Ack! Why did Jackie lose weight?

LER

Post   » Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:25 pm

I'll be thinking of Jackie!!

lisam

Post   » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:24 pm

Whoohoo, Jackie! Here's to a quick recovery.

SylvesterPiggie

Post   » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:55 pm

Good thoughts!

Serena
It started with Louie...

Post   » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:31 pm

Sending good thoughts and well wishes for Jackie.

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:33 pm

Yipee for Jackie and Salana!

Robyn3939
Lethal Lover

Post   » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:38 pm

Jackies gonna get some Womens...Jackies gonna get some Womens...Finally!

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:06 pm

Just got a call from Dr. Pilny. Jackie's surgery is done and he's recovering from the anesthesia. He did great and I'm sure he'll be spoiled tonight--they even have organic carrot greens for him, his favorite. If all goes well, tomorrow he'll be coming home so he can gaze longingly at the womens until he can go in with them.

Dr. Pilny does an abdominal neuter surgery, not a scrotal surgery. Basically he cuts in the lower part of the abdomen and pulls the testicles and stuff out through the inguinal ring and then through the incision. He says this is a more complete removal, as well as the incision being in a cleaner place that's dragged on the ground less. Has anyone had this type of surgery done on their boars?

Dr. Pilny is also using a different kind of suture than PDS, which Suzi had such terrible reactions to. I don't remember precisely, but I think he said he was using Vicryl (sp?).

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:28 pm

So glad the neuter went well!

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:13 pm

Good news about Jackie. I hope his recovery is uneventful. Keep us updated about his incision and all that jazz. Here's to weemens!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:49 pm

Not up on technique (only have Teresa's info on Cavy Spirit to refer to). How do the two descriptions compare to what he does?

Sounds like you have a good vet. Has he had better luck with this other surgical material?

Hope he heals quickly and well!

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:00 pm

Dr. Pilny has only had one or two pigs have suture reactions in his career, and was surprised that I've had so many (Doom, Flake, Suzi). But, since there might be a genetic component to it, he was happy to try something different with Jackie.

The two protocols on CavySpirit are scrotal techniques--an incision is made on each half of the scrotum. With the abdominal technique, only one incision is made, in the abdomen. He also thinks this lets him remove more of the epididymus and vas deferens, I believe, because he can cut them off above where they go through the inguinal ring. Guinea pigs have that weird testicular anatomy where their testicles can go in and out of the abdomen, which makes this neuter protocol easier. It also keeps Jackie's Butt of Eternal Stench from getting who-knows-what in the incision.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:03 pm

Ah, so this keeps the incision further from possible sources of infection/abscess (hopefully).

How many neuters has he done this way? Did he develop the technique or is it one taught elsewhere?