Ack! Why did Jackie lose weight?

JaneDoe

Post   » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:19 pm

"I wish we could just lay out a donut and cake spread and they'd be able to put lost weight back on."

That's how I felt about Pippin :s

Sending good thoughts your way.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:52 am

Little Jackie is scuttling around like a cockroach. I guess maybe he could have a pinched nerve? I'm going to try to make an appointment for Friday for him. What should I ask the vet? Obviously he needs another X-ray.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:43 am

Aw poor guy.

momof911kids
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:18 am

Salana just called me and asked me to post for her. She's on her way to the vet with Jackie. Jackie is breathing heavy, making gurgley noises (like a warthog) when he breathes, he has blood coming out of his nose and mouth, and there's blood in the corner of his left eye.

What should she do besides an xray at the vets?

Bugs Mom

Post   » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:21 am

Beyond an x-ray I have no advice but am holding good healing thoughts for Jackie. Come on little guy. Stay with us!

Brimstone
For Rocky

Post   » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:42 am

Oh man. Poor little Jackie, and poor Salana. Thinking good thoughts for both of you.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:17 pm

Stinky Jackie is actually doing better than he looked. He was only bleeding from the one nostril and it got all over his nose and mouth.

The vet did X-rays of his chest and head. They don't have a dental X-ray machine, just a regular one. His lungs were clear and his heart was normal sized (not quite to the fourth rib). She was worried about a) infection, b) teeth, or c) tumor in the nose. She said tumors in the nose generally eat away at the bone, and his bones looked fine on X-ray, plus there was nothing clouding up the nasal passages. His roots were not elongated and his teeth generally looked good. So she took a culture of his nose and is sending that out to see what kind of antibiotics he should be on, and started him on Bactrim (which he had recently been on for snots).

He did have loud breathing (an episode of "hork"y breathing, and some whistly breathing) but those were distinct episodes and the whistling was immediately followed by his nose bleeding a little more. Generally his attitude is good--he was eating hay in the carrier, and biting the towel to show how angry he was about the whole thing.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:54 pm

Hopefully the culture will pinpoint what's wrong. Please don't scare your momma or us like that again Jackie!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:29 pm

I hope it was just some kind of freak bleeding due to dry air or something (I'm sure guinea pigs mucosa is susceptible to dry air bleeding like ours is). We need him around for a long time!

cavyslave8
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:17 pm

I hope he's ok. That would've scared the daylights out of me.

Bugs Mom is right, don't scare us like that again.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:27 am

Jackie's nose has been unbloody all afternoon and evening and he is currently fighting with his mom over pellets. If he bleeds again I'm thinking maybe I should Q-tip some vaseline into his nose like I do with mine. Thoughts?

The vet told me if his nose starts bleeding again to apply pressure on it. HA! Jackie flipped out when I tried to clean off his face earlier today. I can't imagine trying to put pressure on it.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:58 am

Jackie! Don't scare us like that.

Maybe it is his weathercast-way of saying there is no humidity!