what i wouldve done without you. god i need a vodka!

truffie
I gave AGAIN, dammit!

Post   » Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:10 pm

For future reference, get some of that powder (whatever it's called) - ask at the pet store. It works really well.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:28 pm

Ha - I had the vet techs calling me names because I made them do a toenail overclip recently and it took so long to get the blood they were afraid of killing the animal!

Glad you got it stopped.